criminals avoid private sale transfers....

Koda94

A new study conducted by the University of Chicago Crime Lab, inmates in the Cook County jail said they get they guns on the streets from “personal connections” rather that outlets like guns shows and the internet.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/...crooks-get-guns-from-pals-dont-keep-them-long

So I had to look up the actual study to bookmark, the source of it. I had to create a log in to get it and am sharing the link here its in pdf format. Not certain the link will work for you without a login...
http://ac.els-cdn.com/S009174351500...t=1441599082_3c9fa980bf07df016b235535729ae7bd

[Here's a direct link the the Scribd page that works--Tom]

couple of quick takeaways...
1) criminal get their guns through other criminals, usually straw purchases or organized gun buys ("crates") where they get a clean gang member to make the straw purchases.
2) this is most related to recent political events..... criminals avoid private sale transfers

While there may be guns available through private transactions, there are risks, both legal and physical. The result is that a private transaction may be difficult to arrange; the buyer and seller must find each other, and there may need to be assurances on both sides.
pg35

we all know Bloomberg lies with his studies suggesting 48% less gun trafficking in states with universal background checks, now here is some credible evidence to refute that.

DaleA

I’d like to do a video ‘How A Criminal Gets A Gun’.

It would be in two parts:
Part 1: Before universal background checks-which is now.
Part 2: After the country enacts universal background checks.

Part 1: (Without universal background checks).
A man standing on the street. A second man approaches, takes money out of his pocket and says “I’ll give you $200 for a gun.” The first man pockets the money and then hands over a gun.

Part 2: (With the new nation wide universal background checks law in place).
Yeah, you guessed it. I’d just show the same video over again.

AFAIK the idea is original and now its okay with me if anyone uses it.

it is rare for offenders to buy from licensed dealers, and also rare for them to steal their guns. Rather, the predominant sources of guns to offenders are family, acquaintances, fellow gang members —
which is to say, members of their social network. The CCJ survey makes it clear that where offenders' immediate connections are not able to provide them with a gun, they often turn to sources by which they are linked through a mutual acquaintance.

So, not gun shows. Not Armslist or Gunbroker. It's also interesting to note that the guns generally changed hands three times before entering the illegal market.

jonnyc

I thought the OP was being sarcastic! Is this news? Didn't anyone with "common sense" already know that criminals don't buy their guns via FFL dealers and background checks???

22-rimfire

I would be very careful to follow federal and state law on sales advertised through the internet. It is just too visible for illegal kinds of transfers or transactions. It is one of the things that the anti-gun people always cite as a source. It is a source, but the transfers are usually legal and between law abiding people, not criminals.

One needs to be careful with private transfers as well.

The social network finding was very important and I can confirm this is the way things are done in my area. Criminal types are pretty careful on the gun side of things if for no other reason that getting caught pushes the crime to the federal courts and that usually means "you're going to jail".

The out of state source for firearms is no big revelation. But that often means some organization at a scale above a gun or two.

P5 Guy

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-84017675/

On July 4, police responded at 2:45 a.m. to the fairgrounds on West Colonial Drive, according to an incident report. Surveillance video of the break-in shows at least seven and possibly more than 12 young men pull tarps off tables loaded with guns and grab them.

See they do get guns from gun shows, just not while that venue is open for business.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/surveillance-shows-teens-stealing-weapons-orlando-/nmyBk/

Let the clip run a minute and you'll see.
:eek:

Koda94

Bartholomew Roberts said:
Another interesting aspect of that study is that it was funded by the Joyce Foundation - which in turn funds dozens of anti-gun groups.

I was wondering about that and its no surprise. this article (thanks for the direct link Tom) is just a snippit (pages 28-35) of the whole study. When I was looking for the specifics to this subject I skimmed some of the other parts and noted they were clearly leaning towards UBCs...

hows that for "common sense". Put out a study in favor of UBCs and in the same study refute your own argument with evidence. The entire premise of UBCs was sold under the guise of where criminals get their guns. Clearly empirical evidence there is a hidden agenda with bloombergs cause.

Another interesting aspect of that study is that it was funded by the Joyce Foundation
Holy cow, I didn't even notice that. What do you call it when a situation that seems contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result?

It's definitely that.

Dragline45

Of course they do, though the media would lead you to believe a large number of people are going to gun shows, making straw purchases, then selling them on the streets. The reality is, these scumbags break into peoples houses and cars, steal guns from law abiding gun owners, then use them or sell them. This is how the vast majority of illegal guns up on the the street, and why you should always have your guns secured when you leave your home or your car.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Another interesting aspect of that study is that it was funded by the Joyce Foundation - which in turn funds dozens of anti-gun groups.
In the big picture, the study can easily be (and no doubt will be) used to demonstrate that private gun ownership is "the problem" since the study shows that guns primarily get into criminal hands after they've been in private ownership, as opposed to directly from dealers.

The reality is, these scumbags break into peoples houses and cars, steal guns from law abiding gun owners, then use them or sell them.
Actually, there's a pool of guns that end up circulating on the streets, sometimes for decades. Many criminals consider a gun to be a single-use device, not a keepsake. They hold on to it for a time, then sell it off when it's no longer relevant. Until someone gets caught with it, it can float out there for awhile.

PhillyCheese

Wow!
Good thing they got right on that.

I mean, who knew criminals might skirt the law to acquire a firearm?
Next they need to do a study on is to determine if criminals actually steal firearms.
I mean, there is no possible way for society to determine if this is a possibility unless an official study is commissioned.

I feel safer now knowing that our tax dollars are right on top of preventing and solving crimes.
Now at least we know where to look.
Whew!
:)

P5 Guy said:
See they do get guns from gun shows, just not while that venue is open for business.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...rlando-/nmyBk/

Let the clip run a minute and you'll see.
The videos won't play for me. Might be something in my security protection, but usually I get an alert that a video is beling blocked and asking if I want to allow it to run. I'm getting NOTHING on this one -- just an empty white space where there should be a video.

Dragline45

Actually, there's a pool of guns that end up circulating on the streets, sometimes for decades. Many criminals consider a gun to be a single-use device, not a keepsake. They hold on to it for a time, then sell it off when it's no longer relevant. Until someone gets caught with it, it can float out there for awhile.

No doubt, but the majority of those guns were stolen in the first place.

carguychris

JohnKSa said:
In the big picture, the study can easily be (and no doubt will be) used to demonstrate that private gun ownership is "the problem" since the study shows that guns primarily get into criminal hands after they've been in private ownership, as opposed to directly from dealers.
Ditto; I expect the results to be manipulated to support the mantra that it's "too easy" for straw purchasers to buy a gun, and in areas where UBC's have been enacted, I expect it to be used to demonstrate why "universal" registration is imperative to enforcement of the UBC requirement.

The study reinforces the premise that there exists a large network of criminal middlemen who are funneling newly-purchased guns from licensed dealers to crooks. It may be a Good Thing that they're not operating from gun shows and GB, and likewise that most dealers aren't directly in cahoots with them, but the fact that the network exists at all is still a problem for us.

IOW be careful with how the results are presented. Like the Heller decision, this is a mixed bag.

No doubt, but the majority of those guns were stolen in the first place.
They were, but quite a while ago. The current meme among gun controllers is that there is, I kid you not, a "river of iron" in which people buy guns and sell them directly to others incapable of passing a background check. They picture a nefarious criminal underworld of people flipping guns in dusky parking lots, immediately after buying them at retail.

That isn't the case, but then again, facts aren't the currency on that side.

and in areas where UBC's have been enacted, I expect it to be used to demonstrate why "universal" registration is imperative to enforcement of the UBC requirement.
Yep. That's the slippery slope. They know as well as we do that UBC's won't stop things like this. That, they will say, is why we need all guns registered.