Cult Cartridges

Nightcrawler

You notice that there are some catridges out there that almost nobody makes guns for, few companies manufacuter ammo for, yet manage to live on? In many cases they're kept alive by a small "cult" of loyal followers. By small I mean compared to the number of those who's preferred cartrdige is .357 or .45ACP, mind you. Here are what I think are some cult cartdiges, good or bad (most of these are good cartridges, in my opinion).

To me, the fact that many of these cartridges aren't mainstream is what I like about them. :)

-10mm
-.38 Super
-.41 Magnum
-.44 Special
-.45 Super
-.450 SMC
-.45 Winchester Magnum
-.40 Super
-.400 Cor-Bon
-9x23mm
-9x18mm Makarov (It's cult in the US.)
-9x21mm Largo
-.32 H&R Magnum
-.41 Action Express

Last edited:

KSFreeman

There can be only one cult cartridge around these parts--the .41 mag. If you want to start a fight on TFL, just say something bad about it.

For example, one could say "what's it for"? (To sell, of course:D).

WESHOOT2

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT........

..........and it's shining down the bore of a 41 Action Express...............

Nightcrawler

I had forgotten about the .41AE.

Heh. Now THAT'S CULT. LOL

How does it compare to .40S&W? I mean, .41AE was designed to fit in 9mm framed guns, as was .40. The two use the same magazines (magaiznes for the MRI Baby Eagle/IMI Jericho 941, in .40 and .41AE respectively, are one in the same.)

Richard

I guess I am just about cultish when it comes to 45 Auto-Rims for my S&W Models 1917 and 625. I have been bugging Shooting Star for brass for years but to no avail. Regards, Richard

9x19

I'm a member of the 10mm cult! :p

Recently went to sign up at a local range for my CHL renewal class, and the guy tells me that the price includes 100 rounds of ammo... I said: "Fine, I shoot 10mm." and his face just stopped all movement. :D

I let him off the hook, and shot my 9mm instead...

WESHOOT2

THE SHRINE OF 41 AE (thank you Bob Cogan)

The 41AE is much better than the 40 S&W, with a true .410" diameter.
Bigger piston, lower pressures.

It handles (easily) heavier bullet weights, with the nominal load using the 41 Magnum 210g LSWC (made a bunch last night for IPSC'ing; makes Major real easy) at 800-850fps.
Can push it harder, to around 1000fps, making it capable for hunting.
The 170g JHC from Sierra can do an easy 1100fps, and I've seen no reason to push much past this (but I could :).

Remember, we're using 41 Magnum bullets (since those bastards at Speer cancelled the superlative 180g Gold Dot made just for the 41AE). All the things a downloaded 41 Mag is capable of, so too the 41AE. Just a bit slower.

I'll be trying some of PENN BULLET's new 175g LSWC soon; bet I can get those to rocket...................

(But the 210's work so smoooooth, with unbelievable accuracy, and feed in SO MANY guns with zero trouble; just not the UZI's. The Speer bullet was wonderful in the subguns. Bastards.)

agtman

"Cult Cartridges ... ... 10mm Auto"?

:D

Hey, Bubba, that's not what we call it down at the Church of Sonny Crockett. :D

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
When you shoot a 10mm...

...nobody tries to scavenge your brass. ;)

PS: You forgot .32 H&R Magnum. :D

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Major George Nonte's Favorite,

and mine too; the .41 magnum.:) :cool: :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

D.W. Drang

All I could think of when I saw "Cult Cartridges" was when LSW got tickets to se Penn & Teller, and they did their "Famous Bullet Trick." (I.e., catching bullets in their teeth. They shoot .38 Specials thorough Pythons with laser scopes, wear kevlar helmets and vests and have some kind of mouth/tooth guard.)
Anyway, they ask for volunteers from the audience to come up and verify that they are using real guns with real bullets--specifically requesting veterans of the US or allied military, or police.
They got an MP and some squid.
They aksed them to "mark that bullet."
The MP took the sharpie they handed him and wrote "666" on the brass...

Kentucky Rifle

For small revolvers count me in as...

..a member of the cult of the .32 H&R Magnum.
I have two small snubbies which are chambered for the .32 H&R Magnum round and I have just loaded one with...Ta Da! MagSafe Defenders. 1700 FPS/321 FPE. I know, I know, pre-frag rounds...yada, yada, yada. :) All I know is my own tests prove to me that MagSafe is great carry ammunition. (Help me out here George! I'm about to get flamed!):p

Kentucky Rifle

I've got the .41 Mag. and the 10mm, and am finding out just what so many people find to be so appealing about these cartridges. They're wonderful.

I'm thinking, though, that .32 ACP should be added to that list. Now that the Kel Tec is making such a big splash, there's a lot more interest in the few other guns that are available for it.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I dunno about .32 ACP being on the list. There's guns made by Seecamp, Kel-Tec, Beretta and NAA, plus SIG 230's and scads of PPKs lying around, (not to mention jillions of pot metal wonders) and you can get ball from every manufacturer and JHP's from most.