Correct me if Im wrong......

warpig602

While being new to this site, Im definitely not new to the firearms world. Is it just me or does their seem to be a lot of unecessary Ruger love here?

Im active on a lot of different forums but up until now I have never seen so many Ruger fanatics. Ruger makes some nice revolvers and has cleaned up some autos with similar designs to makle them a little more appealing but I still dont see why they seem to be the end all gun for a lot of members here.

To each their own, just an observation. To be fair, Im a recovering Sigaholic who relapses monthly. :D

SPUSCG

Ruger is a good price and known to back product well. Ill say a SIG is way above ruger, but rember, some people got 300-400 top drop on a p series, and dont have 750 bucks for the SIG.

SwampYankee

Ruger makes semi's but Ruger excels at revolvers. The Redhawk, the Security Six, The Blackhawk, the Single Six, The Vaquero and even though they are not my favorites, the GP-100 and SP-101 are all extremely fine working-man's revolvers. When it comes to revolvers, Ruger offers the best price for value. And they are some of the most robust firearms made. What is not to love?

warpig602

Ruger is a good price and known to back product well. Ill say a SIG is way above ruger, but rember, some people got 300-400 top drop on a p series, and dont have 750 bucks for the SIG.

I hear ya, FWIW, I find used Sigs for under 500 frequently. Even if I couldnt spend that much, I think there are better guns than the Ruger at the same price level. It purely my opinion, but when it comes to Ruger autos, they always seem to be a step behind or just not quite get it right.

overkill0084

I only own one Ruger, a MK3. I would eventually like to get a Redhawk. Ruger builds a helluva lot of gun for the money. While there may be the odd one with problems, Ruger has built a very good reputation for quality and durability. Build good stuff for a good price, you are eventually going to get a loyal customer base.

You want overwrought love-ins? Insult Glock and see what happens.

Glenn Dee

Ruger Love?

I think if you take time to peruse the various threads... your going to find at least the same amount of preference for S&W's.

As far as the Rugers they are great guns. No one can deny this. OK so they can do double duty as a boat anchor. Ruger has it's own style. The reason IMO they have such a following is... they work.

I've personally had issues with ONE Ruger auto pistol I've owned. I actually prefer the Ruger Mini 14 (I own two) to my Colt Hbar M4. Go figure. They have a product line good enough for people to bet their live on every day.

Oh yeah I'm a S&W fanatic... But I'd depend on a ruger any day. Maybe the people on this forum lean a little more to the side of a practical firearm as opposed to theory. (if that makes sense)

Glenn

Onward Allusion

warpig602
Correct me if Im wrong......
While being new to this site, Im definitely not new to the firearms world. Is it just me or does their seem to be a lot of unecessary Ruger love here?

OK you're wrong. :D

All kinds here. From Colt all the way down to Taurus or even Hi Point <gasp!!!>. :D We're just a bunch that enjoy firearms. Personally I "love" S&W...

TailGator

I can't say that I have noticed Ruger being excessively touted on these boards, to be honest. I don't own one, but people who do seem to be a fairly satisfied lot. Folks who are Ruger fans mention reliability, good value at the price point, good customer service, and sometimes a preference for a company with American ownership and manufacturing jobs. So perhaps customer satisfaction is sufficient to get them good reviews without a lot of unnecessary hype. I don't really read the silly "best gun in the world" stuff that some other manufacturers seem to attract. (Yes, I own a Glock. ;))

jcsturgeon

Ruger, by percentage of the market actually sold the most handguns last year. They are an incredibly popular firearm, and have a reputation for being extremely durable and tough. I am surprised though, that short of the Mini-14 they haven't had much catch on in "commercial application". They do specialize in revolvers which are mostly obsolete but you almost never see cops or military using Ruger products.

gearhounds

As said, Ruger makes excellent revolvers, great .22 target pistol series, and several well regarded rifles (10-22, mini 14/30, M77) and has made vast improvements in semi pistols over the original P series (originals were not dependable). They even have a dandy little piston driven AR-ish tac rifle I like, except for the price tag.

I have 2 MKII's (6" bull, and standard), 2 10-22's (tricked out tack driver, 1 bone stock) a mini 14, and a GP100, all of which I have no problems with.

I am a Sigaholic in denial, but like the Ruger's I have.

warpig602

Glenn, I see what you're saying but Sig, Glock, HK and Smiths work as well. I have read thousands of posts on various forums, people asking about what gun to get etc, never have I seen Ruger named as an option as much as I have seen here.

EdInk

It appears you have been corrected.:D

Seriously though, I am a new Ruger fan compared to most people. There are many reasons people like Ruger. One major issue is S&W's (real or perceived) decline in quality in recent years. Another is they are well priced. The variety of firearms offered is huge. There are plenty more but you get the idea.

chris in va

I agree, Ruger makes a good gun but after owning a couple and firing a few, can't really say any float my boat.

I will say however that their price point is working to their advantage. My friend is looking for a first handgun and a $350 Ruger is hard to beat with his limited funds.

warpig602

Id take a PD trade in Glock for 350.00, a much better gun. I dont even like Glocks. I guess price isnt really a factor for me when Im choosing something my life may depend on. If it was I would save up another 50 bucks and have better choices to choose from.

Wyosmith

Well here's my qualifications and opinion on the "Ruger matter"
I am a full time gunsmith, and a part time firearms instructor. I used to be a full time instructor with the USMC and later the DOD and I have taught classes to MANY state and Federal agencies over the last 30 years or so. .I am also a former founder and later CEO of Cast Performance Bullet Company. In the last 36 years I have used more guns than I can count, burned the throats out of at least 18 barrels and seen fired over a million rounds from small arms used by my fellows and students.

I know a little bit about guns.

In my professional opinion, NO ONE makes a better 22 LR hand gun or rifle than Ruger for the price, and perhaps at ANY price. The one flaw in their Mk3 pistol is their concession to the PC movement in adding the abominable magazine disconnector, which made an otherwise perfect design into something of a pain in the neck, and prevents the users of there 22/45 from actually doing the cross training they want to do with their 1911 pistols because the mags now will not drop free from the guns. ( Horrible lapse in judgment on Ruger’s part. )

NO ONE makes better DA Revolvers than Ruger. I am an old S&W man myself, and I have grown up with S&Ws for many many years, but from the standpoint of design, and as a gunsmith, I cannot say a thing against a Ruger DA revolver. No criticisms at all.

Only Freedom Arms makes a higher quality SA revolver and those cost 3X more than a Ruger.

The Ruger M-77 Mk2 Bolt action is excellent, and at the top “rung of the ladder” for production rifles made in the USA. Kimber does a “nicer” rifle is a few ways, but they are not "worlds ahead" of Ruger. Winchester-FN, Ruger and Kimber are all very good bolt actions. Savage is nipping hard at their heals too.

The Ruger Red Label shotgun is excellent, but not as well fitted up metal to metal as some of its competitors.

The new Ruger striker-fired pistols are too new for me to have an opinion yet. The first runs of 9mms had triggers that were so bad as to make the gun nearly useless to a lot of good shooters, but the later ones seem a LOT better. If this works out, I would be interested to see if they can give Glock and the Springfield XDs a run for their money.

The Ruger #1 dominates the Single shot market. The early ones sometimes had “so-so” barrels, but most of the new ones are very accurate and the rifle is flawless when it comes to strength and reliability.

The Mini 14 series is not all it could be.
Ruger shot themselves in the foot here, especially when it comes to the mini-30 and the Mini 6.8. There is NO WAY most Americans are going to pay the asking price for a mini in either of those 2 calibers and do so knowing they can only get 4-5 shot magazines for them, when for about the same price the AR market is wide open.
And the ARs are generally more accurate. If Ruger were to standardize some things in production to make their rifles more accurate, and offer CHEAP 25 to 30 round mags for the mini series of rifles, they would take a large chunk of the market back away from the AR buyers, but as they are now, it’s not going to be a competitive rifle.

The new Ruger Scout is good, but going to a long single stack (and very expensive) mag was a BIG mistake in my opinion!
If the 10 round mags sold for 15 to 20 dollars many people would buy the rifle and just accept the fact that if they want to carry more ammo they can buy 3-4 more mags. But most will NOT spend $60 X4 to get those mags. ($240 for just 4 mags)

OR-- If Ruger would have used a metric pattern FAL mag in their design, they could have probably sold the new Scouts faster then they could make them, and do so for years.One more bone head move on Ruger’s marketing team on this rifle. Probably the same man that made the magazine disconnector for the Mk3 pistol. (The man needs to go to work selling groceries somewhere, but please let him quit or get fired from Ruger….)

Last edited:

warpig602

To clear things up, I should have been more specific from the beginning, it s the love or Ruger autos that is a surprise to me. Not the revovlers or long guns.

ClayInTx

In the Confessional:

Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. I spent the rent money to buy a gun I didn’t really need.

My son, you are forgiven. Do five “Our Father”s and four “Hail Mary”s. Now what did you buy?

Father, yesterday I bought another Ruger.

Gracious me, my son. You can scratch the “Our Father”s. I thought you were going to say Glock. Uh... want to sell that Ruger?

Seaman

Yo warpig602,

Sigaholia...I know your pain, and also suffer from Coltaholia, Smithaholia, and Waltherholia.

Need to broaden my horizons...perhaps sleeping with a .357 Ruger birds head Vaquero would help me better understand the cosmos.

Now look what you've done, turning me into a Rugerholic...