Current "must have" C&R Rifle?

straightShot

Scenario: $200 hidden away in a coffee can. Looking for opinions and thoughts on this one.

Which current C&R rifle is a "I just gotta have it" or "it's a great deal" and I should get one now sort of rifle? Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated, as well as sources. There definitely isn't a 'wrong' answer.

straightShot

Noban

Most definately a Mauser M-98/29. SAMCO is selling these in your price range. I already have one and it's far and away the best looking and shooting Mauser I have. These were made in Persia (modern-day Iran) and most saw only parade use. Beautiful rifles.

Noban

Bruegger

I like both previous suggestions. I'll be getting myself one of those Danish Garands this Summer I hope.

Big 5 is selling FR-8s in the range of $150. I assume you already have a Yugo M-48 and 24/47? Both of these can be found in Excellent condition for under $200.

Correia

There are a lot of really nice Nagants right now. I picked up a Russian M44, that has lots of "character" but shoots great.

I've also seen some of the Yugo Mausers advertised as excellent condition that really are beautiful guns.

Bruegger

Dead -- Doesn't look like Big 5 is in PA. I checked the yellow pages online and couldn't find a listing. Maybe it's just a Kali chain store?

As for the Yugos, I'd strongly recommend getting one while they last. You should be able to find an almost-"new" M-48 for $175 or less with all the trimmings. Every one I've seen was SWEET! The 24/47s are reconditioned M-24s, but a lot of them will have "brand new" barrels, reblued parts and new wood, plus all the goodies for about the same price. Of course, if you have a C&R, you can get them much cheaper from J&G Sales...

I like my FR-8 too (just got it today!) and it's just about the most unusual looking Mauser out there, with the sub-18" bbl, flash suppressor and "gas tube."

scottsw1

MUST HAVE C&Rs

I received my C&R about a month ago and have already bought 2 of the must have guns:

1: FR-8 Spanish Mauser. $179.00 from Aim Surplus, but Century should be getting some more "Very Good" condition rifles and they sell for $169.00 with free shipping. Aim took these rifle off their website because they are getting low but they still have a few. This rifle is a carbine and could fill the role of a lever action such as a Winchester 94.

2: Yugo M48A Mauser. Ordered one from Coles Distributing in unissued condition for $ 99.00. Rifle came with sling, cleaning kit, and leather ammo pouch. Not to brag but this rifle is nice! This rifle is probably the best deal going right now, ordered a case(1000 rounds) of Turkish ammo today from Century for $60.00. I think that I will have enough ammo to last my lifetime for this rifle. I haven't shot this rifle yet but plan to next week.

If you want more info on the FR-8 there are a couple of web site that describe it and there is a great Yugo forum at :http://pub42.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums
Good Luck. Scott

Gewehr98

Don't forget about the Lee-Enfield No5Mk1 Jungle Carbine!

The batch of originals coming in from Malaysia is still fairly cheap, even though they've seen a good bit of use. Not a whole lot of fun to shoot, but definitely cute little guys, and there aren't that many left out there in the collector's world...