Correct front sight on 1911 Government model

Joe Blacke

What is the correct height for the front sight on a 1911 Government model? I was under the impression that it was .150", and installed a Novak night sight front on my pistol. It now shoots 2" high at seven yards.

Brian Bilby

Depends on the model of gun and barrel lock up (Does it lock high or low). I would recommend a .185. With most rear sights that seems to be the right height.

Brian

Joe with the Novak low mnt, I normally use a front sight @ .0170-.0175 on 5" guns, The .150 is best suited for compacts with fixed sights, I fit about 5-7 per wk, with Novak rear for cust.SC <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Blacke:
What is the correct height for the front sight on a 1911 Government model? I was under the impression that it was .150", and installed a Novak night sight front on my pistol. It now shoots 2" high at seven yards.[/quote]

------------------

Great point on barrel lock-up missed that one, but It still falls in the range of "most" match/ fact. barrels.I can If for nothing else fit a barrel (NM) and eat humble pie.SC <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Bilby:
Depends on the model of gun and barrel lock up (Does it lock high or low). I would recommend a .185. With most rear sights that seems to be the right height.

Brian
[/quote]

Jim V

I am using a front sight that is .187 tall with MMC adjustables, the sight has my adjustments in the middle of teh travel. The barrel locks up tight, no movement when applying pressure on the bbl. hood thru the ejection port.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Joe Blacke

Thank you gentlemen for your help. After I posted this, I took a caliper to my Kimber Classic with aftermarket sights, and it measured the .185".

I just need to see if my gunsmith will have the correct height sight.