Currahee! A Screaming Eagle At Normandy.

Buzzcook

Early in the Battle of the Bulge elements of the 506 Parachute Regiment, 10th Armored and some tank destroyers were cut off from Bastogne when the German's took the town of Foy.
During the fighting withdrawal, Paratrooper Donald Burgett boards a truck with a .50 caliber machine gun mounted. The driver asks Burgett if he can shoot the .50 to which ne replies "I can shoot anything".

http://www.donaldrburgett.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Burgett

Well Burgett and the men of A Company 1st Battalion of the 506 Parachute Infantry do encounter and shoot a heck of a lot of different guns between landing in Normandy and being sent home after the war.

Burgett carries an M1 Garand and also mans the platoons .30 cal machine gun on occasion. He also carries a nickel plated 1911 .45 that his dad sent him. Twice in combat he's left with nothing but his .45, not something he enjoyed.

In Normandy Burgett comes across a medic armed with a six shooter, who does a quick draw on a German soldier. Later in the battle a buddy shows him a burp gun with the barrel bent at a 45 degree angle for shooting around corners.

Through out the war paratroopers pick up enemy weapons. But their biggest was a 88mm anti tank gun (which they should have left alone.

After Bastonge A Company re-liberates a Sherman tank and keeps it as a pet despite howls of protest from tankers. Paratroopers had already been used to man tanks that had lost their crews during the bulge.

As the 101st moved into Germany the captured a cache of hundred of weapons old and new that German's had taken as war prizes. One of them was a miniature Thompson sub-machine gun, chambered in .25 caliber.

Troopers were ordered to destroy captured weapons. At one point Burgett and his squad destroy a hoard of high priced hunting rifles, including Drillings and other fancy guns.
Of course the orders to destroy were a bit selective when it came to officers. After the war officially ended, A Company was tasked with meeting German divisions fleeing West and disarming them. On the first day the pile of handguns alone was 6 feet high and 12 feet deep. US officers would come up from the cities to hunt through those guns taking their picks.

The last gun Burgett fired in Germany was a muzzle loading shotgun that he'd borrowed from a museum.

Of the men of A Company that landed in Normandy 11 remained by the time the war ended. All of them had been wounded at least three times some twice that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Burgett

I read Currahee first in the late 60's or early 70's. It left a big impression on me. This Christmas I thought I'd make myself a present of it. Imagine my surprise when Amazon showed that Burgett had written 3 other books in the mean time detailing his time in Holland, Bastogne, and Germany. So I bought them all.

For people interested in WWII and fans of Band of Brothers, these books are well worth the relatively small cost.
Burgett's war is more warts and all than Ambrose's retelling of the adventure of Easy company. He recounts horrors and heroics in a straight forward manner.
He enlivens the telling with some truly funny stories, some of them macabre. In Holland Burgett and his squad are taken to an outpost in the middle of the night. There are no lights because of snipers. Burgett and a buddy find a sodden sofa to sleep on while other troopers are on watch. When they wake up, in day light they find there sofa is really a bloated goat carcass.

Burgett is still alive, one of four reaming from A Company. He gave a talk that you can find on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWeDf5IlxR8

There are lots of other stories I could tell you from the books, but it's better you read them yourself.

Buzzcook

Me too Bud. The way Burgett describes that warehouse, it contained every type of weapon from ancient cannon with spiked metal wheels to modern weapons. It beggars the imagination as to what that might entail.

Oh and briefly Burgett and 3 buddys were the richest soldiers in the world. They happened on an abandoned train that was loaded with gold and US currency. This was a time when looting was legal when it came to enemy possessions. Unfortunately for them Colonel Sink and a bunch of other officers showed up and claimed the loot for Uncle Sam.

jonnyc

I also read his first as a kid back in the '60s, made a big impression on me. I hunted the rest down in the '90s and they still reside on my shelves.

jmr40

My dad was late to the fight. He was still in combat training in Paris Texas, when the battle of the Bulge started. They actually cut the training a little short and rushed his unit to Europe. He stepped off a boat in France by late January and was in Germany when the war ended. He told us the worst thing he did was crossing the Rhine river in a half track on a pontoon bridge while the Germans were trying their best to blow it up. Dad never did learn how to swim.

Dad said the Germans didn't want to surrender, but often a German officer would arrange for his men to be "captured" by them. Dad said it was nothing to see 1 GI guarding 100 or more "captured" Germans

A few days before the official end of the war they were staying in a captured town and had rounded up all the civilian weapons and were preparing to destroy them when an officer told them to pick out anything they wanted first. Dad found a brand new SXS 12 guage. Still had the hang tags on the trigger guard from a local gunshop. He rounded up some lumber, built a box and mailed it home. Cost him $1.50.

Dad will turn 89 on Monday. I have the gun in my safe and I still find a way to hunt with it at least once a year.

My father-in-law died last spring (at 89).

Being a Quartmaster he could have remained in England, but he wanted to be near the action, so he volunteered to be with the 101st, and was in all the major campaigns.
He was in the town of Bastogne when it was encircled, and brought some supplies out on a small dirt trail in the woods, via jeep to some troops in foxholes. My wife and I saw one during the tour.

The foxholes are still there (just deeper), and several guides provide very interesting personal tours of skirmish sites, and ours learned the events personally from our vets who were with both F and E Company. Our guide in
'09, is Flemish/"Belgian": Reg Jaan (or Jans), and he had some videos on Youtube.

Anyway, Lt. or Captain D- went through Hermann Goering's Haus in Bavaria, and he liberated several of Goering's handguns.
What a shame that he gave them away as gifts just after the war whenever he owed somebody a favor.

Buzzcook

It sure would have been nice to pick up a few of those guns. But the price was a little high. A Company lost about 3/4s of its men in Noville and that retreat to Bastogne.

jonnyc: do you have a favorite part of the books?

One I found amazing is when a sergeant in Noville took a Bazooka and three rockets out at night during a heavy fog. The guy listened until he he heard a tank engine. Then he creep up to the tank in the fog, felt for the "vulnerable spot, backed off till he thought he was a safe distance from the tank, and then shot it with the bazooka. The man killed three German tanks that night.

jonnyc

No particular parts that I can find, but I always recall being amazed when he listed all the junk he carried into Normandy. Oh, and the fact that they were suddenly issued motion pills. It was a pleasure watching B-O-B the first time and recognizing places and events from Burgett's books.

Buzzcook

It was a pleasure watching B-O-B the first time and recognizing places and events from Burgett's books.

Ambrose and Speilberg "borrowed" from Currahee. They offered Burgett his name on a screen credit, he asked for his name on a check instead.
Neither happened.

Buzzcook

mp44-4.jpg

I had thought it was a variation on MP 40. Looks like it's a StG 44