crushing primers

3gunfreak

Question for the Dillon 650 users.

I am having trouble with crushing primers and not seating well in .223. If the brass is stamped Remington the primers seat well. Any other head stamp and I crush the primer. I am cleaning the pocket well and I do not think I have any military brass mixed in there for swaging. (they move through the depriming stage without issue)
All are once fired in good condition.

Would a pocket reamer help or should I just stick to Remington brass?

Thanks

BurkGlocker

I had this problem only with military brass, but a few turns with my chamfer tool took care of this problem, and my primers seat beautifully.

MADISON

Crushing Primers!

I have been reloading for 38 years.
I have never used a hand primer.
Most on the press priming devices are hit and miss.
I use an RCBS [Part Number 09460] Bench Mounted Auto Primer. You have a better feel on what you are doing.

Lunicy

Assuming your primer pockets are swaged and clean. If it's military brass you will have problems. Other than that, Take the priming assy. off the dillon and clean it. Also, you know that little finger thing that holds the brass against the shell plate, make sure it's doing its job properly. It may need tightening, or loosening. If I was having problems with one type of brass, I'd ream/swage the primer pocket. Hope I helped.

Mike1

I don't remember how a 650 works. On my 550B the shell plate needs to be tight enough so there's no wobble. Otherwise the cases may not line up all the time when you stick them in the shell plate, causing the cases to be misaligned with the primer assembly (had that problem today when loading 357s). That little paperclip needs to be adjusted too, as Lunicy says.

Mike

farnorthdan

All my .223 brass primes fine with the exception of the LC stuff. I ream every one with out fail, sometimes twice. After that they seem to prime just fine. I hate those factory crimps....

DS

wncchester

"I use an RCBS [Part Number 09460] Bench Mounted Auto Primer. You have a better feel on what you are doing."

This is true when compairing with a press priming system, not compared to a hand held primer tool.