Corroded .30 Cal Bullets

zanthope

I bought some 30 caliber 150 gr M2 milsurp pull-down bullets for Garands from Widener's. The price was right...$46/1000 with shipping included.

About ten percent of them are corroded so bad they've turned green. I worked on them with a lead-away rag and they polished up OK, but now they're black. The surface seems smooth, and the jacketing is intact, but somewhat weakened, I'm sure

Maybe a dumb question, but - are these OK to shoot? I wonder about what might happen in a pressurized bore.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
If all the corrosion is off of them go ahead and shoot em. They may not be the most accurate in the world but will be safe. I think the rag may have casued the gilding metal to trun black.........if you have a tumbler try that instead.

sricciardelli

If they are smooth and clean, shoot them. If they are pitted or rough finished, toss them.

You would have been better off tossing them in a vibrator with some treated walnut media to remove the crud.

zanthope

Thanks for the replies, all.

I did run them in the tumbler with a little paint thinner for about three hours before I loaded them. It took some of the crud off. I might run a bigger batch all night and see how they do.