Cracked 43 mauser cases.

chasep255

Last weekend I loaded my once fired 43 Mauser brass without sizing since I had broken my lee shell holder and had a very stuck case in the lee sizing die. This actually worked pretty well since I could finger seat the bullets and ensure they were pressing up against the wad. I used the crimp die to lock the bullet in place but could still rotate it since I didn't have much neck tension.

This weekend I got my RCBS 43 mauser dies set and went about full length sizing and trimming my twice fired 43 mauser brass. I then used the neck expander die to apply a slight flare. I primed the brass and loaded with with 77gr of FFg Goex. I compressed it by about 1/10" using a 44 cal compression die. I still managed to finger seat the bullet but I had to press a lot harder. I then used the bullet seating die to apply a crimp.

When I got to the range I fired some cases and bout half of them cracked 2/3 of the way between the case head and shoulder. All of the cases which cracked, cracked at nearly the same point. Since I had trimmed the cases and knew the length they started at I measured them when I got home and they had grown by at most 0.010". Not sure if this is too much or just right. Either way I decided to scrap even the uncracked cases due to safety concerns, and ordered new Bertram brass which costs $3.50 per piece.

Due to the price I really don't want to ruin them this time. I think my biggest mistake was the FL sizing when the brass was already fire formed to the chamber. I would like to be able to just neck size so I can get some tension to hold the bullet but no one seems to make a neck sizing die. Someone recommended that I just do a partial FL sizing, but I have heard this can cause the case to elongate and not chamber. Any suggestions?

F. Guffey

It is too late; I recommend new reloaders measure before and again after firing and I recommend measuring before sizing and again after sizing. I am the fan of cutting down on all that case travel because I understand travel as in from where to where. I know; everyone is so confused but I must know the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face, if firing the case involves case travel I want to know how much. I do not have to fire a case to determine case travel.

And then? There is always an 'and then'. I have rifles that that protect those that do not understand case travel' for example I fired a case in one of my rifles with .127" clearance between the case shoulder and chamber shoulder. The case did not separate and the shoulder of my case did not move:eek: Another 'and then', the firing pin did not drive the case shoulder forward to the the chamber shoulder:eek:

F. Guffey