Crazy year - where are you going in 2023?

ligonierbill

First, my goal for the year is the same as last year: Get one or two loads for each caliber and just enjoy shooting. For all the supply issues, I now have most of the bullets I want (and a few new ones), a good supply of primers, and plenty of powder. For powder, I went chasing replacements for my favorites, and lately restocked my favorites. So, some to burn.

I promised myself I would stay away from any new rounds, but I lied. Added a few. But no more! (Really, I mean it this time.)

Having said that, a couple questions for you. What do you think of the 204 Ruger? Which of the new wonder rounds do you think will "take"? Clearly, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a keeper. A little better version of the 6.5x55, what could be better! (I'm staying with the Swede.) But where do you see the WSM, Rem SAUM, PRC, and Noslers in a couple years? There are just too many. Someone has to lose. But, honest, I'm not buying any.

Nick_C_S

I've been trying to "just enjoy shooting" for several years now lol. It would seem that the load workups are endless.

I moved to a cold climate in '22. Right now, it's too cold to load (in my garage) or shoot. Unless I toughen up, I won't be at the range for at least two more months.

This spring, my priorities are to complete a barely-started work up for 75gn Hornady bullets for my AR (.223 Rem). I only started this work up because bullets were available and my rifle is a 1:7 twist - might as well use that high twist rate for what it was intended, I thought.

The other, is to get my Marlin 44 Mag rifle shooting straight. The thing is awful. Especially when hot, fliers everywhere. I can't even keep the darn thing on paper at a lousy 50 yards (off bags, with a scope!). It seems to like Hornady bullets the best, and 2400 powder. I'm using 240s. I'll do more testing with the 240's and also some 200's.

But after that, I'm going to "just enjoy shooting." :D

Metal god

My plan the same as it’s been for a couple years . Shoot more long range rifle and rifle in general. I rebarreled a Savage action late last year and added new stock and scope so that should help incentivize me .

The thing is awful. Especially when hot, fliers everywhere. I can't even keep the darn thing on paper at a lousy 50 yards (off bags, with a scope!).

Holly hell , can you explain why that’s not going back regardless of when you bought it . I mean how bigs you’re piece of paper , a postage stamp lol ? . Oh and what is this cold weather you speak of ;-) .

Last edited:

MarkCO

The last few years were removing the calibers and firearms I don't shoot, don't like, etc.

Gone are several rifles and a few handguns. Gone are the calibers 204 Ruger, 22-250, 224V, 300BO, .350L, 7mm Mag, .450BM, 300WSM, 300WM and 340WM. I added only .280AI.

Of the WSM, SAUM, Nosler, PRC, I see the PRC family taking the top spot and the others slowly fading. I'm really not sure if Nosler can maintain a following like Weatherby has been able to given the competition. I'm not even convinced Weatherby can maintain their Cartridges over the next decade.

I built out my GWACS lower into a 5.5# RDS AR15 yesterday, have a .308 Stag upper to finish, then I have one project left, getting a .30-30 or .35Rem bored out to .414SuperMag.

Plenty of house projects to do, have 10 major shooting matches on my calendar. Doing a major garage sale this spring too.

jpx2rk

I think the 204R will stay around, it's an excellent varmint round, and numerous people use it on 'yotes, and such.

I'm dropping the 22/250, will re-barrel over to a 20 Practical as I'm already set up for 20 P, lots of components for the three 20 caliber rifles I will end up with (20Px2 and 204R). I will devote some time to the 6BR but these components are more costly, so it's not a high priority for me at this time. I have a aftermarket 204R barrel standing in the corner, but the OEM savage barrel refuses to die, but I will have another attempt to kill it come mid-April, so we'll see what happens.

Nick_C_S

I mean how bigs you’re piece of paper , a postage stamp lol ?

12" square or so. I've learned to just not shoot it to the point where it gets hot. If I let it cool between groups, they're typically about 4" or so. I still think a 1:38 twist is just ludacris. But that probably has nothing to do with its inaccuracy - no sign of keyholing. The bore is probably just stupid-big.

. Oh and what is this cold weather you speak of ;-) .

I speak of Twin Falls Idaho. Certainly cold by my standards; having lived in the Sacramento valley all my life. Since November, there's been but a few days with the highs in the 40's. And a fair number of days where the temp never got above freezing. My garage is running in the very low 40's most the time. When it starts touching the 50's, I'll drag a couple 1500W (I had the garage built with three 20-Amp circuits; and a 50A/240V just for good measure ;).) radiator type heaters in there to make it warm enough to load - if need be. And I may need to get out there and do some loading for my sanity; more so than the ammunition :D.

On the flip side, back in Sacramento (Lincoln, to be more accurate), it was too hot in the summer to load. I'd rather have the conditions I have now.

Shadow9mm

Plans for 2023....
Need to buy a new chronograph
Need to finish working up 2 loads for my 223
Need to finish working up 2 loads for my 30-06
Start working up loads for 7.62x39

After that, it will be loading and shooting.

I got rid of one cartridge last year and one this year so far. I am down to loading for
9mm
45 auto
30-06
And soon to be 7.62x39, once I finish researching powders and get some brass, bullets, and dies.

rclark

My plan is to get out more to the (pistol/revolver) range. Load development is complete for all the cartridges I load, so just a matter of loading more of the same when needed. Who knows though, maybe a new wonder powder will take my eye and have to try it..... :)

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I'm hoping to be able to do some shooting again.
Life has been inconvenient in that regard lately.

I have an AR that I built last year (6mm Arc) that I've shot maybe 40 rounds through now, and none of them "real", in terms of accuracy testing.
I've got a fun Sig BDX scope/rangefinder combo for it that I haven't even had time to set up.

I'm also on the 8+ month wait list for a silencer, so hopefully that won't be $1,000 for nothing.

Now that components are coming back, I need to stock up on some primers and powder. I'm getting low and I will NOT pay those idiotic prices of the last few years.

Regarding .204 Ruger, I love the cartridge. I bought one in 2004 (Ruger M77 MkII) and with handloads it is the most accurate gun I've ever shot. It will do 1/3-1/2 MOA at 100, and 3/4 MOA at 400 on a bad day.
I killed countless woodchucks (some of ya'll call 'em groundhogs:D) with it. They're almost always DRT.
It kills coyotes like they got struck by lightning.
I have no idea how many rounds I've put through it but it's as accurate as the day I got it as far as I can tell.... of course, I haven't put a round through it in about 5 years now.

jetinteriorguy

Only two goals. Getting my Hellcat to shoot POI, and just getting to the range more. I’m trying a red dot on the Hellcat and am hoping to get used to it, if I could get the rear sight to actually move I’d just stick with the open sights since I really like them. I’ve tried using a good sight tool, I’ve tried a drift punch, and I’ve tried heating the slide up and nothing budges the sight. I really like this gun a lot and am hoping to make it work.

HistoryJunky

I live in Illinois and there's a lot of anti-gun laws trying to be passed right off the bat already. Hopefully they don't, it could have an effect on a future purchase.

Goals for the year...

If the Kimber R7 Mako turns out to be good, I might pick it up for my birthday. It's the only full ambi micro compact 9mm so far, and I'm a lefty.

Buy the Phlster Enigma for my Glock 19 and give that a whirl.

Go shooting at least once a month.

Gym goals.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

ligonierbill

Good luck with IL. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but how anyone can equate restricting magazines to stopping gang bangers is beyond me.

That said, I do have several specific goals. One is acquainting myself with Thunder Valley in central OH, and trying out my long range boomers. Two is wringing out my flintlocks - just not as proficient as I should be. And three: Quit neglecting my pistols. In fact, I mostly have my one or two loads for most everything I shoot; just tweaking or expanding my powder options. Just glad I have the supplies.

RickB

Load more, shoot more, chrono, zero . . . all the stuff I've enjoyed doing for the last 30 years.
I have enough powder and primers to load 5000 rounds, but it may have to be that I'm loading what I have, rather than what I'd prefer to.
Primers at the local store are down to $150/k, and I won't buy even one until they drop considerably more.

USAF Ret

Focus on one rifle and caliber at a time. I have been all over the map. Anything that isn't accurate or I don't enjoy shooting gets sold or traded. Already started by getting rid of several cheap firearms, as Glock 22 (I do not enjoy the 40SW at all) and an AR-10 that ended up being way too heavy for what I do. I traded all of that for a SIG Cross.

Also work on and decide which rifle I will take for a possible disabled veteran elk and antelope hunt in WY this year. Work up some loads for that. It is between 270 and 308.

Currently focusing on my Marlin 336 30-30 with some FTX loads. I will not move on to the next until I get my load nailed down.

akinswi

My goal is to get all of these in the X ring with my M1.

Going to Need alot of practice.

Attachments

• 52E69C4E-D46F-46AB-B452-473100284455.jpeg
    52E69C4E-D46F-46AB-B452-473100284455.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 18