cordless drill for cleaning bores?

Gunaholic

I'm thinking of using a cordless drill for cleaning handgun bores. I would attach a rod and bronze brush and use some type of solvent of course. What do you guys think? Will this damage the bore, specially the rifling in any way? I'm just tired of spending so much time on cleaning the bore. I'm thinking about 30 seconds worth of revolutions would be equal to hundreds of back and forth strokes.

Kermit

I came up w/ that idea once before and was told that using a drill that way is a great way to erase the rifling in the barrel...don't know if that's true or not, I never tried it. If you go ahead and do that, post your results ;)

Dave R

Not only is it bad, I don't think it will clean as well as push-pull.

The drill is going to spin the brush crossways to the rifling, so the brush will never catch the crud nestled right against the rifling. You have to have the brush going parallel with the rifling in order to catch that stuff.

johnwill

I agree with the don't opinions. It'll clean the high spots, but you won't really get the rifling clean. You'll just have to resolve to spend the time to do the job properly. :)

fubsy

I wouldnt do it..........but may I make a suggestion.......depending on the size of the pistols....you can use a small parts cleaning tank, I use mineral spirts in mine...., I remove the grips and submerge or let the fluid run over it...it does work.....of course dont submerge your hands....if you dont want to use mineral spirts......you could probably come up with one of those kegs of hoppes #9....I dont know if it would damage the pump.....of yeah you still have to use rods and patches, but it does make it eaiser for me, especially if Im rushed for time ......I just let it soak.....also I dont do my glocks this way, there just way to easy to clean....fubsy.

sm

No,

Skeet boys been doing this for years on smoothbores,between changing tubes.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I agree with not using it, not because it will "erase" the rifling, but because, as others have said, it won't do too good a job. Note, though, that if the rod is steel, there is a chance of damage to the barrel.

However, I have been cleaning revolver cylinders that way for years with no damage. I don't use a rod, just chuck the brush into the drill press and run the cylinder up and down as the chuck turns.

Jim

mattjoe

I done it plenty on my shotguns. Doens't cause the least bit of a problem, i've used brass brushes and those stainless "cyclone" brushes.
Haven't ever done it on my pistols or rifles, don't know if i would. They wouldnt much get gunked up like shotguns can from plastic wads. I figure, I shoot mostly jacketed through the guns, so they dont get all that dirty. If i shoot lead, i'll follow them with a few jacketed through them, clean em out that way.

Other than that, they'll be fine if I only clean the barrels every other month, not like I shoot corrosive junk out of them.

johnwill

If i shoot lead, I'll follow them with a few jacketed through them, clean em out that way.
Personally, I think this is a real bad idea. If there is significant leading, it can raise pressures dangerously! This is one of the stated causes of the Glock kaboom issue, and it's not hard to see why that might happen. However, even for guns without poly rifling, I think this is a bad idea. All you succeed in doing is to remove some of the lead, and iron the rest of it into the grooves where it's REALLY hard to get out!

seadog

NO WAY, even for cylinder chambers. Use a lead wipe away cloth or JB bore compound. That stuff will remove ANYTHING.

batwing

There are basically two types of phos. bronze brushes for use in revolvers: the chamber brush and the benchrest brush. The chamber brush has a slightly larger diameter than the benchrest brush. The benchrest brush is for the rifled barrel and should be used only with a push-pull cleaning rod --- NEVER with a cordless drill. The chamber brush is for cleaning the cylinder chambers and can safely be used with a cordless drill.

You're working too hard. Go to the grocery store and buy some soapless copper scouring pads. Wrap some around a worn cleaning brush and you'll remove the lead soon enough. Works great and cuts down time.

Master Blaster

when you do the lead removal with the choreboy or a bore brush, dont use any cleaner oild or solvent and make about 5-8 passes.
I have found that like the Lewis lead remover removing lead with a brush works better if you do not lube the barrel first.;)

bountyh

Never in a barrel. I use them in wheel gun cylinder tubes just on the burn ring buildup, and I only use nylon brushes (never metal).

S.F.S

Never in the barrel!!!

I have used it in the cylinders of my GP100 that I was no longer able to chamber .357's in since I was shooting .38 wadcutters for the longest time.

I tried the soak, push and pull method but wouldn't break it loose.
A gunsmith recommended the Hoppe's tornado brush on a pistol cleaning rod cut in half and chucked on the end of a drill but the tornado brush was to narrow in the .357 caliber and did not work well, (Found out later it must have been packaged wrong at Hoppe's) ended up using an .40 caliber bronze brush, and it cleaned up real well...