Critter rifles

Which little critter gun for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hj28rules

I love my little Henry Golden Boy .22LR. I use CCI Stingers and they get the job done.
For larger 'critters' i.e, coyotes, Bobcats and feral goats/pigs at longer ranges, I use .223 (HBAR15A3/Nikon 3x9).

wth?

I grew u[ in Eastern New Mexico, and for any kind of long range varminting, the .223 got pushed by wind more than I liked, so I usually stuck with 6mm Rem. .243 is close enough.

sneaky pete

Hyper-velocity 22 Lr

There' another post just down the line on criter-rifles by GEEZ768 that I commet about an article about Specialty .22lr bullets and Hyper-Velocity 22's. that's a really good read. I personally like the Quick-shock's. THANK--SNEAKY

Dirty_Harry

Depends on what critter, here in Indiana we have rabbits, coyotes and squirrels , .22lr is probably the best choice, but I dont want to limit myself to one rifle. :D

USNairman

for little critters I prefer a 17HMR but if that isn't an option then I would have to grab either one of my .223's or a 22-250.

MD_Willington

How little ?

We have 'yotes around our place and boy were they acting up last night, I can sleep through the 18 wheelers and B-Trains running through town but those freaking Coyotes kept me up half the night... I almost used my Toyota PU as a suitable calibre last night to deal with one on the HWY...

I picked .223 BTW... A nice flat-top AR would do wonders...

WeedWacker

.22 mag. Givs a little extra punch for some of the bigger varmints if I had a pistol on me. For long range probably a .22 LR if it's anything smaller than a coyote. Anything larger like a coyote would be .223 although I don't know of any varmints bigger than a coyote.

Moloch

.22WMR
Quiet enough to use without ear protection outdoors, cheaper than 17HMR, .223 or .22-250 , jacketed bullet design instead of plated bullets or pure lead, enough power to take down critters ranging from squirrels to large fox, bobcat or coyote. With standart loads you get max range of 120-130 yards depending on ammo.

Bullet design is also superior compared to the .22LR, you get SP's, PSP's, FMJ's, V-MAX's, JHP's.
Compared to other low power varmint calibers the .22wmr offers you the biggest bullet selection.
With 30 grain V-MAX bullets you get frangible bullets @ 2200 fp/s that only penetrates 6 inches and explodes like a frag grenade, great for small varmint and it also very accurate. +
With 40grain softpoints @ 1900-2000 fp/s you get a bullet which penetrates up to 17'' and mushrooms up to ~cal .308
If you choose 40grain FMJ's you can shoot through 3.5'' pine wood!

Its also the most powerful rimfire round today with 355,20 ft/lbs

Dave R

"Critters" is a pretty diverse group. For small critters, squirrel and under, .22lr would be fine. But its no good for varmits like Prairie Dogs, Rock Chucks, etc. Or for ranges over 100 yards.

For that, I answered .223, although a .204 Ruger would probably be better for a reloader. And what I actually use is a .17 centerfire wildcat. I love it, but it was given to me and its probably not the right answer for the average shooter.

Rangefinder

All right---somethin's wrong with this poll... It's missing a few really important 'critter cartridges'...

.22lr is always the good 'ol standard for critter killing...

But I have a lot more fun with the .17HMR and the Rem 6mm. ;)

Scorch

Out to 150 yds, I will opt for a 22LR, but then I want something more. Something like a 223 (out to 300 yds), or a 22-250 or a 243 (out to 400 yds). But my favorite for 100 yd varminting is still the 22LR, even though I do own a 22 WRM and 223.

Jseime

Well that all depends on your definition of "critter". I shoot critters from the size of gophers to big ol coyote critters. On the small end of the scale I would go with the .22lr because it is cheap to shoot and a real blast when i get out the 597 and the mini-mags.

For bigger critters or long range critters I am a huge fan of the .243 Winchester. It shoots flat and hits derned hard and you can step up to the plate and put down big deer with it too.

biglabsrule

what no .410??! Use a single break action rossi .410 around the house, anytime I go venture out back into the woods [for squirl] I take out a model 60 marlin .22lr though...

FirstFreedom

Cape buff is a critter. So need definition there. And am I eating it or eliminating it as a pest?

Regardless, walking around with no specific intent, but with both edible & non-edible in mind: turtles, squirrels, beavers, crows, etc., in the back of my mind, I usually prefer a .22 magnum (WMR) - the cheapie one goes into the woods to get scratched up - the Marlin (981?).