Cost of reloads

sxm1

Is there an easy way to figure the exact cost of reloads. Cost per shell is easy with primers and wads, harder with powder and shot. Just curious.

Shotgun693

Costs:
Brass, at first.
Primers, $/#.
Powder, convert ounces into grains, grains per lb/grains per round.
Bullets, price per thousand/number of bullets.

This would get you in the Ball Park.

oneounceload

There is a recoil and cost calculator on the web from 10X

powder is 7000 grains per pound divided by your charge
shot is price per bag/divided into ounces and multiplied by charge weight

UtopiaTexasG19

Like any other "production" project the initial cost will be more than buying at a store because of the initial out lay of tools and supplies but as time goes on and you re-load more dividing the cost by number of rounds gives you better and better savings. When do you break even money wise compared to buying bullets when on sale? Depends on how fancy the initial tools/supplies were and how much volume you create over time. I enjoy reloading too much to worry about the cost. I know that eventually my cost per round goes down to a point below commercial bullets but the pleasure of melting, casting, trying out new powders and configurations is more gratifying than any initial cost. I also rebuild antique cars as a hobby dating from 1895 to 1931 and if I took into consideration the initial cost in my labor and parts to get a unit running as it was originally would never start the project in the first place. The pleasure in learning a new skill makes life interesting and at some point money does not play into the final out come for me.
PS- My wife and I have been married for 30 years. We rarely go out to eat, take very good care of, and drive our vehicles for 10-12 years each and have never taken a vacation so we figure the money we blow on fun to entertain and have fun around the house is more than enough payment for our hard work over the years. This includes re-loading in my case. :)

mo84

tom234 said "Just add the component costs. I recently did a cost comparison for loading my own Dove loads or buying them. With shot now costing >$50/25# I found that I only saved 30-50 cents per box over similar ammo on sale at Cabela's or Wal Mart. For upland/high base loads it may be more advantageous to reload.
http://10xshooters.com/calculators/S...ReloadingCost/ "

I found the same thing a while ago when I ran out of shot. It is not worth it to me to reload for 12 gage anymore. now I only load 10 gage and 410 if I wanna save money. in the back of most reloading books there are conversion tables that help in figuring out how much shells cost but the online calculators are way easier.

NWPilgrim

I do not load shotshell, but I have read for years now it is cheaper or nearly so to buy shotshells rather than reload your own. Most handgun cartridges are way cheaper to handlaod especially if you use cast lead bullets or cast your own. Rifle is generally much cheaper, but nowadays you can buy Russian steel case ammo as cheap as you can reload for the plinking stuff. As soon as you get into hunting or target ammo then handloading is cheaper all the time.

TXGunNut

Unless you're loading up something special or very bored I'd go with the promo loads @ the box stores. There's a whole lot of shootin' in a $50-60 case of dove loads. Loading them yourself takes time, involves loading equipment and saves little money. I keep a Lee Loadall around for loading blanks or something unusual but it's been idle for years.

Dr. Strangelove

oneounceload said:
Funny how folks who do not reload for shotgun seem to know very little about the cost savings. I can reload for $3.35/box compared to $5.50 from wally world.

At 4000 boxes per year, that $2/box = $8,000 AND I am reloading a shell that won't beat the shoulder and induce long-term shoulder damage

Sure, for 4000 boxes, however, the average shooter isn't going to see a significant cost savings at today's component prices buying in normal volume.

I've looked into it, I just don't shoot enough shotgun to make it cost effective, I'd have to shoot more shells per year than I have in my entire life combined to make loading shot shells cost effective.

That's not to say I might not still get into it just because I want to, but I don't expect any cost savings at the volume I would be loading.

sxm1

I'll do the math and get back to y'all

I "think" the cost of heavy dove loads is high enough to make reloading worth it again. I used to reload all of my dove and target loads but the cost seemed to average out several years ago and I stopped. Recently I bought components and have reloaded about 200. I like the idea of rolling my own but don't want it to cost more.