Copper fouling+Flitz+bristle brush=good?

teumessian_fox

I bought a used 30 cal rifle that has some serious copper fouling. I think it's copper fouling because no matter how much oil I put in it, it just stays shiney. I've never seen rust do that. Rust gets darker with oil.

So anyway, I bought the Hoppes Ultra Cleaning Kit and although it ameliorated the fouling, it's still there.

I just happen to have a tube of Flitz. What about that? Can I put a generous helping of Flitz on my bristle brush and scrub the bore?

If yes, do I need to dispose of the brush?

Recommendations?

Ok, what color is the fouling? Shiny silver or shiny copper?

If it's shiny silver, it could just be the bore itself is polished a bit from firing a lot of rounds.

If it truly is copper fouling, you can buy a copper solvent that will disolve the copper with little to no scrubbing required...

Edit: Forgot to add that if it is copper and you use a copper solvent, then it will turn green as it's being disolved.

Scorch

Try one of the foaming bore cleaners, it will work wonders on an old rifle. Just keep it off of the wood.

PawPaw

+1 on the copper solvent.

Put some copper solvent on a patch and push it through the bore. Let is sit 10 or 15 minutes and follow with a clean patch. If it's copper, the new patch will come out green.

Then you'll know what you're dealing with.

OHW

+2 0n the copper solvent.

I used to use Hoppes #9 to do all my cleaning. I did a super job on my rifles before storing them. So many 25 year+ shooters have told me that Hoppes9 is all you need, I lost count.
So I find this Hoppes Elite copper solvent one day. I take it home and pull a couple of HECS patchs through these very clean rifles. Only to be disgusted at how many green colored patchs I get before they are truely clean of copper.

Now all guns get a copper solvent clening about every third range trip. For me Hoppes Elite Copper Solvent will always be in my bag, or I can't call the guns clean.