CT: AK Variants - STATUS in Question

Douglas in CT

ATTN: Connecticut Yankees.

I sent the following querry to GunSafe (a CT pro gun org) today.

Heard some disturbing talk, on Saturday - 2/16, about AK variants being ruled "verbotten" in CT.
Something to do with a reversal on a previous decision regarding D'Andrea's Gun Case shop in Stratford, CT.

Do you have any intel.?

HERE IS THE REPLY:

Douglas, your e-mail was forwarded to me.
There is some truth to the rumor, but the whole thing remains vague.

The clones are being sold in shops, and there are thousands and thousands of them that have been sold since 1994.

Recently, however, police seized a clone in a domestic-violence complaint. Eventually the criminal charge was dropped, but the state's attorney claimed that the gun was contraband and refused to return it to the owner.

The owner was NOT charged or prosecuted for possession of the gun, but he challenged the state's attorney over the return of the gun. The state's attorney won. He had a state trooper testify that the gun operated the same as the AK-47 and used the same interchangeable parts as the AK-47.

The judge ruled that the gun (a Maadi) was an "AK-47 type" and therefore was banned by the statute.

No one knows where we go from here.

END

Rob01

Don't know about that but heaven forbid if Jepsen get in the Governer's office. We have to do everything we can to keep him out. So make sure to get everyone you can to vote for Roland.

You can probably get some answers from Gary at Newington Gun Exchange. He was talking about working on some new laws this year to loosen the ban and seemed to know what he was talking about. He should be there from 2-9pm today and tomorrow. Sorry I don't know the number off the top of my head but it's in the book and at 411. They are in Newington obviously.

Badger Arms

Springs, pins, rivets, front site, rear site slide are all interchangeble with other guns. You can ban nearly every semi-auto gun with a spring out there by this argument.

Unconstitutionally vague. This is an excellent class-action suit to bring up with the state supreme court. It's like banning ugly people, you cannot make a law based on looks.

LBC

Douglas,

I wrote about this some time ago. I live in the state and was considering an AK-47 type weapon. They ARE banned in the state, according to both state statute and the state police sgt. I spoke with in the firearms unit at Meriden.

State statute specifically refers to an "AK-47 type" firearm, and not a specific model, as most of the other banned "assault weapons" are. The state police officer said if it looks like an AK-47 and has interchangeable parts, it is an Ak-47 "type."

And talk to Gary at Newington Gun. Or better yet Jeff. Newington Gun DOESN'T CARRY AK-47 types because of state law. But Hoffman's DOES. Roger will give you his spin on the matter. They're selling a lot of those Hungarian (?) SAR's for something like $350, including a sling and two high-cap magazines.

I wanted an AK-47 type. I did a lot of research on the matter and chose it over an AR-type weapon. But until the law is loosened up, and that "type" is removed, we're screwed. IMHO.

Funny thing, though I was at Metacon's Class 3 event last summer and fired one of those supposedly unbreakable AK's. The pin behind the trigger guard walked itself out after a third of a magazine (full auto, of course). They put it back in the rack and handed me what I REALLY liked -- an MP-5. No burps there.

Rob01

Douglas which benelli do you have? I'm in the market for a shotgun and was looking at the M1 Tactical. It felt great going into the shoulder. If that's the one you have, or a variant of it, how do you like it?

Douglas in CT

Rob01:
Yes, that is the one I have.

~ DO NOT PASS GO
~ DO NOT COLLECT $200
~ GO AND BUY IT !!!!!!!! :)

It is a real pleasure to shoot, although I find that I need some sort of shoulder padding when shooting S&B ammo.

But, with the Federal "Tactical" Buckshot (reduced load, 2.75", 00 Buck), I can shoot my M1 SuperTerrific 90 Tactical all day without any padding needed. :)

One word: "Awesome" :):)

Rob01

Thanks Douglas. Sounds like that's the one then. I just need to save up for a little bit now. I just got my Aimpoint ML2 and A.R.M.S. #22M68 mount in today and that tapped my fun budget but when it's up again it will be the next purchase. At least my AR is now finished :) Thanks for the help.

DOBERMANN

CONNECTICUT you guys kill me !!! OF course you cant own an AK clone there dont you remember the AW ban? Those idiot liberals in Hartford are going to get all your guns. They have BALLS calling it the Constitution State:rolleyes: its more like the constapation state or We Violate the Constitution state. the northeast is the only place I know of where it is hard to tell a republican from a democrat. My wife is from Fairfield and i wouldnt live in CT again if you paid me . That state has gone from bad to worse in a very short period of time. Its great to be home in South Carolina:D

LBC

Yeah, dudes, but Connecticut IS a "shall issue" state. That counts for something. And the desire by some Democrats in the last legislative session to expand the list of banned assault weapons to include AR-15 and M1-A clones, among others, failed miserably.
And while some semi-auto clones are banned, you can still own anything fully automatic! That's the good news.

DOBERMANN

I DONT THINK ITS SHALL ISSUE. I THOUGHT IT WAS UP TO THE CHIEF LEO OF YOR TOWN OR BOROUGH AND YOU NEEDED 3 LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION THATS THE WAY I REMEMBER IT. UNLESS THEY CHANGED IT SINCE I SUFFERED THERE.:barf: AFTER YOU GET YOUR TOWN PERMIT THEN YOU CAN GO FOR YOU STATE PERMIT IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECTLY.BUT IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT NOW .IM JUST GLAD I GOT OUT WHEN I DID :D

Smiley

Funny thing is even if the Aks are banned I still know of three shops that still sell them. I live in CT and it wasnt hard to get my pistol permit, it just took extra long to get the paperwork through. Things in CT are designed so that you can get a lot of what you want you just have to jump through hoops to get it.

By thw i Thought CT was non full-auto. What do you have to get to purchase something in full-auto, a letter from the pope??

Douglas in CT

Smiley,
As in most things, the devil is in the details. And, that is true here as well.

BTW,
I'M NOT SHOUTING MY REPLIES.... I just screwed up. :eek:

"Funny thing is even if the Aks are banned I still know of three shops that still sell them."
~ THESE ARE NOT "AK's" , BUT ARE AK type VARIANTS.

"I live in CT and it wasnt hard to get my pistol permit, it just took extra long to get the paperwork through."
~ SO TRUE

"Things in CT are designed so that you can get a lot of what you want you just have to jump through hoops to get it. "
~ YES, and WAIT...

"By thw i Thought CT was non full-auto. What do you have to get to purchase something in full-auto, a letter from the pope??"
~ SEE YOUR STATEMENT ABOVE THIS ONE AND MY RESPONSE.

Rob01

Smiley all you have to have to get a full auto is a clean record, alot of money because they aren't cheap, a class 3 dealer like Gary at Newington Gun Exchange but you can find others at www.subguns.com and time. It takes about 4-6 months to get everything taken care of, sometimes more, sometimes less but don't count on that. I have a freind that has many full autos and that's all he does. You can also get suppressors for preban assault weapons and bolt action rifles. Lots of toys but also lots of paperwork.

Last edited:

LBC

I know this is off topic, but I'll try and check with my sources this week re: pistol permits. I read state stautes on-line and it appears that if you apply for a permit, you will receive one AS LONG AS you haven't done any of the following: convicted of a felony, or about a half-dozen serious misdemeanors (i.e. incite to riot); reject your citizenship; subject of a restraining order; been adjudicated mentally defective in the past 20 years. Dishnorable discharge might be in there too.

And as for the difference in the state's eyes between "AK type" and "AK variant," there isn't any. That's the point. Buy why AK's were singled out when the law was written, I don't know.

The stupid thing, of course, is that you can legally own a machine gun, but you can't own something that looks like a machine gun.

Douglas in CT

LBC:
Yes, that is nice as far as it goes.....
but, it is still does NOT make CT a "SHALL ISSUE" state.

If the statues do not state "SHALL ISSUE", the citizenry is S.O.L.

A recent case (last 3 months) in the greater New Haven, CT exemplifies the point. There was a fellow who preached violence and that was enough to kill his application.