Coyote Rifle

Eghad

I was surfing on the web looking for this magazine when I came across this article

What I finally settled on was a short model 44, Mosin Nagent carbine made by the Soviets in 1946. This same model of rifle was used and preferred by both sides in the Russo-Finnish War, being also later issued to the Russian “stick breaking” lady snipers. During the Second World War, German officers on the eastern front really learned just how devastatingly accurate so many of these brave young Soviet women could be with this rugged and accurate bolt gun.

Firing from a sandbag rest at 50 yards though, the best groupings I could get from the first batch of surplus ammunition I found ran nearly 2 inches in diameter. That wouldn’t be close to good enough for long range work. So I started trying commercially-produced ammo, and the picture brightened up immensely. I found Sellior & Belliot rounds capable of keeping every shot touching, even when I backed up to 100 yards. Yep, that old Russian war horse would work fine for my purposes.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/hooker107.html

interesting read...

I had purchased two of these rifles..dont know why they were dirt cheap and in pretty good shape. I think I sense a project for one.

Jseime

Sounds interesting but my ideal coyote rifle is a small fast handling semi that will shoot pie plates at 300 and can have a 3-9X scope on it.
Maybe a remington 750 woodmaster in .243 hmmmmm very nice.

Fat White Boy

I also like the smaller .22 centerfires, my dedicated Varmint rig is a Browning Model 1885 Lo-Wall in .22-250. BUT- I also have a Remington 700vls in .308 that I use on occasion.

armoredman

M44 is a fast handing bolt gun, and suitable for a baor spear with the attached pigsticker. But MOA accuracy? He must have found the one out of millions that will do that. Fun, cheap rifles, that's for sure.

Dirty_Harry

hmmm, 7.62x54 for coyotes? I hope you did not want the pelt! Almost as powerful as the .30-06. The m44 is not a MOA gun, but more like 2 MOA(I have one). I can keep groups of 2in at 50 yds with open sights, and with a scope I bet it would do the same at 100. For coyotes I actually use my AR-15, I have even taken them from time to time with my .357 Marlin Lever and my M1 Carbine.

Scorch

Rifles chosen for sniper work were hand-selected from the best shooters and hand-assembled into sniper duty rifles by armorers. That said, I think that with some work and a few $$, you could turn a M44 into an imitation sniper rifle. As long as you realize it will cost money and will technically not be a sniper rifle, I say go for it. I think it would be a fun rifle to occasionally shoot at coyotes. It will never be a varmint rifle, though. The recoil and muzzle blast will beat you up. If you want a varmint rifle, buy a good 223 or 22-250 or 243 varmint rig and shoot it for coyotes instead.

taylorce1

My coyote rifle is what ever is in my hand at the time. I took a shot at a coyote once with my .50 cal muzzle loader during deer season, I missed but sure would have been fun to talk about if I connected. I'll agree the .22 cal center fire rifles up to .25 cal would make good dedicated coyote rifles.

crowbeaner

I prefer my old .222 with a Speer 50 gr. spitzer and 21.0 of RL7. It does just over 3200 and shoots the whole box into 3/4 inch at 100. If the songdog is under 250 he/she is in dire peril. If they are farther than that I wait until curiosity brings them within range. I may miss, but the M700 does not. The 50 gr. pill doesn't put as big a hole in them as the 52 gr. FB HP. I shoot crows with the same load and results. Get a squeaker and a distress call. The distress call will bring them in, and the squeaker will get them kissing close. Just my humble $0.02. Enjoy. CB.

hps1

taylorce1: My coyote rifle is what ever is in my hand at the time.
Yep. Have killed coyotes with everything from 22LR (many years ago) to 375 h&h. Shot a lot with an issue 1903A3 (bought through DCM for $12) and 110 gr. Hornady Spire Points back when I could still see iron sights, but my current favorite is an AR in either .223 or 243 WSSM.

Regards,
hps

Rifleman 173

I've talked to a number of hunters around here who shoot, hunt and even trap coyotes, coydogs, foxes and other pests. Just about everyone of them uses a .223 rifle with a scope on it to QUICKLY drop coyotes. What I've been told is that the veins in a canine type animal are very small and you need to do the right amount of damage to them in the right way. The .223 bullet is the best for dropping coyotes and feral dogs. They even have artificial calls for luring coyotes in close that sound like a rabbit thrashing around in a trap or something. They also say to hunt them at night and near a road kill deer. Also be aware that coyotes are very leery animals who will only give you a few seconds to sight in on them and shoot them.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
.22-250 is a fantastic coyote gun caliber. .223 is a bit too light for unless you are using premium ammunition or hot loaded handloads. Going above that will give you extended ranges.
I use a 7MM Rem Mag... which means if I see it, I can get it. Last couple years I've been hunting coyotes for the bounty on my days off. I decided the 7MM doesn't let the ever get away like was happening with the .30-30.
If I get enough dogs this season, I'm going to put a suppressor on my 7MM.

KCB

I don't really agree with the above post that .223 is not an adequate round with less than premium ammo. Sure if you are talking at further distances of 300+ yrds, however anything under that and you got a dead dog woth pretty much any load you can shoot accurately. The most popular coyote rounds are in fact the .223 and 22-250. Look up the "Verminaters" videos online and yo uwill see some of the best coyote hunters around and in their early days Rick Pallet the leader of the crew took most all his dogs on film with a Ruger .22 mag that he mounted a camcorder to. Coyotes are small animals hence, varmints and a well place shot with just about any caliber will bring them down. Most of the time when you are calling predators if you get a chance for a good shot it will be within 100-200yrds at most. Now if you want my opinion on the BEST coyote gun it is a long barreled AR15 my personal choice is a BUshmaster Varminter. Many of the professional Yote hunter are going with similar rifles because of their accuracy and fast follow-up shots.

CamoCop

i second the .22-250 or even a .22 hornet. the .223 easily brings down deer (which are quite larger than yotes) out to 200 yards, so it would also be a good yote caliber.

arizona hunter

Seems that for coyotes I always grab my 1942 Husqvarna (now sporterized) in 6.5 x 55 and a 3-9 x 40 Bushnell Elite 3200 scope. It's light, gentle on the shoulder and puts 3 Hornady 129 gr SST's into 3/4". The past two years I also took javelina with it-so easy to carry, although more than a match for something as small as a 40 lb javelina. Next stop deer.

The Tourist

In my area some guys try to save the pelt. Last year the .17 HMR was a big seller. Many would have tried the 204, but for a short period we had trouble getting a reliable delivery on ammo, and reloading components were few.

yarborg

.17 HMR gets my vote too. I have heard the Savage model is nice and Dicks Sporting Goods had one for about $200.00. There may even be some youtube video on it taking out a ki-yote.

odsixer

I have a .17 hmr but for coyotes I Definately go with my 22-250. I don't feel the .17 has the punch for an ethical kill.

Webleymkv

I've known several people who swear by an SKS for Coyote. The bullets are heavy enough that you can see them strike in the dirt and being semi-automatic allows you to "walk your shot on" to a running coyote.