Cross eye dominant - scope question

robertsig

I'm a noobie in two things and want to fix both at the same time, if I can.

I've been shooting handguns for about 10 years and bought my first rifle, a Marlin 336 in 30-30. I've known I was cross dominant (right handed, left eye) for a few years, but put off doing anything about it since it hasn't been a hindrance to handgun shooting.

Now when I try to sight my Marlin, I realize how much of a pain it is and I curse Mother nature.

Being a casual handgun guy and a non-hunter, I know nothing whatsoever about scopes, red dots, etc. So my question is: Is there a scope (or equivalent) that I can buy which will alleviate the need to use iron sights and allow me to keep both eyes open by looking at a "dot" on my target through the optic device?

I realize learning to shoot with both eyes open is preferable, but I must have it really because all I get is blur when I try to do that. I'm not even sure how I would start to train myself to compensate wasting hundreds of rounds (and dollars!) for something which I am going to rarely shoot much.

If this becomes a real problem, I may only buy one or two more rifles in my life, assuming an optical "crutch" is available for them all. I've been eyeing (pun intended) a Vz.58 as well.

TNT

I have cross domination and I have become a better shooter because of it IMO I have adapted to many things practice, practice, practice and muscle memory will take over eventually all up to the individual

Doyle

Long ago, I forgot about trying the "both eyes open" thing. I've learned to semi-squint my left (dominant) eye slightly just before the shot and that eliminates the dominance problem.

4EVERM-14

One thing that may help for target shooting is to put a piece of frosty tape on your glasses over the non aiming eye. A full blocker can also be used but just something to keep the non aiming eye from seeing the sights will allow both eyes to remain open. With both eyes open there will be less fatigue from holding one eye closed.

robertsig

I have been thinking about the tape over my range glasses, but I would love something that was available all the time. I hope to never need my rifle(s) for anything other than plinking, but in a SHTF scenario, something that keeps my eyes open without covering one up would be ideal.