Crimp/recoil question

mdmtj

Why? The only "crimp" needed is just what is necessary to remove the bell that is put on the brass to help with seating the bullet. No actual crimp is needed. Excessive crimping can actually cause problems because the round is supposed to be positioned in the chamber on the mouth of the brass. Too much crimp can result in the round being pushed too far into the chamber which can cause failure to fire and make extraction of the unfired round difficult if the bullet is pushed into the rifling.

In direct answer to your question, increased crimp will typically increase pressure.

Grizz12

Because I loaded a bunch without removing the bell enough and had countless problems like you mentioned. I went back and added more crimp and it seems like the recoil is greater and maybe I went too far with the crimping process. Or it could be all in my head because it was really cold that day and I was more sensitive to recoil.

I will back it off the next time a load a bunch and hopefully find the sweet spot.

mikld

No. Crimping isn't necessary for semi-auto ammo, just use a taper crimp die to remove any flare in the case mouth to facilitate good chambering...

Jeff2131

Post picture of case after belling...you may be.belling too much and backing off the case may easily make life easier for you.

buck460XVR

In pistol ammo that head-spaces on the case mouth, bullet retention should not determined by the crimp, but by neck tension. More bullet retention in the case will lead to higher pressure when the powder is ignited, which may produce higher recoil. Whether or not one can feel this slight difference is debatable.

I'd bet that you noticed more recoil with the rounds that produced fewer problems because you were shooting more rounds without a failure and your focus was on shooting and not problems with the ammo.

mikld

In pistol ammo that head-spaces on the case mouth, bullet retention should not determined by the crimp, but by neck tension. More bullet retention in the case will lead to higher pressure when the powder is ignited, which may produce higher recoil. Whether or not one can feel this slight difference is debatable.

I agree.

The best way to determine the crimp vs increase of pressure would be, of course, a pressure testing receiver, or a chronograph. But then someone would have to standardize crimping to determine how much is being crimped, and how much is the pressure rise...