Craning the neck forward

dyl

Hey all,

I've seen a lot of shooting demonstrations and pictures where the shooter will reach his neck forward like a turtle or someone slouching as he pushes his gun out to the firing positions. I've seen this in both Weaver-esque and Isosceles positions.

Is this a "good" habit to develop?

On one hand I understand that putting center of gravity lower and leaning forward will help with recoil control. On the other hand I've also heard the advice "bring the sights up to eye level, not the other way around" - I find I have to do the latter because I wear glasses and if I tilt my head down the sights are off the corrected field of view.

Was tilting the head forward ever part of an official shooting method of sorts or is it carried over from something like boxing where you would want to tuck your chin in?

What do you think?

kraigwy

I think with rifle, pistol, whatever, including combat style shooting keeping the head straight helps with balance regardless what the rest of the body does.

It also helps with eyesight since, when the head is straight, you look out of the center of the eye,

AK103K

I think with the isosceles stance you see a lot of these days, the head just goes with the shoulders as the arms are thrust forward and it looks like the head is "forward". If you pull your shoulders back and more upright, the head comes right back with them.

As far as rifles go, Ive always shot with my head down and forward, simply thats the way you shoot the guns I shoot. "Head up", isnt a natural way to shoot for me, and the guns that tend to require that type position, like modern rifles with stocks set up for scopes, feel awkward when shouldered.