Crimson Trace grips - will they be activated by my SmartCarry?

Erich

I'm thinking pretty hard about picking up a set of CT grips for my Sig-Sauer P-228. Notwithstanding Clint Smith's or anyone else's comments on laser/phasers/etc., would I have a battery wear-out problem if I were to carry the CT-gripped P-228 in my SmartCarry holster/pouch?

I see that the Crimson Trace grips for the 1911 appear to have the activator button on the right grip panel. I don't know whether the P-228 grips will have a similar set-up, but I photo on the web seems to indicate that they do. http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-12817.html I have no idea how much pressure the CT activator button requires to light up the laser.

The SmartCarry holster is a pouch worn in front of the crotch under the pants.
http://www.smartcarry.com/ Mine has worked very well for me, but I have a concern that the laser would be activated by my wearing the gun in the SmartCarry (I'm a lefty, so the right-hand grip would be against my body in the holster/belt).

If the CT grips' laser activators require as much force as is ordinarily required to trip a magazine release, I'd be fine. If they require just the merest pressure, I would have dead batteries in about 4 hours (unless the laser blew through my pants in that time :) ).

Can anyone give me an informed guess on this so that I can decide whether to spend a couple hundred bucks right now? I know that TFL member Crimson Trace is the PR Director of the Crimson Trace coroporation, and I know that many of you have and speak well of these grips. Any chance that any of you use a SmartCarry with your CT-gripped gun?

Thanks in advance! Erich

Erich

Having examined the CT literature a bit more, I note that the grips sport a master "OFF" switch. I think this answers my question. :eek:

Erich

Well, I have the grips now, and I generally leave them turned off when in the SmartCarry. They don't seem to activate, but why risk a disco-party-light-show erupting when I have to "shake hands with the governor"? :D