Cross dominance.

m17s_guy

So i have been a hunter and shooter since i was 6 years old and have always shot right handed even though i am left eye dominant. Hunting has never been a problem as a 4 inch kill zone at 100yards on deer is still plenty big enough to take a confident shot. But i have recently started trying to get into more marksmanship, and maybe even start some competition shooting as a hobby. My main rifle i hunt with is a Smith Corona chambered in 30 06 and at 100 yards i usually shoot about 2-2.5 moa scoped. This is a right handed rifle which i shoot right handed. My question is, will buying a left handed rifle and retraining myself for left handed shooting improve my long range accuracy? or do i just need to work more on my marksmanship skills like trigger pull breathing and such?

mete

Scientific studies have shown that it's easier to train your hand than your eye. Thus for the right handed ,left eyed it's best to use a left handed rifle !
I met a woman with that problem and like you shot for years right handed.It was quite difficult for her to make the switch !

10-96

I don't know how old you are now, but I'm guessing there's more than a few years of habit and form to re-train yourself around. Yes, you're wrong-eyed (so to speak), but if you switch to a LH rifle, you"ll be right eyed, but wrong-handed.

With the cost of match capable rifles- I would hate to be the one to make you shell out that kind of money if it doesn't work out well. How does it feel to run out 20-40 rnds left handed (reach over style) from your SC? And do you think it'll be a chore to re-learn all three positions, if that's what you shoot?

Tim R

M-17 I feel your pain. I too am a left eye dom and right handed. I have over come this and shoot High Power in the Master Class. I think for me making some sort of switch just because of a eye problem is not enough reason. I'm also near sighted with old eyes and had the eye Doc take out a 1/4 diopter power out of my right lens of my shooting glasses. The front sight is now clear and the left eye fuzzy. I can keep both eyes open. Some people put a piece of Scotch tape on the left lens to help the right eye.

Most think the bull has to be clear and sharp when it's the front sight we need to see clear and sharp.

I have a friend who was right handed and lost his right arm. He learned to shoot left handed and does a fine job of it.

DRice.72

I'm cross dominant as well. I bought my first scoped rifle this year. I wondered if I would have a problem shooting with a scope. I found that once I found my sweet spot on the stock, and made minor adjustments to the scope I am shooting acceptable groups at 100 yards. I tried to shoot with both eyes open but found that it adversely effected my performance. It was the same with open sights.

Shotgun693

You could have a custom stock made with enough offset to allow you to use your right hand and left eye. John Hughes was a famous Texas Ranger Captain and as a result of an accident had the stock on every rifle he owned built just to that that same thing.

5RWill

You can switch if you want but i don't honestly believe your accuracy problem is due to cross eye dominance. I'm cross eyed dominant and don't have a problem shooting opened eyes with my bolt rifle. I use the flip up scope cover to the left to block my left eye. Do it enough and your right eye learns to take over. I can take a rifle without anything blocking my left eye and my right eye will take over. It takes a little focus sometimes, but for the most part it works. I can't comment on how it would function in a 3 gun scenario or AR match as target transition is extremely important so eye dominance will play a bit of a role with all the movement. I've looked through a friends EOtech though that was a bit further back and i was extremely surprised that my right eye would line up perfectly and i could keep both eyes open without any strain or focus.

As people are already stating inconsistent cheek weld will also play a role in accuracy consistency

DRice.72

Repeating the cheek weld is vital. I learned that the hard way. Its much easier to throw your shot. Few inches off with a scope. Just a slight movement of the head and be a couple of inches at 100 yds.

TNT

Its really to bad that they didnt catch this when you were little being cross dominant and many I have talked have been able to adapt to being ambidextrous with both the left and right my dad caught this when I was 4 yrs old and I have adapted in shooting very nicely it took some time before muscle memory finally took hold but shooting left and right is a blessing in disguise. If you just keep practicing you will get it trust me being cross dominant has been challenge to shoot but if can shoot right handed while in boot camp in the Marines and switch to left on qual day and still hit my 500meter target then you can do competitive shooting as well. Takes time and practice

Ralph Allen

Tim R hit the nail on the head. If you are interested in competition shooting, simply purchase some shooting glasses in the proper color and put a piece of scotch tape across the left side field of view. The brain will now tell your right eye that it's up to you. Both eyes open, can walk around the range without stumbling, no trying to teach your body how to shoot left handed, no expensive upgrades.
Ralph

5RWill

Enough practice with your left eye blocked but still open and you'll find it easier to do it without it blocked.

Tim R

Ok I have to come clean. My shooting glasses are made by Knobloch. There is a single lens which I can move to almost any place on the frame to put the center of the lens in front of my shooting eye. I can change the lens for any position I shoot. Standing, sitting and prone. Each one has it's own requirements. For the left eye I have a black flip patch which is also mounted to the eye glass frame. I flip it down to shoot and flip it up to peek through the spotting scope. Keeping both eyes open keep me from transfering the shaking of keeping the left eye closed. While the shaking is very small and not a big problem, it does show up when shooting at the 600 yard target. Heck even the heart beat can show up at 600.

Finding parts and filters for the Knoblochs is getting hard. I have several colored filters which clips on the lens holder. The shop I was using closed. It is too bad because they had a great selection. Other shops have stoppeed selling them. I don't know if it's because The euro is strong against the dollor or there might not be enough people buying the product.

lawnboy

Manipulating a right handed bolt action rifle while shooting left handed is easy.

Pick up a rifle and spend half an hour in your living room dry firing it that way. I probably cycle it a fraction of a second slower than if I were doing it the "right" way, but I gain so much time in target acquisition by using my natural eye that it is a wash or a slight win for doing it backwards. I've never bothered to spend the extra money to special order left handed bolt action rifles.

I cannot see how you can shoot a rifle cross eyed. I'm holding a rifle in my hands right now and if I put the gun to my right shoulder and try to sight using my left eye I literally cannot see down the scope without totally screwing up my cheek weld and sticking my nose across the stock. I could never shoot this way.

Jim243

My question is, will buying a left handed rifle and retraining myself for left handed shooting improve my long range accuracy?

No, if you are right handed (left brain dominant), go to Walgreens and get an eye patch to put over your left eye. With enough pratice you will be shooting sub MOAs in a short time. If you have cataracts or other issues with your right eye, see a opthamologist and get them taken care of. I've had cataract surgery on both of my eyes and I can see better than when I was 20 years old, and I am 68.

Jim

Last edited:

m17s_guy

tyvm for all the replies. I just spent about 45 minutes sitting in the living room manipulating my bolt from left shoulder fire, and i do have to agree, though a little awkward at first it did start to become a little smoother as i practiced. As for the eye patch and cheek weld issues i guess the next time i get out to shoot i will have to give it a try.