Creedmoor Sports vs A&D FX-120i

Nathan

Anybody ever use both? Which is faster?

To me, the time between weight applied and stable display is a key time. Balance scales are pretty slow, imo. Digital scales improve this. The Creedmoor Sports scale is just a bit slow, but amazing precision and great anti-drift programming.

All that said, I can throw and trickle up a 65gr load under 45s.

nhyrum

I haven't used both, but I've got an a&d with the whole auto throw system. It will throw and stabilize a 95 grain charge of rl33 faster than I can turn around and seat the bullet. Accurate to +.00/-.02

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

gwpercle

There are no trophy's given for the fastest reloader .
Concentrate on getting accurate amounts of the correct powder in each case .

My mom would say ..." Haste Makes Waste" but in reloading ...I say
Speed Kills . Don't aim to be the fastest reloader ...try to be the safetest .

Keep a balance beam scale on hand to double check the accuracy of electronics ...
they get out of whack and must be proven .

Reloading ammo is not a Speed Sport ... NASCAR and NHRA Drag Racing are .

Load Safe ,
Gary

Nathan

gwpercle said:
Keep a balance beam scale on hand to double check the accuracy of electronics ...
they get out of whack and must be proven .

What balance beam can relate to an fx120i or trx-925?

Use a check weight of the right accuracy level.

nhyrum

What balance beam can relate to an fx120i or trx-925?

Use a check weight of the right accuracy level.
Yeah there's no need to keep a balance beam for an fx120. They're certified analytical grade balances. They are, and are CERTIFIED to be incredibly accurate. In fact, you could refer to them almost as a check balance. A quality set of check weights will go a long way

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ed308

Never owed both. Only the Fx-120i. Great scale. Reloading Heaven when paired with an Auto Trickler and Throw. Throws an accurate charge in 12 to 15 seconds.

44 AMP

Staff
They are, and are CERTIFIED to be incredibly accurate.

You do understand that certified mean "worked within limits when tested" and is NOT a guarantee that will be the case when you use it.

Even when using the finest certified instruments, labs and other people concerned with precision test their instrumentation's calibration and response before use.

One situation I used to work in required testing of the instrument before and AFTER use to ensure it was correct during use.

thump_rrr

There is no comparison between the 2.
The Creedmoor Sports TRX-925 scale uses a strain gauge while the A&D FX-120i uses Magnetic Force Restoration.

I have been using the A&D FX-120i for the last month and a half along with the AutoTrickler V4.
It’s a great combo and it is extremely quick and rarely over throws.
If the green light isn’t on the throw is off by more or less than 0.02 grains.

Last edited:

ed308

Strain gauge mechanism are cheaper to make and used on less expensive scales. The magnetic force mechanism are found in higher quality and more expensive scales. Strain gauge aren’t usually as accurate, don’t measure as quickly and drift compared to a magnetic force scale.

Nathan

@Ed308….the is kind of my point. Per the certs, the TRX-925 is more accurate and the drift controls are amazing.

Full disclosure, I found a way to make the TRX-925 drift. If you pour your charge and then fill the pan and weigh directly you seem to get a couple hundredths of drift, but placing the pan on the scale between loads fixes that 100%.

It happens because it never gets a zero point to correct the drift, if that makes sense.

An FX120i with calibration weights is about $700. A TRX-925 with calibration weights is about $350. You decide.

The TRX is 0.01gr resolution while the FX is 0.02gr resolution.

ed308

I bought the fx-120i so I could use it with the Auto Trickler and Throw system. But I also got a great deal on the scale. With a rebate offered, only paid around $350 for scale.

I’ve seen the videos by F Class John and Ultimate Reloaders on the TX-925. For a less expensive scale, it seems like the best option available. It’s a shame the fix-120i is so expensive. When paired with the Auto Tricker and Throw, it’s a great system for reloaders to use for loading precision ammo.