Counting rounds shot.

clayking

I frequently see statements about how many rounds have been shot through any particular gun, rifle or pistol. Just how important is it to keep track of this information? Is there a xxx round check-up, or is just for one's personal information. Although I'm not much of a rifle shooter, I do hear that bench rest guys change their barrel's quite often. Heck, I've already put a 1000 rounds or so through a new CZ 75, 3 boxes just today. But in a few months I won't have a clue as to the number of rounds. If one is mainly a plinker, does it matter? .....................ck

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
Every few thousand rounds it's probably worthwhile to replace your recoil spring. Recommendations vary, but somewhere around the 5K mark is not far off most advice.

People keep track so they'll know, I suppose. There's not really any requirement to do so and I'll bet the vast majority of gun owners can only guess.

As far as accuracy, pistols are in an entirely different class than rifles. A high-powered benchrest rifle may only maintain top accuracy for a couple of thousand rounds or so--but we're talking about very different accuracy requirements--and very different barrel wear issues.

Your CZ should be good for many thousands of rounds if properly maintained. A couple of thousand is just a drop in the bucket.

I have a ruger 10/22 that has 100k plus through it and the only thing ive worn out as i remember was an ejector. I have a spare recoil spring on hand but ive never needed to put it in. I have a G17 with over 5k through it and the recoil spring is the same length as a new one so i havent changed it either. JM2C

SW

I usually keep a little index card in my pistol case where I put a mark for every 100 rounds shot. This is mostly for my competition guns that I always keep in top condition with preventative maintenance.

glockopop

I don't know why, but I just started to keep a log of the Wilson Combat pistol I just bought used. I guess part of my reasoning is that I might want to trade it for a single stack Wilson someday and I would have much more confidence in a used gun if the previous owner had cared enough about taking care of it to keep a log.

Gazpacho

Count the boxes of ammo, not the actual rounds. If you got the range and shoot a box of ammo with your CZ, that's (probably) 50 rounds. A thousand rounds is only 20 boxes.

Hal

If one is mainly a plinker, does it matter?
Probably more-so.
It's easy to lose track of the number of rounds that go through a gun.
The potential price you pay with a semi auto is a cracked frame if/when the springs wear out.

A 75b in either 9mm or .40S&W uses a high impulse round compared to say a .45acp. They both operate at high chamber pressures. While high pressure alone isn't detrimental in an of itself, the need to maintain proper springs increases as the number of rounds gone through the gun increases.
As the springs weaken - slide velocity increases and in turn "frame battering" becomes more probable.
Frequent changing of springs will compensate, but throwing away ~ $7-$10 on springs that don't need changed is kind of a waste.

CZ's also have a known problem with slide stop breakage after a certain number of rounds. (~3K IIRC?) If you close, it might be a wise idea to lay in a supply of a couple of them so a range day isn't ruined by a broken part.
Worst case scenario of a broken slide stop could also be the barrel assy going downrange. - although I haven't heard of it happening,,,,yet..

I use Gazpacho's method of box count.
Just put a piece of paper in the case with the gun and put a slash mark down for each box of 50 fired through it.
W/.22's I just tear off one of the sides of the brick and toss it in the case with the gun. 1 ear = 500 rounds.

PSP

clayking said;
Heck, I've already put a 1000 rounds or so through a new CZ 75, 3 boxes just today. But in a few months I won't have a clue as to the number of rounds. If one is mainly a plinker, does it matter? .....................

To answer that question...no, it doesn't matter. A quality handgun should last well into the tens of thousands of rounds without a failure of any part. Using standard ammo helps, as high pressure ammo puts more wear and tear on the pistol. Keep the gun clean and lubed and you should have years of trouble free fun.

When something does start to wear or perform poorly, the pistol will let you know. You will see an increased rate of failures. Have fun 'til then.

281 Quad Cam

I keep track easily because I shoot 100 round value packs of 9mm almost exclusively in my 9mm's. When I get home and clean the gun, and place it into its case, I have a reciept-sized slip of paper in there that I just write "100" or "200" on... and put it away.

.22's I don't keep track... .223 I haven't been keeping track... .32ACP I haven't kept track... Don't know why...

shield20

I started keeping track on my last 2 purchases. The issue comes up very often on these boards as to functionality, reliability, wear and tear, part breakge etc. where it is really nice to know how many rounds we are talking...like "I have 2050 rounds through my HK with no jams"...or "the thumb safety broke on my XSE after only 1200 rounds". "My Beretta has been totally reliable and trouble free for near 20yrs" just isn't as precise, especially if I never shot it!

For guns with recommended maintanance like recoil spring replacemnet keeping count can come in real handy.

j1132s

Since I don't do any formal documentations, I generally loose track around 2K-3K range for each of my pistols. However, before 2-3K, I find it pretty easy to remember how many rounds I've sent down range for each pistol.

If there's an easy way to track the round count info, I'd love to hear it. I think knowing the round count for each firearm is very useful (kind of like knowing the mileage of your car)

Pete45

I keep a round count for maintenance purposes. I clean/lube about every 300 rounds, replace recoil springs about every 4000 rounds. Admittedly, it's not a strict count. I've forgotten to count rounds fired here and there so I've had to guess what went through my pistols on certain days.

As for an easy way to keep a round count... every time I empty a box of ammo at the range, I tear off the flap from the box that has the ammo brand and caliber on it. I write the model of the gun I fired that box of ammo through on the flap and toss it in my range bag. When I get home, I enter the amount of rounds I fired (and through what gun) that day in a notebook. I keep a fairly accurate "rounds fired" count that way. The system works great unless you shoot only some of the box of ammo.

- Pete45

shield20

I printed out a few spreadsheets - simple things with columns for date, ammo brand, round count, comments, etc. Heading for which weapon to keep 'em straight.

Keep them in my range bag. If I forget - then I too rip off the box flap and fill the charts in later.

choochboost

It depends on the gun. Some guns last a lot longer than others. I log everything. Number of rounds, type of ammo, which magazine used, notes on any malfunctions, notes on any repairs or maintenance other than cleaning, etc.