Copper removal?

reynolds357

What are you using for copper removal in bore? The only thing I have found that really works fast is Montana Extreme, but I am tired of smelling it.

jpx2rk

Hoppe's #9 BR copper remover IF I got the name right. Was using Butch's Bore Shine but it just didn't get it done. I may continue to use BBS, but will definitely use the Hoppe's on a regular/periodic basis.

603Country

Boretech Eliminator. Get that. Nothing better exists.

Having said that, be sure you really want all the copper gone. Some barrels are better with some copper. Once I figured that out, I started doing a light cleaning with Shooter’s Choice (prefer it over Butch’s), and then going after copper when the light cleaning doesn’t bring back the degree of accuracy I expect.

Hoppes Benchrest isn't exactly a quick copper cleaner outer. My 243 Win. Copper fouls with Barnes bullets in short order, about 18 rounds is max then accuracy goes in the crapper. It takes a few hours to get it cleaned out with Hoppes BR. After the carbon is eliminated, a couple patches with Hoppes BR, let it soak for a spell, wipe out, repeat about 5 or 6 or 10 times before the dry patches come out white after the soak.

I have used Sweets, but it takes a lot of scrubbing and elbow grease ( I call it Sweats). Has a strong ammonia stink. So Hoppes BR is what I use.

ymmv

LineStretcher

Boretech Eliminator. Get that. Nothing better exists.

Having said that, be sure you really want all the copper gone. Some barrels are better with some copper. Once I figured that out, I started doing a light cleaning with Shooter’s Choice (prefer it over Butch’s), and then going after copper when the light cleaning doesn’t bring back the degree of accuracy I expect.
Yep, Bore Tech is the stuff to get. It's on Amazon. Also get their non reactive Jags or you'll be chasing false positives.

reynolds357

KG-12 will chelate and patch out every bit of copper in two 5-min patch cycles of wet/wait/dry/dry
Actually I have used KG12Big Bore. What is the difference in kg12 and kg12Big Bore? It took me a couple days of soak scrub cycles to get the rifles clean with the BigBore.

mehavey

It took me a couple days of soak scrub cycles to get the rifles clean
OOC, what were you using to determine if there was residual copper ?
(and did you use a powder solvent first ?)

reynolds357

OOC, what were you using to determine if there was residual copper ?
(and did you use a powder solvent first ?)
The instructions I had said nothing about using a powder solvent. Bore scope was how I identify residual Copper. It also plainly showed no carbon.

mehavey

1 pic is worth 1,000 words.
But two pics ?

300us2e.jpg

After normal clean w/ "conventional" solvents . . . . . . . . . . . . . then hit it w/ two KG-12 cycles.
( . . . .Significant copper fouling residual. . . .)

KG-12 (if/when needed), works best when carbon/powder is removed via KG-1.

My experience over many years mirrors this guys:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/11/tyler-kee/gear-review-kg-industries-solvents/

Last edited:

reynolds357

After normal clean w/ "conventional" solvents . . . . . . . . . . . . . then hit it w/ two KG-12 cycles.
( . . . .Significant copper fouling residual. . . .)
I will try kg12 again. I don't guess I understand the "after normal clean" part. My "normal clean" is not over until the copper is gone.

mehavey

My usual routine is a sloppy patch of KG-1 which when patched dry has removed 95-98% of all carbon.

IF there's then any hint of copper, then two sloppy KG-12 cycles (5-10min left wet)/dry-patched. Walk away.
Brown crud (not blue) on dry patch = chelated copper removed.

Granted it's a distributer's site, but the results shown mirror my own when I tried it using a McDonalds ketchup cup and a standard 375 Speer. The stuff just eats copper.
http://www.coretacsolutions.com/products_KG_KG12_TEST.htm
https://www.eabco.com/KG12Test.pdf

zeke

Another firm believer in KG-12. Basically it is instant. Am not letting it soak into the bore, and using it after removing powder fouling. The company used to be located bout 30 miles away.

WARNING-IT BE HAZARDOUS. Am always using fresh gloves and paper liners in pan outside the muzzle. Course am now using gloves when cleaning any firearm with any solvent.

RC20

And Bore Tech Eliminator not only works, its NON HAZ and Non Odor (which makes my wife very happy as the shop is attached to the house.

Not sure why anyone would use a haz material in this day and age when non haz is available.

std7mag

You just leave the copper in my bore, right wher it is!!!

Clean with Hoppes #9 to remove carbon.
Oil, put away till next time.