coyote call question

Daryl

Starting out, I'd probably go with a closed reed. Brand isn't so important as getting one that looks comfortable to blow. All closed reed calls use the same reed design, so one's usually about as good as the next.

Open reed calls are a little harder to master, but they're more versatile once you get the hang of 'em. They also won't freeze up in very cold weather. 'Course, a froze up reed can be solved by simply putting it inside your jacket when you aren't blowing on it.

Sceery makes some excellent calls, so does Circe/Lohman. Lots of custom makers out there these days too, and they're usually pretty good. Pick a design that you like and learn to use it. That'll likely be the best one for you.

If you're anything like me, you'll have a few dozen of 'em in a few years, but will have two or three that you like to use better'n the others.

Mine are a plastic Circe, an old wooden Weems Wildcall, and a critter call pee-wee. This time of year I like to carry a howler on stand, too. Rich Cronk of Cronk Predator Calls made both of my howlers, and they're excellent!

Daryl

Daryl

Hunter Customs

I'm got a good assortment of mouth blown coyote calls, some I made out of deer antler, some are fancy custom made calls by makers such as THO and I have a good assortment of factory produced calls.
I've shot coyotes I've called in with ever mouth call I own. That being said if I had to give up all my mouth calls except for one manufactures it would be my Little Buddie mouth calls.
These things don't look like much but they sure do work. The calls look like about half of a ball point pin with a reed inside them, there's two calls to a package, a red and a blue one. The red one is a cottontail scream the blue one is a jackrabbit scream.
The 1988,1989, and 1990 National Predator Calling Championship was won using these calls, they were also used to place second in the Professional Division in 1989 and 1990.
They clip in a shirt pocket like a ball point pin so there's not much weight to pack and they certainly have a good tone and volume.
I always have a pair with me when I go calling.
If you can't find any in your area e-mail me at bob@huntercustoms.com or call me at (816) 284-0545, I still have a few left in the shop.
Good Luck with your predator calling.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Daryl

Hunter Customs,

Are you the one that makes those? I have a couple that a friend gave me to try, and while I love the calls, I've never figured out where he got 'em from.

They do work really well, and they're handy as heck.

Daryl

A_Gamehog

many choices

I still perfer the mouth calls to electonic calls. I had a favorite for years made by PS-OLT, faun immitation good on everything from Coyotes to Larger Cats.

I use two circe calls with the same pitch. I blow one till it "freezes up" spit and plastic don't mix with -10 degree weather. Then I place it in a warm spot and blow the other. I get more volume with these calls than the electronic styles. Sometimes these electronic calls are unheard by my friends more than 200 yards away in the wind. Randy Anderson has a hot dog call I also use.

Chaz88

Best I ever used was an old duck call used open reed. With a little practice you can change the mouth position for any pitch you want even a squeaker.

Hunter Customs

ESTillEngineer#59,
I sell the calls for $13.00 and that price includes shipping to anywhere in the original 48 states.

Daryl,
I don't make the calls but I do try and keep them in inventory in the shop.

Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com