Copper in Muzzle Brake....

uncyboo

History...

I have an older Rem 700 that has been semi-customized to 30-338. I worked for a family that owned a pawn shop, auction company, car lot, antique store, furniture store, etc. Me and the pawn shop manager bought this rifle together when it came out of pawn. It also came with RCBS dies. This was in '03, maybe '04. My job ended me up out on the road for extended periods, and as my co-owner did not handload, the rifle just sat at his place until now. I have the rifle now and am about to start loading for it.

First order of business was a good cleaning. This rifle has not been touched at least since we bought it, and have no idea when the pawner cleaned it before it came to us. When I pulled the rifle out of the case I noticed the ports on the brake had what looked like oxidized copper in them. (this brake has 24 ports all angled forward) There was also the same blue oxidation inside the brake where the threads of the barrel ended, evenly dispersed all the way around. The bore at the muzzle showed alot of copper in the grooves that was already oxidized blue. Evidently there is alot of fouling in this rifle, which I am addressing now. It's soaking while I type this.

Anyway, the question is, is there some amount of copper that possibly vaporizes during the bullet's trip down the bore? If the bullet was striking the brake upon exit, I would think that there would just be a couple of ports that picked up the copper, but ALL ports had this oxidation in them.

Jimro

Yes, vaporized copper from the friction of the copper jacket with the bore.

Normal. Doesn't seem to affect accuracy in my experience.

Jimro

uncyboo

OK cool. This thing is NASTY. But it's cleaning up ok so far. Gonna take a while. Have no idea of the maintenance history, so I'll take as much out as I can. May have to break out the Outers. Not yet though.

uncyboo

Butch's Bore Shine.

I got most of it out with Hoppe's #9BR, Barnes CR 10, and JB paste. When I'm out of the Hoppe's, Butch's is next. It gets reccommended alot on many forums. Must be good stuff.

TheManHimself

Any muzzle device will collect some amount of copper residue. Wipe off what you can, don't worry about the rest; copper fouling on the brake won't affect accuracy at all. The flash suppressors on most of my ARs look like they have some kind of blue fungus infestation, each still performs as expected for the particular barrels on them.

uncyboo

I wasn't concerned about it affecting accuracy. I had just never seen that before. I have owned 2 other firearms with muzzle brakes and had never seen this before, but then mine get cleaned on a regular basis. When I saw all this blue crap in every port on the brake, my first thought was, "what's the bore gonna look like?" My "fears" were confirmed. Took the better part of Super Bowl Sunday to clean it out to respectable level.