Cornyn [(R) Senate Candidate] supports more checks at gun shows

Brent

Cornyn supports more checks at gun shows
Kirk favors enforcing existing laws rather than making new ones
09/22/2002

By GROMER JEFFERS Jr. / The Dallas Morning News

In the race to elect Texas' next senator, it's the moderate Democrat who says unlicensed sellers at gun shows don't need to run background checks on buyers, and the conservative Republican who says a law should be passed to give them more scrutiny.

Republican John Cornyn supports more precautions for dealers at shows, and Democrat Ron Kirk opposes them. "I believe we need to enforce our current gun laws rather than create new ones," Mr. Kirk said. Mr. Cornyn, the state attorney general, thinks the checks are necessary. "They should allow it to be done without delay," he responded.

The candidates were asked their views on guns after appearances Saturday by Charlton Heston at Southfork Ranch and in Longview, where he campaigned for Mr. Cornyn. Both candidates agree on other issues involving guns. They both support the state law that allows cities to ban concealed weapons from being carried into parks, hospitals and other public places. A move to keep cities from banning concealed weapons on public property is expected to be a leading gun-related proposal in next year's Texas legislative session.

The Senate candidates also both own guns, though neither has a state license to carry a concealed weapon. Mr. Cornyn, who says he likes to hunt, has a collection of riffles, shotguns and a pistol. Mr. Kirk did not specify the type of firearm he owns. Mr. Heston, who recently disclosed he has symptoms consistent with Alzheimer's disease, is president of the National Riffle Association. The legendary actor said his support of Mr. Cornyn stems from his protection of the personal freedoms enjoyed by Americans.
Mr. Cornyn said he teamed with George W. Bush in 1998, when he was governor, to develop the Texas Exile program, which he said led to more than 1,200 prosecutions for violent offenders who used guns. But the attorney general said prosecuting criminals does not sour him on the rights of citizens to bear arms.
"I'm proud to support the second amendment rights of Texans and Americans," he said. "People like me and other law abiding citizens are not a threat to the public, so there's no real reason to try to control or otherwise limit law abiding citizens the access firearms for legitimate purposes."

Mr. Kirk has a similar stand. "I respect the right of sportsmen and law abiding citizens to own guns and would fight to protect these rights in the U.S. Senate," he said. Gun control advocates want federal legislation that would force unlicensed sellers at gun shows to conduct mandatory criminal background checks. Mr. Kirk says existing laws are sufficient. Mr. Cornyn, in contrast, says such checks are needed. "He's strong on keeping guns out of the hands of people who are not eligible to have them," said Cornyn spokesman Dave Beckwith. "He feels the trade-off is worth it."

The right to own and carry guns was the key topic during Mr. Heston's appearance at Southfork in Parker, east of Plano. In the infamous Oil Baron's ballroom as seen in the show Dallas, Mr. Heston urged the crowd of 150 to support John Cornyn. Looking frail as he moved slowly to the podium, he waved at the crowd, pausing once to interact with a children's choir. The crowd stood an applauded the man best known for his movie role as Moses in the Ten Commandments for several minutes. Mr. Heston spoke for less than a minute, but his message was clear. "John Cornyn defends freedom and the Bill of Rights," he said. "John Cornyn supports President Bush. Texas and American needs John Cornyn."

Mr. Heston ended his speech with a reference to his starring role in the 1959 epic movie Ben-Hur, a role that merited him an Oscar. "Just remember, you've got to stay on the chariot," he said. The film's climatic chariot race is considered one of the most riveting action scenes ever captured on film. Mr. Cornyn said Mr. Heston's visit to the Dallas area stirred his emotions. "We have new reasons to admire Charlton Heston and his courage," he said. "He is an example of the triumph of the human spirit," he said. "He's still vigorous. He's got a lot to offer and he has very strong principles."

Mr. Cornyn then delivered a line that brought another ovation. "Just when I thought we couldn't top bringing the president to Texas, we brought Moses to Texas," he said. After his visit to Southfork, which generated $30,000 for his campaign, Mr. Cornyn visited Longview. "In East Texas, they refer to gun control as using both hands," he said.

ON THE ISSUES
Republican John Cornyn and Democrat Ron Kirk, candidates for the Senate:

What is your overall position on the regulation of guns?
Both candidates support the right of citizens to carry guns.

Do you own guns?
Cornyn: Pistol, several rifles and several shotguns
Kirk: Owns a gun

Do you have a state license to carry a concealed handgun?
Cornyn: No. But used a license to go dove hunting recently and didn't hit anything.
Kirk: No.

Should cities be allowed to ban concealed weapons from being carried into public places, such as hospitals, parks and libraries?
Cornyn: Yes. As attorney general, issued an opinion last year stating cities could allow such bans.
Kirk: Supports current law that allows such restrictions

Should unlicensed sellers at gun shows be required to run criminal background checks?
Cornyn: Yes. Should allow it to be done without delay.
Kirk: No – doesn't think new law is needed.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I hunted up his website and sent a polite email pointing out that ignorance of the "doings" at gunshows is curable. I emphasized my distaste for wasted tax dollars in enforcement of inefficacious laws and regulations, and suggested that those who propose more waste of public money commonly don't get my vote.

http://www.johncornyn.com

:), Art