Coyote cartridge choices

So I was at the range today and my grandfather kept talking about coyote hunting and how we might go out sometime, anyways I did some research and it came down to this, a 22-250 or a 223 both in bolt actions. Which one do you think would perform better for anything from splitting prairie dog in half to bagging coyote and some range shooting on the side? Also kind of a side question does the 22-250 burn barrels quickly? Thanks in advance, Italian Marksman.
(as much as Id like an AR im only 16 so its to exspensive for now)

BT100

+1 for the accurate, inexpensive and plentiful 223Rem. It’s easy to reload and in almost every manufactures line of rifles.

trooper3385

+1 for the 22-250. Nothing says coyote hunting more than the 22-250. But for all practical purposes, either one will do it with the same results. If you plan on doing alot of target shooting with the rifle as well, then I would pick the 223. It will be a little cheaper to feed if your not reloading. If your not hunting them for the hides, use whatever you have instead of getting another gun. I've shot coyotes with just about everything up to a 300 weatherby mag. They all look the same to me hanging from a fence post.

mdd

22-250 has a much nicer trajectory and would be my choice. I have two 22-250's and one 223 and handload for all of them. In my opinion the small monetary difference in cost per round over the 223 shouldn't even be a consideration unless you plan to shoot a very significant amount of rounds per year.

10-96

That would be a tough dilema for me. I've never had a .22-250, but I do run 58gr .243 pills out to .22-250 performance. And, I have several different flavors of .223 Rem. On one hand, you'll be able to shoot more (bang for buck) with the .223, but you'll really appreciate stretching shots way out there with the .22-250.

My vote? Go with the .223 and save ammo $$ for a 18x to 20x scope.

taylorce1

You could always get .22-250 performance in a smaller package and run a .204 Ruger. I use a .223 and .204 Ruger on coyotes but mainly prairie dogs and the .204 has a little more range than the .223 which I'm good with to 300 yards. I prefer the smaller case if I'm going to be shooting in a prairie dog town, barrels don't heat up as fast and I get more shots before having to let the rifle cool.

You never get the high volume of shooting coyotes as you do prairie dogs, a .22-250, .243, or .25-06 all work well for coyotes delivering more energy and flatter trajectory at longer ranges. Plus you'll probably not shoot more than two coyotes in one stand before you have to move so there will be no problems with barrel heat. Just decide what you will shoo the most with the rifle, if it is prairie dogs then I'd go smaller, coyotes I'd pick the larger case.

GAR700

I have had both the .223 and 22-250. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.
The .223 is a little slower and much more economical to shoot. You won't notice the slower part unless you are looking for target "detonation". Even without the velocity, the 223 still does quite a number on rats and rockchucks and prairie dogs. The extra bullet drop can be compensated for if you know the range at which you are shooting. A rangefinder is also beneficial for this kind of hunting. One of my favorite things about the .223 is that the lower recoil allows you to maintain sight picture so you can see the bullet impact. The .223 is easier on barrels if you are looking forward to extended shooting sessions and warm barrels.
The .22-250 is everything the .223 is plus some velocity meaning added target "detonation" (I enjoy that part). The .22-250 can be hard on barrels if you get them hot and neglect cleaning. The added recoil also makes it more difficult to maintain sight picture.
You can't go wrong either way. Both are great for this purpose and have served me very well. I think sticking with the 22 calibers is a good idea for a dedicated varmint gun.
Good Luck
GAR

Scorch

I own both, and I can tell you that there is nothing like a 22-250 for reaching out and anchoring coyotes and other varmints. That said, the 223 will do the job nicely out to 300-350 yds, so if you feel that will cover your needs then go with that, otherwise get the 22-250.

knight0334

I vote for the .223 Rem. Cheaper shooting for a day long venture on some prairie dog towns and the occasional yote. Sure, you're giving up 300-600fps on velocity, but if loaded with the right slugs that wont matter much.

sc928porsche

I have owned both but I still own the 22-250. Nothing says dead marmot at 300+ yards any better. (Marmot= Wood chuck on steriods with an attitude).

Loader9

I travel and hunt in the most dense population of coyotes in the world. You have to KILL a coyote. Those dogs can run off with more lead and holes in them than any animal. Why limit yourself to a 22 caliber? My usual rifle is a 6mm but occasionally a 308 will go as well as a 375 Winchester or a 45-70. Ranges here can be from 25 yds to as far as you can see. Knowing your gun is important when hunting these guys so whatever you chose, shoot it a lot at varying ranges. I'd personally pick a bigger bullet than a 22 caliber.

Flatbush Harry

I'm debating between a .243 Win and a .25-06 for my 'yote rifle. I'm anticipating coyote ranges out to about 400 yds. While I've done nicely on targets out to 600 yds, I'm less inclined to try really long distances.

FH

geetarman

Don't overlook the 25.06.

It is a remarkable cartridge. My Ruger 77V just really performs well with the 117-120 gr. bullets.

I have not had much good luck with the 87-90 gr bullets. I do not know if the barrel twist has too much to do with it but the heavier bullets group well and pack a powerful punch.

Geetarman:D

pythagorean

Before I read you were thinking in the .22 category the .257 Weatherby was my first thought, followed by a 6mm or .243.
At the longer ranges the .22 centerfires on coyotes can lack the anchoring power.

tulsamal

In OK, most coyotes are shot at a significant distance. And it is nearly always windy here. A lot of people do use 25/06 but I actually prefer .257 Roberts AI. Makes a great antelope rifle as well.

Gregg

Waterengineer

Ding, Ding, Ding....we have a weiner!! The post just above this beat me to it. .257 Roberts or .257 Robert AI, either flavor, great cartridge and he is right about it being an antelope gun too.

mdd

I have a 204, 223, two 22-250's, a 243, and two 25-06's. I have called and shot coyotes with all of these calibers. Calling predators is my very favorite form of hunting and I spend a significant amount of time each winter on my favorite pursuit. The longest shot I've made on a coyote with the 204 was 259 yards and I won't do it twice. That coyote ran over a hundred yards after being hit perfectly square in the kill zone. The 40 gr vmax did not exit nor did it kill cleanly at that range. I hunt coyotes to protect my calves and for the sporting challenge involved in succesfully calling them to me. I do not hunt them to see them run off and suffer greatly for an extended period before dying. For this reason based in personal experience I won't use the 204 on coyotes. Going to the other end of the spectrum is my 25-06 v/t model ruger. It's too much gun for hunting pelts but pelts were worth $2 here IF you could find someone to take them. On the other hand, I have never had a coyote take a single step after catching a round from my 25-06. In the interest of being an ethical sportsman, we have a duty to our query to minimize unnecessary suffering. To my way of thinking, that means using enough gun to make quick, clean kills. If that means a 300 mag then so be it. If a 17 will do the job, fine. If its a 22-250 over a 223, the small increase in ammo cost is worth every penny if it makes the difference between one running off wounded or falling over dead.

After some thought im going with the good ol' .223, the cartridges these days get the job done on coyote and since I really havent shot past 200 at the range I wont be taking shots over 300 so the .223 seems like the all around best choice, now I just have to find a gun :p

Do you guys use a 24" or will the 20" barrel fare well enough for coyote? Heres two links on two uppers, with that Standard A4 upper I could upgrade it to a stainless 1/8 twist barrel for 65$ making it $555 vs the Varmint upper thats 24" that runs $640

http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=267

http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=270

Last edited:

James R. Burke

Just myself I think the 22-250, but they both would work great. I am not sure on the barrel liife. Alot would come into play with that.