Cooper's The Art of the Rifle

Erik

I picked up a copy of Jeff Cooper's The Art of the Rifle yesterday. I highly recommend it! I am a Cooper fan to begin with, and as I expected, I am not disappointed. It is definitely worth adding to the collection.

Erik

Jeff Thomas

I enjoyed it as well. My favorite lesson out of the book was 'if you can get closer, get closer ... if you can get steadier, get steadier'.

I was fortunate to meet Col. Cooper (thank you, Rich), and I mentioned to him that, as an amateur, this was a 'revelation' to me. Previously, I had thought that a 'real' rifleman would / could shoot offhand, and that it was somehow 'cheating' to use a rest. He got a chuckle out of that.
wink.gif

Erik

That is my favorite lesson so far as well!

Mine has black and white pictures.

A friend of mine leafed through it for about five minutes. He stated that he had learned more in those five minutes than in countless jaw sessions with other "shooters."

Jack 99

I used my extra copy as a birthday present.

Good book. I think the best lesson out of it was (not an exact quote): "The idea that technology can supplant incompetence is upon us in all kinds of endeavors, including riflery."

Ivanhoe

When it first came out, I thought it was ridiculously overpriced for such a thin book. Well, I finally cracked and bought a copy. Absolutely worth it. Cooper is concise, clear, and honest. There are several points made that are "ugly truths" rarely mentioned in print.

Rosco Benson

I'll agree that it is a great book (the only kind Cooper writes) and well worth the price. If I were to quibble, I would point out that some of the B&W photos are a bit "contrasty" and do not illustrate their subject as well as they might. Also, I differ with Cooper on the proper management of the lever-action rifle. Cooper advises that the rifle be carried chamber-empty and that the lever be worked, thus chambering a round, as the piece is shouldered. I contend that so doing causes a lot of unnecessary, game-spooking noise and, if the shooter chooses not to shoot, it obliges him to a good bit of fiddle-farting with his rifle to return it to the chamber-empty carry state. I contend that lever-action rifles ought be carried with the chamber loaded and with the hammer in its safety notch (this is not an unsafe "half-cock" notch, but a true safety notch). Carried thus, the hammer is thumb-cocked while mounting the rifle.

Cooper is a dyed-in-the-wool bolt man...having cut his teeth on the Krag. On the two occasions I've been in his armory, I do not recall having seen a lever-action rifle.

Rosco

I'll throw my highest recommendation in for this book. It takes the mystery and hype oot of rifle work and demonstrates what is necessary to be a competent shot. Written in the finest Cooper tradition.
Rich

gunmart

i have taken several rifle classes over the years and can say that the art of the rifle reinforces everything i have learned and more.i had the chance to take the masters class rifle class at gunsite in february.it was word for word what was in the book and if you have the time i would suggest you go.if anyone would like to have photos and a article sent to them about the gunsite trip just email me and i will email you back.ed