Counterfiet Curio? Interesting in PRK - fake TC Curio models?

Pendragon

Most people in CA know that only hand guns on the approved "safe" list can be sold (excluding private transfers).

Unfortunately, the TC Contender/Encore are not on the list, and it looks like it will never be on the list.

I posted a thread a few days ago about seeing some TC Contenders at a Gun Show. A table specializing in TC products was selling some TC handguns - I asked how and they said they were "Curios" which are exempt from the "safety testing" law.

I did some checking and found that this was actually true. Since they only had a few at the show, I asked - is this all you have? and they said (in an odd way - seemed more odd later as you will see) "no - we can get more..."

Well, I go to my favorite gun store and tell the owner about it and he and the guy that works for him were suprised and skeptical - but they pulled out the book of Curios and there it was.

The ones I saw were IHMSA special edition models - there were 200 made.

Now - here is where it gets funky:

The 2 IHMSA models I saw had silver colored frames (not sure if they were nickel, SS or alloy) and they also had the newer wood grips with rubber insets.

The guys at the store said that the IHMSA versions were made in 1977 and should only come in a blued finish.

They showed me a catalog and I pointed one out in the catalog and they said that the model I pointed out was not made until the 1980s.

They had strong suspicions that these people are making fakes to sell. With only 200 in existence and them being almost a quarter century old - how are they able to just get all they need?

Also - why do they look so modern (and in pristine condition) and why were they selling for $425?

I was going to contact them and get more info - but I lost the business card.

Opinions?

Last edited:

Pendragon

interesting counter point...

Well, that poses an interesting philosophical question Jim.

On the one hand, the law in CA is patently ridiculous - for examply, single action revolvers with a length of 7.5 inches or more are exempt - I cannot understand why single shot, long pistols are not exempt. Clearly this is a case of malum prohibitum.

On the other hand, if I was to buy one of those guns (and I very nearly did) and it WAS a fake, then I am exposed to all kinds of nasty consequences.

However, if I was in collusion, with full knowledge, then my fate is in my own hands.

It seems to me, these people could be defrauding and endangering unsuspecting people with these practices.

The other thing that could be worrisome - I was told that these could be alloy frame guns - and that they alloy frames are not strong enough to handle the 7mm TCU cartridge.

So, on the one hand, I admire the ingenuity, but on the otherhand, there could be some rather severe unintended consequences.

I told the lady at the booth - I wich I could get a TC - she said - just get the rifle, its the same action - I said, thats illegal and she shrugged.

It is a stupid law, but I don't want to have my life ruined over a stupid law. Perhaps that is the ultimate problem....