Cross Dominant

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
For an example...

When I learned to shoot skeet the "instructor" insisted that you can't shoot well unless both eyes are open. So I shot his way for about 6 weeks and never shot better than 9 of 25. About week seven I started shooting the way I shoot every other gun I own, left eye closed, and I was averaging 18-20 in about 3 weeks.

wjkuleck

I'm right hand and "left-eyed", any suggestions on shooting a handgun?

So am I.

Front sight, press.

DSC04576.JPG

(That's I, closest to the camera.)

Regards,

Walt

AZAK

Same boat

I find that after shooting for years that it is just natural to focus with my left eye. Never have had any problems. With a scope I use my right.

You could try shooting leftsie. Don't know if that would help. I can shoot with my left hand, but prefer my right. Either way, the eyes...

Like above:
"Front sight..."

Dwight55

Pete, . . . it may not work for you, . . . or you may not have time to devote to it, . . . but if you have the time it may work for you.

Take a pair of your glasses (use clear shooting glasses if you don't wear lenses), . . . and put several layers of colored celophane on the left lens, . . . enough that it makes it difficult for you to focus with your left eye.

You may begin to rely on your right eye while doing this, . . . and this is the desired result.

Do this while dry firing, . . . unholstering, . . . sweeping the perimeter, . . . all the things you normally do with your handgun.

As you notice yourself becoming more reliant on the right eye, . . . peel off the layers of celophane until you get to the clear lens. Then take the glasses off and you will find you are shooting right hand, right eye, and best of all, . . . you are shooting with both eyes open: a definite advantage when shooting skills are needed to save your bacon.

My left eye has better vision than my right, . . . and is somewhat far sighted, while my right eye is somewhat nearsighted, . . . giving me the best of both worlds when I shoot with both eyes open. That is your real goal.

There was another thread on here or on 1911.com, . . . where the writer suggested shooting with both eyes open, . . . but placing the weapon in front of you in such a manner to allow each eye to only see what is on its side of the gun, . . . and you obviously shoot between what you are seeing straight ahead of you with each individual eye. Supposedly, . . . it works for some, . . . I just couldn't get used to it, . . . though I like the concept.

May God bless,
Dwight

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks, a friend of mine has the same situation. He shoots right handed holding the gun toward his left side and sighting with the left eye but both eyes open. Works for him...

You have three (or maybe more) choices:

1. Close your weak eye, tilt your head over behind the rear sight and shoot
2. Flex your wrists slightly to the direction of your dominant eye to line up your dominant eye with the rear sight.
3. Shoot with both eyes open.

I opt for #1, if you're shooting a 100 round mag through a handgun it could get uncomfortable but two days of firing 500 rounds per day left me feeling just fine. No biggie.

I also find both eyes open to be ineffective, I tend to get double vision very easily up close (thanks Lasik). Even though I know the image on the left is the correct one it's hard to remember that when shooting under "stress" (competition buzzer).

ChicagoTex

I, too, am a cross dominant freak of nature and I just shoot with both eyes open (though I, of course, have a natural tendency to torque my neck to line up my left eye with the sights a bit). On handguns I really don't think cross dominance is an issue (unless you're shooting scope), on long guns you really have no choice but to either shoot lefty or shoot with your left eye closed (I opt for the latter, shooting lefty just doesn't feel right).

Moe Howard

I am right handed left eye dominate. I shoot in a Weaver stance which keeps the gun in a more natural position for me to shoot more accurately. Every instructor I have ever taken lessons from has tried to talk me out of that stance and into an isosceles stance, but the Weaver works much better for me.

Moe Howard

Not all instructors, but the few I have come in contact with, are firm believers in the isosceles stance and believe all that is needed to overcome the cross eye dominance is a slight adjustment of the head or a slight movement of the arms to my left.

ChicagoTex

Not all instructors, but the few I have come in contact with, are firm believers in the isosceles stance and believe all that is needed to overcome the cross eye dominance is a slight adjustment of the head or a slight movement of the arms to my left.

This DOES actually work for some cross-dominant folks, and for some it doesn't work as well. You've found the weaver works for you - rock on.

Your story reminds me of those hack "computer instructors" back in high school who kept insisting my typing method was flawed despite the fact that I was faster and more accurate than any of them. Some people just HAVE to be right, even when they're wrong - especially if they do it for a living.

GPossenti

I have the same problem. However, it's great for shooting rifles and shotguns. Right arm, dominant arm is stronger and holds the gun more stable.

As far as handguns, I sight with my right eye, winking or half closing my left eye so the right is able to sight, but the left can still see motion.

I'm CERTAIN this has come up before but...
I'm right hand and "left-eyed", any suggestions on shooting a handgun?

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm actually ambidextrous but a bit more comfortable shooting right handed. I tilt my head over like ChicagoTex does and shoot with both eyes open. After a very long day at the range, my eyes do start to fight for dominance. However, I don't see myself in a 6 hour gunfight in the near future...

The reason why I rather tilt my head rather than move the gun over is that in my stance I keep the gun aligned with the bone and muscle structure of my arm. I believe this helps in gun control for me.

Hope this helps...

gb_in_ga

Same problem. I'm a southpaw who happens to shoot handguns right handed (other than when I force myself to do it left handed) just because that's the way they design the guns. Bows and long guns I shoot left handed.
I just close my right eye and tilt my head slightly to the right. No big deal.

I, for one, never have been able to master the trick of shooting with both eyes open.

flyby

Cross-dominant here also(shoot handguns more naturally RH..But left eye dominant..same as you) ..Try this, with straight ahead being the 12'O'clock position turn your head to the right 1 - 2 O'clock positions while sighting with your left-eye.

You should notice a pretty dramatic difference right off the bat..even with both eyes open ..you now just have to get in the habit of doing it automatically through practice..
has worked great for me.

PS many instructors will tell you to do this also.

Sriracha

+1 on flyby's comments.

Also, consider your grip on the gun. Many instructors recommend holding the gun with the backstrap in the middle of the web of the hand. When viewed from above, the barrel axis is aligned with the centerline of the arm.

However, I find this forces me to tilt my head waaay to the right for Weaver or Chapman-type stance. So, I hold the gun slightly pointing to the right (the backstrap touches closer to the base of my thumb rather than being centered in the web of my hand). This actually feels more natural to me, like shaking someone's hand. Bigger grips, like the CZ or Beretta, tend to make this feel more natural.

Coupled with flyby's method of rotating the head, this method allows me to shoot without sharply bending my neck.

- Sr.