Crossbows during Primitive Weapon Season

SavageSniper

Hi all. I am wondering if any of you are allowed to use crossbows during bow season in your state? Here in Florida we can only use them during gun season, but have heard talk of a special season or a being allowed to use them a few days of bow season.

Trapp

Here in Florida we can only use them during gun season, but have heard talk of a special season or a being allowed to use them a few days of bow season.

Oh Wait, that's what you said!

Where do you hunt at? I hunt up near Carryville and Vernon.

SavageSniper

Hi Trapp. I mainly hunt in Madison county, where I grew up and family have a few hundred acres. I also hunt Appalachee Nat. forest some, also St Marks and Taylor Co.

FirstFreedom

Our state is so nonsensical in the regs that you can't even use an xbow during GUN season, let alone primitive or bow! (of course, save a medical disability permit). I think that it's silly; that they should be allowed during primitive & gun, if you choose to.

mrawesome22

I don't understand the question.

Here in Ohio, bow season is not called "primitive season". It's called archery season. It usually goes from the beginning of October until the end of January. Longbows, crossbows, compound longbows are all allowed during "shotgun/handgun/muzzleloader season" which is either one or two weeks during the end of November into the mid of December.

Then we have "primitive season". It's muzzleloader only for guns. But bows are allowed during all of our gun seasons. The only requirement is that you wear hunter orange during any deer gun season no matter the weapon carried. But that goes for any type of hunting during any of our gun seasons. Say you want to coyote hunt during shotgun/handgun/smokepole season, you must wear hunter orange.

So, yes. Crossbows are allowed from beginning of October to end of January. But I don't understand how Florida could call bow season "primitive season".

Last edited:

SavageSniper

I stand corrected Mrawsome, it is archery season here and primitive weapon season is for muzzleloaders. It is just from force of habit of mine to call it primitive weapons season.

T. O'Heir

Yep. Up here, in Ontario, we have a separate gun season and archery season that includes crossbows. However, some Wildlife Management Units(WMU's) only allow primitive weapons that includes BP firearms and archery. Plus shotguns only(rifled barrels are fine) WMU's, shotguns and muzzleloaders only WMU's and archery only WMU's.

stevelyn

Alaska allows crossbow everywhere except in archery specific areas due to snobbery of archery org lobbying against them.

dustoff

Here in PA we can use the crossbow during the firearm and muzzleloader deer seasons but not during archery. I wish they would allow them during archery as I like my flintlock but the excitement of stalking in close with the crossbow normally wins out.