Crayon wax for lubing bullets

Lead Express

Hey folks!

This might sound a little funny, but has anyone ever used or has experience with using crayon wax as bullet lube? Just a random thought.... I'm working on getting a casting setup here at the fort, and might end up experimenting with a few things.

m&p45acp10+1

I am cheap, and lazy. I use Lee Liquid Allox and tumble lube. I let them dry for at least two days before loading them. It works just fine for everything I have reloaded so far.

Scharfschuetzer

I've never heard of that proposal before! Thinking out of the box.

My guess is that if you were to try it, you'd have to warm the crayons up until they were at a fairly viscous state. There are heaters for lubrisizers available, but do you want to cram crayons into what is a pretty refined (and expensive) piece of equipment? I guess you could use a cookie cutter apporach after pouring moulten crayons over a pan full of bullets standing upright.

It would be interesting to compare costs between a comercially available lubricant and the same weight or volume of crayons. Efficiency in preventing leading would also be up for review.

One thing is for sure, I bet you could easily identify your bullet strikes in paper targets by the color of your crayons on the edge of the bullet hole.

If you get around to doing it, please post your results.

wncchester

A lot of people make their own bullet lubes and a lot of them use Crayons to add color, so far as I know the color is irrelivant to the performance of the bullets. ;)

Edward429451

so far as I know the color is irrelivant to the performance of the bullets.

Green gives highest velocities. You can't use straight crayons for lube. If you stick to the recipe for that Felix lube, it comes out soft & tacky so I add a crayon or two which gives color and hardens up the lube so it isn't so tacky. It also added 150 fps to my velocities.

Gatofeo

In the late 1960s, when I was a teen, I met an old shooter at the local gravel pit who was potting away with a .38 Special. He'd pinned bullseye targets to a hunk of plywood. A very nice, old gent.
When we walked up to his targets, so I could pin my own targets for my .22 rifle, I noticed colored splotches around each bullet hole in the white outside the black. And there were darned few holes in the white outside the black bull!
He told me used Crayolas for bullet lubricant. I guess it worked for him. I remember that it was the first time I ever saw a wadcutter bullet, flush with the end of the case.
I was impressed by the definitive colors around each hole. Got me to thinking that, should I ever need to positively identify MY holes in a target, perhaps I could use Crayolas with lead bullets.
I've never used crayons, never had the need and there are better lubricants out there. But those holes carrying a green or blue splash still impresses me.
Might be a good element in a murder mystery. :D

Doby45

White Label beats everything else, hands down. Carnauba Red is just about all I use. Great for all handgun rounds and the majority of my rifle plinking rounds.