crush washer.....which way

bamaranger

Intending to install an A2 type crush washer on a rifle some time in the future. I have the unit on hand with its washer. I notice that the washer is tapered, sort of convex/concave curvature.

So....which way does the washer fit on the muzzle?

Doug76

When I pulled my muzzle brake off my DPMS (don't need the noisy thing, I use my AR for hunting) I found the crush washer was convex side to barrel, concave side to brake. When I installed the thread protector cap I put the crush washer back on the same way it came off. It seems to fit and look best that way.

Ibmikey

Yes the bevel should touch the barrel and concave end to the hider. Crush washers are designed to be crushed once and should not be used a second time, you may find the washer flowing over the machined lip on the barrel and necessitate cutting to remove.

Doug76

On my DPMS Oracle the lip is flared, so the washer is not flowing over it, and looks the same as a new one. I should add the muzzle device was not extremely tight on mine when I did remove it, so maybe that's why it isn't deformed.

CTS

Brownell's is a great resource. Not only for the parts and tools you need but also help installing them when needed. Midway is pretty good too.