critique my choice of .308 powders

2002gti

im just getting set up for .308 and picked up a pound each of hodgon H335, varget and a can of RL15. just wondering if its a decent array of powders to find a couple of pet loads for my rifles. i also picked up some hornady BTHP 150 grainers and remington 165gr soft points.

PDXGS

What rifle are you shooting these out of? What your desired range and what's the intended target?

crowbeaner

Don't overlook BLC2 and WW748 either. For a 150 grain deer bullet, try the Sierra flatbase Pro Hunter 150. Absolutely deadly at 308 velocity, and works splendidly in my '06 as well.

thallub

I use IMR 3031 exclusively with bullets of 150 grains and lighter. My rifles make dime sized three shot groups at 100 meters with IMR 3031 and the right bullet.

2002gti

rifles are a winchester M70 and remington 700 SPS tactical. shooting will be 95% punching paper at 100 yards with an occasional 300 yards paper/gong shooting.

Sarge

Let me make this easy for you.

H4895 is all you need.

For a 150 grain deer bullet, try the Sierra flatbase Pro Hunter 150. Absolutely deadly at 308 velocity, and works splendidly in my '06 as well.

Dead on, Crowbeaner.

Ozzieman

I'm with SARGE, I use H4895 from 223, 6mm REM, and 30-06.
It works well in powder measures and shoots well.

Sam06

+1 on H4895

+1 on 4895! My favorite is old IMR 4064, 44gr under a 168gr HPBT is a deadly combo on paper. Plus I can use it in either a gas or bolt gun(4895 can be used in either also). I like IMR powders but have not used up my old stuff yet(I have a whole lot) and shot any of the "New" IMR since they were sold off. I miss the old metal cans. I guess Algore was behind the change:D. In 308 I reload for a M1A1, 700 PSS, 788 and a Winchester 88. For hunting I use SGK 165 SPBT for target I use 168 SMK or Hornys. I a few 1000 173's left but I am hanging on to them.

Varget is a good all around powder but I don't think is great at anything. I have used it in 6mmBr, 45-70, 308, 220 swift, 223 and more with "good" results but not OUTSTANDING results. Match the powder to the bullet to the gun to the target.

I may be wrong but those 2 guns have diff twist rates so they will not like the same load. Winchesters have a 1 in 12 and the SPS has a Twist rate of 1 in 10. The winchester will like shorter bullets( hunting type) and the Rem will eat up the long ones at moderate speed(2550-2650fps)

Jim Watson

I load .308 with Varget, but Reloder 15, 4895, and 4064 did well, too. I had one barrel that shot well with AA2520 but the extruded powders do better overall.

I think you will see results sooner by trying different bullets. Most powder changes in accuracy are pretty minor.

BurkGlocker

One more here for H4895. I have loaded it under Hornady 168 gr Moly HPBT and 150 gr SSTs and have absolutely blew out the center ring on my targets. Next load is under some 165 gr Sierra GameKings for my hunting loads.

Wildalaska

RL15 gives me the best accuracy in my rifle. 5 shot 1/3 inch groups

WildofcourseifishotbettersowouldthepowderAlaska ™

PDXGS

42 grains of RL15 with a Sierra HPBT 168g in Nosler brass workd for me.
I shoot M1A Super Match , not a bolt gun, but this load is wicked accurate....more so than I am!

mudstud

Since we're on this topic, I am planning to load some ammo for my DPMS LR-308 TAC20. I will be using Lake City military brass, CCI #34 military primers and Sierra 168gr. HPBT match bullets. Any one have any specific powders and/or loads they can recommend for use in such a rifle?

shepheard

I have used varget,bl-c2.rl15,imr 4064,3031,4895 and h4895. All of these were accurate in my 308 bolt gun. Some better than others but each shot pretty dam well at the right charge. I see a few of you have stated H4895. What about this powder did you like over the Imr 4895. I'm just curius. Most the fun I get in reloading is trying diferent powders with diferent bullets.

tkofoid

No two guys share the same opinions on everything. Very few rifles favor exact loads. All the powders listed above are excellent choices. I find when working a new load, I choose one powder and the bullet weight I want. I then work loads,,changing powder weights,, changing bullet brands,, cahnging primers, etc to get the desired results. If that don't work, I try a different powder and go throught those same steps. I think many change to many of the above variables at one time and then it gets to be difficult to find "the load". Changing only one thing at a time works for me. After typing all this: I am sure that I am not telling any of you anything you do not already know. please forgive me. It's two o-clock in the morning and I can't sleep, so I gotta write something! The election results caused my lack of sleep! I am so ****** at our new president elect results!

totalloser

I like the wc846 (Blc-2) due to quality and price. This might be worth consideration as it is selling now for $95 for 8 pounds. Meters well, seems pretty accurate. Good for .223 as well, this was important to me. I like to play with different charge weights, not different powders though. But look at that price again. :) www.patsreloading.com I just recieved my lifetime supply! :)

Oh, I'm loading .308 AND .223 with it.

whiplash

43grs of RL15 and 165gr Sierra Gameking produce the ocasional one holer three shots, and consistant cloverleafs at 100yrds. This is in a factory Rem M700 VS., COL is 2.800, Fed GM Match 210 primers. This is my hunting rifle, so I had to seat to allow magazine use. Regular old Speer Hot-Cor (165), is a good substitute as well.