Cost of 9mm pistol magazines

Kurbsky

I decided to buy some extra magazines and discovered that the only 9mm pistol in my collection that has reasonably priced magazines is my Glock G19 - for $15 or less. Is this why they are the #1 seller?

TunnelRat

I typically like 5 magazines for a given pistol. So let’s go on the higher end and say those magazines are $50 a piece. $250, not something to sneeze at. A lot of places locally and online are running about $0.40 a round of 9mm. That $250 is a whopping 625 rounds of 9mm.

Why do I mention this? I have no doubt that the cost of accessories, and moreso the availability of accessories, is a factor in Glock’s appeal for many shooters. However, if you’re going to shoot that pistol to any significant extend the cost of ammunition is going to quickly dwarf the cost of those magazines. This was true even before the pandemic. And I say this as someone that owns a lot of Glock magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SSGN-Doc

There is indeed a reason that every time a 9mm carbine gets introduced people always ask, “Does it take Glock mags?”.

Shadow9mm

I have shot glocks for many years. Factory magazines around $21. I got a sig last year, and was shocked and rather displeased by the $50 price tag.

JDBerg

When I moved to CA, I was able to buy new in the bag 10 round Magpul mags from a guy who had extras, for my Glock 17 & 19 for $5 ea. No such luck trying to find a deal on 10 round mags for my HK P30 and P2000. Those lo-cap mags were going for right around $50 each.

TunnelRat

When I moved to CA, I was able to buy new in the bag 10 round Magpul mags from a guy who had extras, for my Glock 17 & 19 for $5 ea. No such luck trying to find a deal on 10 round mags for my HK P30 and P2000. Those lo-cap mags were going for right around $50 each

Hell, the standard capacity ones were going for close to $40 when I had mine.

JDBerg

TunnelRat said:
Hell, the standard capacity ones were going for close to $40 when I had mine.

I bought my HK45 used with 2 extra mags, total 4. I almost fell over when I saw these online going for $70 bucks a piece.

TunnelRat

Yeah the HK45 series was brutal in magazine pricing. Whenever I sold an HK I always sold any magazines over the original two over on the HK forums. It was bizarre selling used magazines for 2-3 times the cost of a factory new Glock magazine.

KyJim

Every McGar mag I’ve bought has been a quality mag, regardless of the pistol. Usually, much less expensive

gc70

kurbsky said:
I decided to buy some extra magazines and discovered that the only 9mm pistol in my collection that has reasonably priced magazines is my Glock G19 - for $15 or less. Is this why they are the #1 seller?

Sell all of your other 9mm pistols and consolidate on Glocks. If you have multiple 9mm Glocks, you also benefit from the commonality of Glock magazines by caliber.

There - a happy resolution to your complaint!

BillM

Glock mags are cheap.
1911 mags (good ones) are twice as much.
Wife and i shoot USPSA Open division. 2011 9mm double stack.
One of the more popular mag brands is MBX
140mm long (23-24 rds) $130
155mm long (26-27 rds) $145
170mm long (29-30 rds) $160
These are the same mags as the currently popular Staccato pistols use.
We each have 3x140, 1x155 and 2x170. $875 per gun.

Yup---9mm mags can be expensive.

44 AMP

Staff
The more widely produced and used the gun is, the greater the volume of magazines made and so a lower per unit cost, usually. Especially anything in large scale use by police and /or the military.

As one example I got out of the Army in the late 70s and wanted nothing to do with the AR rifle after that. Did get .223 and Mini 14. Made it part way through the 80s before sheer economics drove me to the AR platform. At the time, a 30 rnd stick for the Mini-14 was just under $15, and a 30 rnd mag for the M16/AR15 was a whopping $3! (Three dollars).

Not like that today, but the same principles still apply.

JDBerg

KyJim said:
Every McGar mag I’ve bought has been a quality mag, regardless of the pistol. Usually, much less expensive

Roger that. The 16 round CZ 75B mags I bought that were MecGar branded were a lot cheaper than the identical mags that originally came with the gun but which were CZ branded.

FITASC

Why do I mention this? I have no doubt that the cost of accessories, and moreso the availability of accessories, is a factor in Glock’s appeal for many shooters. However, if you’re going to shoot that pistol to any significant extend the cost of ammunition is going to quickly dwarf the cost of those magazines. This was true even before the pandemic. And I say this as someone that owns a lot of Glock magazines.

Us clay target shooters say the same thing regarding the higher end shotguns. The cost of ammo and targets will easily dwarf the price of even a Kreighoff or Perazzi.

TunnelRat

Glock mags are cheap.
1911 mags (good ones) are twice as much.
Wife and i shoot USPSA Open division. 2011 9mm double stack.
One of the more popular mag brands is MBX
140mm long (23-24 rds) $130
155mm long (26-27 rds) $145
170mm long (29-30 rds) $160
These are the same mags as the currently popular Staccato pistols use.
We each have 3x140, 1x155 and 2x170. $875 per gun.

Yup---9mm mags can be expensive.

Holy cow. Why so expensive, smaller production runs?

Kurbsky said:
Just the opposite.

It's called "economies of scale." Making one of something may be expensive. making gazillions of the same thing brings the cost down significantly. Glocks aren't popular because their magazines are cheap. Glock magazines are cheap because Glock sells so many pistols (and magazines).

BourbonCowboy

Yep, I've noticed that the cost of mags has gotten to the point of being unreasonable. But then again, both my semiautos are HKs - and those mags have always been unreasonable. I just bought one or two a month until I had more than I wanted. I might pick up a P30 or P30SK next year...and I won't need to buy any more mags.