Correcting Nose Diving In Pistol Magazines

Minorcan

I have a vintage Star Model Super B and some original magazines for it. The problem is that I have a problem with rounds nose diving in the magazine which results in Failure-To-Feed as the rounds are catching on the feed ramp. On other magazines I have cut one half a turn off the bottom of the magazine spring. This puts force on the front of the magazine follower. The problem I am having with the Star magazines is that their magazine bases appear to press fit. There is no disassembly pin, etc..

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas? I like the pistol and it used to fire perfectly but not now. I would like to get it operating smoothly again.

Thanks Much for any advice.

Pond James Pond

Is there some way that you could glue a thin section of plastic onto the magazine follower so that any cases loaded into the mag would already be a bit more nose "up"?

James K

Member In Memoriam
IIRC, those mags come apart like 1911 magazines. Rest the base on a solid support, and press down the follower with a wood dowel until a pin/nail can be inserted through the observation holes to capture the follower. Turn the magazine upside down and shake out the follower then carefully remove the pin and release the spring. To assemble, compress the spring with the dowel enough to capture it then insert the pin. Drop the follower in and hold it while you release the spring.

Jim

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
It can be a combination of things, such as what you and Scorch describe, the magazine spring not putting enough pressure on the front of the follower, or the lips on the magazine not formed correctly. I would look at the spring first, and make sure there is enough spring tension, that the nose of the follower keeps the nose of the rounds angled up, when you close the slide. If it is not that, then the lips may be too closed.

Find a magazine that works and then compare the lips.

Also check the follower to see if it moves freely in the magazine body. Does the follower move up and down parallel to the angle of the feed lips?