coyote bait and lures

k31

i have been trying to trap yotes here in the tooele desert, its not going well
at the moment i am laid off and strapped for cash i really could use a few yotes there is a 20$ bounty on them that would help loosen the belt a little.
that being said what is a good make at home bait for yotes?
i have tried a concoction on sardines in water mixed with clam juice and diced clams and used that on a cotton ball in a dirt hole set with no luck. today i found a fresh dead cow (open range) wish the meat were good it may have come home:D. i set two traps near the cow but i think i died in labor and the dogs already got the calf i havent found the carcass yet. i dont think they will get to the cow for a few more days but by then the little scent i left should be gone. i cut a few hunks of beef out of it and used those today. in the past i have had chicken livers turn up missing but nothing in the trap and no signs of it being a yote. i have also tied out chicken wings one or two were chewed on but still no tracks so i think it was a rat.
what other baits are easy to get a hold of for free or could be found in the pantry? kinda at whits end i know they are out there i have called a few in and seen where they are coming from but havent found the den yet.

603Country

I hunt coyotes here in central Texas, and the best bait I can find is dead pigs. I'm overrun with feral hogs and I trap them, keep what I need for the freezer, and then take the hog or hogs out on a hay field and deposit the remains about 20 or 30 yards from the far edge of the field (200ish yards from me). That works pretty good. If it's deer season, the left-over carcass would work as bait, as would dead chickens. And I suppose road kill would work fine, and it's cheap, though smelly. I also call them, using an electonic caller and a me-activated call. The electronic caller works pretty good, but pig remains work better.

cornbush

Try some burned bacon, works great for foxes that get a little trap shy too.
Tooele area gets hit pretty hard, that's probably the biggest part of the problem.
Do you wear gloves when setting your traps, did you boil them before you set them out the first time?

k31

i wear it all i even spray scent killer every where ive been im not trapping tooele though i am out at a place called terra it is just over johnson pass near dougway proving grounds.
every time ive called there i have had one come in but only about 200 yards
i know there are plenty i just dont live near a store that sells lure or bait.
closest store is cabelas in lehi and they dont even carry fox urine so i am avoiding the drive and waiting for permission from the wife to order on lie

cornbush

I've hunted the Johnson's pass area since I could walk....... way too many people for a really successful trap line.
Try out by Dell, or on the Wasatch front, you would be amazed at how many dogs and bobcats you'll find right behind the rich folks fences.:eek:

k31

i have thought about dell alot just never made it out there im not sure of the boundaries there is the airforce base and something else out there and then private land just never made it there yet to check it out my self

Logan9885

I trap here in va which the coyotes may be totally different but anything with a skunky smell is very attractive to them. Its strong enough to help cover your scent at a set also. I use two lures called voodoo and GH2 from minnesota trapline (www.minntrapprod.com) and the hiawatha bait. Its not free but its cheap enough and will help you bag more yotes and bcats if they are any around. These two scents and bait are the only ones i use and I make hundreds of sets each year and always tag out on cats(12) and lose count of coyotes. Hope this helps

A_Gamehog

The lures you are using are good for raccoons and skunks, possum.

Scent is the best lure for coyotes, they are territorial and very protective of their areas and kills. You have seen your dog and many others scratch and sniff in various areas every time they have a chance.

Find a dead coyote, fox (roadkill) and empty the bladder into a spray bottle with a funnel and some help. Then gather some coyote scat from other areas and place it in an empty coffee can and place the lid back on to protect the "gold". The farther away you gather the scat the better your set becomes. Strange scat is better.

Make your set,I always used 2 traps in a semi circle off a well traveled trail. If you place them in the trail you get unwanted deer, cows and others wasting your time and money.

Place your traps 16-20" apart, then place the scat between them, and lastly spray 1oz of urine to mask your scent also. Of course you boiled your traps with water, wax and log crystals? to mask the metal smell and keep them from rusting? always use a drop cloth when you are first setting the traps into the ground, it place the dirt on the cloth, cover the traps with 1/4 or smaller screened dirt the moisture content dictates the screen size.

How do I know? I trapped for 25+ years.

Last edited:

A_Gamehog

When you are 20 + miles from town it's easy. Most domestic dogs eat dry food, it's very easy to tell. Coyotes have bones, hair, berry pits etc in their scat. Dark colored scat has lots of blood in it. Size also tells all.

k31

thanks very much i never thought about scat but i will invest some time in to collecting lol i must say that may wife doesn't care for this trapping stuff every time i come home i have something like a bird i shot or some old cow bones to make my sets look more appealing lol lots of dead things but no coyotes

shortwave

Thanks A_Gamehog

I live in a fairly remote area that seems to be the perfect area for inconsiderate, inhumane P'sOS to dump their unwanted pets.:barf:
The feral dog situation is a problem to say the least. So is the yote problem as I've killed three in the yard just last summer. You can't step out on the porch at night without hearing the yotes talking from ridgetop to ridgetop.

Between the yotes,feral dogs and the wonderful poachers, our deer/turkey population is starting to rapidly dwindle.

I've been learning as much as I can about yotes habits as I can see 'yote hunting' in my very near future:D.

k31

yotes are fun and very unpredictable adnt can bee hard to spot
it was discouraging the first ten times i went out
the second trip i saw one but didnt get a good shot at it i think i gut bust him
after that i didnt see a thing for months
it is funn but the right gear is def. needed to specifically hunt them (not by chance)

A_Gamehog

The best home made lure is Deer Brains. Plan ahead, next year find a road kill deer and cut the head off. Place the brains in a Mayo jar. Leave it in the jar till you need it next fall. In an environment with no light to expose it, you will have a jar of light green thick "special Sauce". I usually dip a stick into it and place it at the back of the set. No coyote or fox can resist it. Nevada, California, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado. It worked everywhere I trapped. No joke it's a great lure for you to use next year. it ferments for at least 6 months. One jar lasts for a season for me. I had 300+ traps and 125 sets or so.

I tried the cat thing also. Good way to get arrested and locked up. That's why PETA hates hunters. We do stupid stuff sometimes.

"JJ"

Have you ever tried calling them? Just a thought!
1296830286.jpg
It depends on what/why you are doing it I guess! If you enjoy trapping, well by all means continue on. If you are trying to get rid of some coyotes you may try it! For me, the thrill of seeing this incredibily smart beast come in hunting me because I fooled it, is a million times greater then the thrill I got when I discoved a sucessful trap set. To me, it seems like calling would be a bit less labor intensive also. But like I said it depends on your goal! Both ways will reduce the coyote population if done well! Best of luck either way!

603Country

Oh, Man....that tip from FlyinPolack about baiting with the family housecat in a cage was truly a screamer. I'm still laughing and my wife is absolutely horrified that I'd try that with one of her precious cats. Sounds like a darn fine idea. Maybe I can trap one of the neighbor's cats. Hmmmmm. I do need to try something new, since I'm in a bit of a dry spell in my coyote hunting.