Cowboy Action Rifles

Billy Tasso

Guys, I'm looking at two rifles and having a hard time deciding which one to purchase. One is the Cimarron 1866 with the brass receiver and the other is the Cimarron 1873 with case hardened receiver. Other than the looks of the receivers are there any differences in the actions and does one have any advantage over the other?
Thanks for any insight from you guys that have been into this a lot longer than I have.

Hawg

The 73 is easier to clear jams(if you ever have one). Just take the side covers off and all the internals are exposed. Both are toggle actions.

Fingers McGee

The '66 and '73 are basically the same action. The '73 has a lever safety that the '66 doesn't and may be hard to get used to. A lot of shooters remove the spring or disable the lever safety. I have both models, a '66 carbine, '73 short rifle, and '73 rifle. The '66 is faster to the shoulder with the flat buttplate; but the '73 short rifle stays planted better with the curved buttplate. The 24" barreled rifle doesnt get used much anymore. It's heavier and harder to swing IMO.

Try em both in various lengths and get what suits you best.

FM

Clamper Ramrod

The '73 is my choice. I am able to clean deep by taking off the side plates and really getting in there.
As for the lever safety, Cowboys and Indians store has a replacement lever safety so light that you'd not know you had one in it.
There are plenty of after market upgrades for each but for cleaning, it's the
'73 for me.

sundance44s

The Uberti 1860 Henry fits me like a glove ..Mine shoots black powder and smokeless well ...Chambered in 45 LC ...I can shoot the 45 Colt or Schofields .
Both function flawless ...The Schofields are a little closer to the original 44 rim fire cartridges size and power levels .
If I were to buy a lever gun for smokeless only ...My choice would be the 1892 Winchester chambered in 45LC...it`s light weight , points natural , and shoots well ...
If I had to chose between a 66 or a 73 ....I`d go with the 66 ...I like the patina you get from yellow metal ....they are both toggle link action , the 73 is easyer to get to the works on though , so you may come down to which one grabs your attion .

Last edited: