Counterboring tool

tangolima

I don't have access to a lathe. Can I still counterbore a rifle barrel? I have been trying to locate some sort of piloted cutter, but no luck so far. Suggestions? Thanks.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

5whiskey

Maybe a custom made chamber reamer? How far are you needing to counterbore? It could be done by hand technically, but will be slow going and a lot of work.

tangolima

1/2" to 3/4". I recrowned several rifles with the piloted cutter from Brownells. It is not difficult. The steel in the barrel is actually not that hard. I could have used the same tool if they sell cutter smaller than 1/2" in diameter.

-TL

F. Guffey

I have been trying to locate some sort of piloted cutter

I have never given it much though, I have a set of cutters with changeable pilots and cutters/ for installing guides, by design the first hole is drilled to guide the reamer for precision.

F. Guffey

tangolima

Thanks Mr. Guffey. In this case the hole has been drilled. It is the existing bore. Do you suggest I just ream it larger? Probably several reamers with progressively larger diameters?

-TL

Scorch

You are looking for a piloted drill bit. It would be best if you used a lathe. But I'm sure you can use whatever you want to do the job, it's your gun.

F. Guffey

Do you suggest I just ream it larger? Probably several reamers with progressively larger diameters?
That could be expensive.

I have cutters that cut inside and or outside, the one thing I do not have is a pilot that covers all of the possible diameters for rifles. I have 2 grinders that can be used to make pilots, tapered tools and for grinding anything I can chuck up to length.

I have purchased a few rifles that have been counterbored, I have purchased rifles with tapered muzzles, I also have at least 25 barrels with good rifling from one end to the other.

Reamers? You would have to find a drill with a pilot that would fit your bore. Consider finding a machine shop that would grind a drill bit to the correct diameter.

F. Guffey

BillM

Take a look at muzzle brake reamers. They have a bore diameter pilot, with a
cutter diameter a few thousandth's over bullet diameter.

F. Guffey

Take a look at muzzle brake reamers. They have a bore diameter pilot, with a
cutter diameter a few thousandth's over bullet diameter.

Very good, the taper at the muzzle could be .008". A friend that died in April installed a brake, and then? Accuracy went south.

He called, I asked him if the brake aligned with the bore. Seems the bullet was hitting the brake on one side. I suggested he make, borrow or purchases pilots that would pass through the brake and then align with the bore. Anyhow, the customer and my friend worked it out.

F. Guffey

Multiple reamer steps can result in cumulative offset, so I wouldn't recommend it as a first approach. I've never been able to open a smooth round hole more than a couple or three thousandths with one without some centerline offset or some unintended beagling occurring. What you could do, though, is follow BillM's suggestion, and if the resulting counterbore doesn't shoot well and/or throws fliers and shows copper wipings, then use chucking reamers to widen it further until it works.

Another approach would be to call Dave Manson (Manson Reamers) and ask if he can make you a narrower 90° cutter for the Brownell tool and find out if the price is something you can tolerate. The reason I suggest 90° is that even if it gets a little off-center, the crown edge gets a uniform angle all around.

tangolima

Thanks. The muzzle brake reamer does look promising. It is available from Pacific tools for $66, which is quite reasonable.

But I am a bit confused how it would work with a muzzle brake though. The brake is threaded to the muzzle end. The pilot must be longer, and much longer than the brake. The picture of the reamer doesn't seem to have a long pilot.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/muzzle-brake-reamers-nopix-/44-65mm-muzzle-brake-reamer.html

The rifle in question is 8mm Mauser. I don't seem to have that caliber in their product line up.

I am not sure how well non-piloted reamers will not either. I thought that was what Mr. Guffey was suggesting, that the existing bore would guide the reamer in.

A smaller (0.375” to 0.4" diameter) crowning cutter that works with Brownells brass pilots would be perfect. Unfortunately, they only have 0.5" or 0.75".

-TL

Check with them on the size of the pilot on their .32. If it is the same .32 as in .32 Remington, then the bore is 0.001" wider than your 8 mm (8×57 IS?) and since they are made to order anyway, they might well be able to make you one with an extra 0.001" taken off the pilot, if that is even necessary. The way to find out is to slug your bore with a pure lead slug and measure it across the engraving marks.

T. O'Heir

Not if you want it done correctly. It's highly unlikely you'll get the counter bore square and round doing it by hand.
A muzzle brake reamer isn't removing anywhere near the amount of steel.

tangolima

How much bigger should a counterbore be than the groove diameter? A muzzle brake reamer is apparently good enough for a muzzle brake. Why isn't it good enough for a counterbore?

-TL

It probably is, but because there is no lateral venting of gas, more of it surrounds and bypasses the bullet on its way through the recess. That could lead to increased initial yaw which may be deleterious to accuracy, at least at extreme range.

tangolima

So how much clearance should there be? I read somewhere 0.05” more in diameter would suffice.

-TL

I've seen, I think, a Mosin with an armory counterbore diameter of 9mm (0.354"; that's an estimate as I measured it with a pocket caliper and the inside jaws frequently come up a couple of thousandths short of actual ID and my reading was 0.352"). You can get some inexpensive 9 mm reamers. But since you can't put metal back on as easily as you can take it off, if you started with the flash hider reamer diameter and later opened it with the 9mm, it might not be perfect but any error will probably act on the bullet consistently. But before I messed with any of it, I'd call the makers and see if you can't just buy what you want. A special .32 cal with the right bore pilot and a .35 caliber cutter.

tangolima

0.354"-0.311"=0.043". That matches what I have read.

I plan to talk to Pacific tools to see where they can make me a custom one for $66. If not I have plane B. Interchangeable piloted counterbore can be had for $25. The pilot is the problem. A buddy with a mini lathe can make me one for some barter credit.

Will see.

-TL