Couple questions about an 11/87 super mag

dw

I am wanting to make a good turkey gun i have an 11/87 super magnum with a 28" barrel. I was going to have the barrel cut down into that 21" range and have it tapped choke tubes. Also wanted to know if there is a good collApsible stock for this gun?

Any thoughts are appreciated and if you are reading this and have An 11/87 super mag with the 23" barrel and want to trade barrels shoot me a Pm!!

jmr40

Gas operated semi's are designed to work with a specific barrel length. Cutting one short messes up with the system and it will no longer cycle reliably. It COULD be modified, but no guarantees it will work. I'd leave the barrel length the way it left the factory on this one. Not an issue with pumps.

dw

They offer a 23" barrel for the gun but finding one seems impossible. So if i stuck with 23" i should be ok?

shortwave

They offer a 23" barrel for the gun but finding one seems impossible. So if i stuck with 23" i should be ok

That will depend on whether the gas ports in the 23" bbl are the same size as the ones in the bbl you're cutting.

Sendero700

You may also have to try a heiver load on your rounds since you have less barrel where acumulated gas combines to work the action. A heiver load may do the trick but I tend to agree with jmr40. Stick with what you got....

Virginian

If the barrel is chambered for 3-1/2", all the gas ports in the 11-87s are the same size, and have the gas relief system. Note some 11-87 target barrels are the same as 1100 barrels and don't have the gas relief system, and I think some of the shorter deer barrels are the same way. There is a big difference in gas ports between the gas relief system barrels and the non- gas relief barrels; like 0.050". If you run into cycling problems with a load and a gas relief system barrel, just stick in the barrel seal activator that the SuperMag is supposed to come with for shooting lighter loads. Just don't forget to take it out if you go to heavier loads. If you don't have the barrel seal activator, a fatter O ring will do the same thing. It just blocks the flow of gasses to the relief ports so it is all available to work the action.
I only see a regular a 21" Model 11-87 barrel listed by Remington, not a non-rifled SuperMag 3-1/2" chamber version available separately, and they say the SuperMag barrels will not interchange, unlike the 870s. If you want to go to 23" or 21" with your barrel, going to depend on where the rib post falls, I wouldn't be too concerned, but be advised you will probably not be able to get RemChokes re-installed because the outside diameter will be too small. But Colonials or TruLocks and such will fit. They work fine. The difference between the $110 Super Deluxe Extreme Long Range Monster Turker Slaughterer choke tube and the $15 RedHead Extra Full off the peg at BassPro isn't nearly as great as they would have you believe.

Last edited:

towboat-er

I have a 11/87 and use it for turkey hunting, just the way it is. Its a darn good turkey gun. Then I take it to the clay pigeon shoots on Sundays. Its great for breaking clays too. Its also a darn fine duck gun. I would not even consider cutting down the barrel on my favorite turkey/duck/dove, and whatever else gun.
If I wanted a dedicated turkey gun, Id buy one and not try to create one from an 11/87. :D