Current lever actions

Jack O'Conner

Yesterday I attended the huge Sportsman's Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I handled nearly all the current lever action rifles and carbines. The "new" Marlins seem quite well made to me. Same goes for the Rio Grande model by Rossi. I thought the Mossberg 464 seemed a little rough to operate in comparison. But still a good rifle; my nephew has one. Winchester model 94 and 71 are pricey imports but exceptionally well made. Browning's BLR is tops but so is pricing. Smoothest of all are the modified Marlins built by Wild West Guns of Alaska. The representative explained that the internal parts are polished.

I did not handle the new Henry Long Ranger because of the large crowd at this display booth.

Today's consumers have a wide choice of lever actions to choose from.

Jack

Last edited:

Bamashooter

My next rifle will be a Henry lever action Im just not sure which one yet. There are so many and more coming out so for now I will keep saving and wait until the right one calls my name.

k2man

I have a Marlin 1895 SBL on the way. Hope
the action is fairly smooth. Have a trigger
already here from WWG in Alaska ready to go in it. Gonna have some fun with it.

Husqvarna

I almost pulled the trigger so to speak on a longranger in 223, I do love my blr ;) but a 223 blr is like a unicorn in europe

I might do it in a couple of.years when the kinks have been worked out
Got a cz527 instead

That the mounts would obscure the irons Was a big nono for me, for such a rifle at that price to not have integrated mounts is stupid

Lucas McCain

Winchester is the most popular lever action. But in my opinion the savage model 99 is the very best of all of them. I have two in my safe, a 250-3000 and a 358. They are both excellent guns. The 358 has plenty of knock down power and is my favorite for a woods gun. I have taken several black bear with it and 1 moose. The 250 - 3000 shoots a nickel size 5 shot group at a 100 USA and is a great deer, antelope and coyote gun. The biggest drawback for them way back at day one was the fact that they were more expensive than a Winchester or marlin, and they still are, but I'be never been sorry that I paid the higher price and they keep on appreciating in value at a pretty good rate. They have depreciateda single dime.

Joe-ker

I'm with reb, I'd gladly take another Henry. Me thinks if they had a side gate their sales would be even higher. Gotta hand it to them they've done a good job marketing. Made in America is great.

Lucas McCain

Yes Bamaranger, I do like leveractions. As young boy I was left handed and blind in my right eye. This meant that I had to shoot left handed. When I started to hunt I got my Granddads lever action 12 ga. 1901 Winchester. And his 1885 low wall in a 32 rim fire. Back then you could still find ammo for it in the local hardware store.
There were no left hand rifles, that we knew of, to be had. So the leveraction was the gun for me. I guess you could say that I cut my teeth on them. When I was old enough to buy my own gun I bought a 32 Win.Special. I trapped pocket gophers all summer long, caught a little over 300 of them at 25 cents apiece. I rode my bicycle over most of the township trapping gophers. Believe me when I
Tell you that that gun is the most precious gun in the safe and my #1 favorite.
I do have a about a dozen or so left hand rifles that I shoot, but yes I do have a soft spot for lever actions and now I can afford the 99 savages.

Gunplummer

I don't see that the 99 is more expensive if you buy a shooter and not a collector gun. What is the price range of these newer lever guns, $400-$500?

bamaranger

show

I'm glad to hear the big show in PA is still doing well after being rescued from its debacle a few years back.

The Long Ranger seems appealing, and in all things.......223. I suppose I just want to run counter the AR culture. But...cost will prohibit me ever owning one I suppose.

Ahh...the .32 Special, I remember that old number, it was not all that uncommon in my small town as a deer cartridge. Yes Lucas, the lever solves the cross dominant issue, very good point. A top eject is an ambidexterous action!

I do not own a Savage 99, the the 99A series, or the Saddle Gun, with straight grip and 20" tube, is sure pretty. One of those in .250, or even .243 would be slick....but all 99's have gotten pricey with the gun scribes singing their praises these days.

Lastly, yes, I am indeed proud of Henry and their products...made right here, how can you top that? My outfit gave me a standard .22 Henry Lever when I aged out (retired seems.....old) and I am tickled with it.

Targa

Very nice lamarw, my dad has the same rifle chambered in .357, it is a beauty. I actually find the tube load a nice change from the loading gate on my lever actions.