Cooper on Handguns

AUG

Anyone know where I can get a copy of "Cooper on Handguns"?

I would purchase someone's copy if for sale.

I have checked everywhere and it is like trying to find a elephant in Nevada, it ain't happening. It is out of print so a used copy or "new old stock" appears to be the only options.

Thanks for the help.

Paul B.

Aug. I searched for years (since 1973) for a book called PRINCILES AND PRACTICES OF RELOADING AMMUNTION by Earl Naramore. Tried Amazon, no luck Tried barnes and Noble, and they had a source for it. They had several copies on hand, so I ordered the best one they had. By the time shipping and handling got through with me, it was very close to a $100 bill.
I doubt Coopers book will run that high, but give B&N a try.
JMHO. Every reloader should have a copy of Naramore's book. Granted, a lot of data is now seriously outdated, but the sections on pressure are worth their weight in gold.
Again, JMHO.
Paul B.

Matrix

I looked for this for a long time, then someone told me that it wasn't a book.
I heard that it was one of Guns and Ammo magazines "special editions", similar to Massad Ayoob's annual handgun special, a collection of Cooper's articles.
They suggested that I search old magazine archive collections.
I'd like to read it, although some of the handgun info may be out of date now.
Hope this helps

TABING

Yes, Cooper's book is a publication of Guns and Ammo, so old magazine archives or used magazine shops might be the best place to look for it.
I've got it stashed away somewhere, bought it when I was just getting into guns, looking back, it's not that earth shaking. You'll pick up much the same info and opinion on this forum in a few weeks reading.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
It says "Get a .45 cal 1911, and shoot it as much as you can."
:D

------------------
"I like the word 'indolence.' It makes my laziness seem classy." -Bern Williams

pluspinc

It says "Get a .45 cal 1911, and shoot it as much as you can."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Pristine observation, but that was Cooper's gun rag downfall. He didn't fall into step with the high capacity 9mm double action crowd and thus wasn't very marketable. The foundation of his observations of hardware are indeed flawless for the most part. Cooper however thought we would all obtain his level of expertise, which isn't very realistic logic. But what Cooper failed to do was address modern street fighting and attempted to suggest military logic would suffice. He sort of lost the impact of the drug/gang culture that changed a lot of the rules of the road. But if you read ANYTHING by him you will learn something if we are smart enough to select those things that are applicable to each of us. Today (he was upset and mentioned this in a recent column)
he pushes Scout rifles, and discusses hunting and politics far more than self-defense. I feel he has been pressured by the HUT HUT HUT cammie wearing types to step aside for more Rambo like efforts.
Coop is indeed of the "old school" but that school had a hell of a foundation. It is now up to us to put a house on it that we can LIVE in. No Bill Gates mansion, but a simple dwelling.
Can you imagine a lunch with Cooper, Jordan, Skelton, P.O. Ackley, and Elmer Kieth? I got one (Jordan) and left walking on air.

Sport

AUG,

The others are correct. It's a magazine
format publication.
I have a copy around here somewhere.
If you would like to borrow it, e-mail
me.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
pluspinc - sounds like you dont really know all that much about The Guru.
Cooper was right on the money then - and this past couple years has prooved him right still.
After the Bank of America robery in California - Police all over the country - FBI included began switching to the .45 - the Good Old Slab Sides. And this had NOTHING to do with magazine capacity as LEOs dont suffer the Ban as Joe Regular does.

I aint saying Jeff Cooper walks on water or anything - but his Modern Method saved my soul on more than one occasion.
I am always looking for improvements - better methods and such - but Jeff pretty much nailed it on the head way back then.

Sport

I've read that Colonel Cooper is as
much a rifleman as he is a handgunner.
It may have been in his daughter's
biography of the Colonel.

It does appear than since the great
Bren ten fiasco that Colonel Cooper's
interest shifted to writing about and
developing the scout rifle concept.

Of course, not to the exclusion of all
else, but his focus clearly shifted.

I remember in the eighties when the Bren
Ten was being highly promoted in the gun
magazines, Chuck taylor did a review in
the original S.W.A.T magazine. Back then
Taylor WAS S.W.A.T magazine. His article
was, to say the least. critical of the
gun. Within a half dozen issues or less,
Taylor no longer wrote for that
publication. In fact, his writing career
appeared to be on the skids for some time
thereafter. I took that as an indication
of the Colonel's clout in gun circles.

RickB

I bought a copy of it when it came out in '74 (?); still have it, still read it. One of the things that separates the "old school" of gun writers like Cooper, Keith, Jordan, Askins, et. al, from the modern ones is that the old-timers generally wrote from personal experience. While that may limit their perspective only to what happened to them, I take much more interest in the three times Cooper had to shoot for truth than the thousand rounds that some newbie shot into jello. What Cooper wrote in the '70's seemed more dated ten years ago than it does now; I still refer to it often. Our local library has a hardbound copy of it! Get one if you can. USPSA or IDPA should see about getting it reprinted. Maybe the old guy could even write a new forward, or something.

AUTiger73

I've got a copy of "Cooper on Handguns" in my large archive of gun magazines and books. I believe it was published by Petersen Publishing Company (G&A) sometime around 1972-73(?) and about a year later I purchased a new Series 70 Combat Commander 45 in satin nickel finish. Many years following that, I purchased a S&W Model 25-2 - .45ACP revolver based on favorable comments he made in his book. I still have these guns and still have that copy of "Cooper on Handguns" stored away somewhere.

As I recall, he lived, breathed, and preached the .45 ACP all the way through this book, even though he discussed other guns and calibers. I even remember it has mostly a red paper cover. This book had a major influence on my thinking about handguns.

[This message has been edited by AUTiger73 (edited March 24, 2000).]

kevlar4me

Your observation about Mr. Cooper and Chuck Taylor is most correct. Mr. Darrell at Plus P was gracious enough to lend me his bound collection of SWAT magazine. Mr. Taylor was editor in the early days and was Mr. Darrell's editor for numerous articles Darrell authored.
Taylor's article was very critical, but in most proper ways I viewed. Mr. Cooper does not like any critics.
I find his montly communication interesting, but also lacking the self-defense information I was seeking. I find the magazines of the 1980's most interesting. Amazing how expedited some were in switching loyalties to various guns and calibers. Mr. Cooper was trampled in the rush to 9mm high capacity. He has yet to recover which is a shame in my opinion. Cheers!!

Sport-
Cooper was also quite critical of the Bren. It demonstrated poor execution of a great concept. Cooper's main contribution was design of the bullet....which is much to his credit. The 10mm, while a phenomenal defense round in itself, became the father of the ubiquitous 40S&W.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited March 25, 2000).]

Rosco Benson

Regarding the negative review of the Bren X by Chuck Taylor in SWAT magazine; The printing of this article does seem to have been the end of Taylor's association with SWAT (which he was damn near writing in its entirety). There were a few more Taylor articles "in the pipe" and they appeared in subsequent issues, but the Bren X review was it.

Was this because Cooper (or Dornaus & Dixon) brought pressure to bear? Could be, but I doubt it. A reliable source told me that the pistol Taylor reviewed had NO magazine. Hmmmm...griping about the function of a pistol for which one has no magazine and that pistol being the "brainchild" of a former employer with which one has recently parted company on a less-than-friendly basis. You do the math.

Rosco

P.S. - I went to my archives and pulled the issue of SWAT in question (Dec 1984) to verify my recollection and, sure enough, none of the pictures in the Bren X article show the pistol with a magazine inserted. In spite of this, there was a posed "action" shot captioned "Found functional reliability of test gun was not as hoped...". I've been told that this was the final straw for editor/publisher Everett Moore and he cut Taylor loose at that point. A pity, if true, as the Bren X had morphed from the improved CZ-75 of Cooper's concept to the gigantic, clunky **** that it was. It deserved to be panned, but carping about the the function of a magazine-less pistol shoots one's credibility.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited March 25, 2000).]

AUG

Thanks for the help guys.

I think Col. Cooper is one of the best writers in the world and I think his stance on pistols is more in line with modern times than anyone else I have read.

Sport-I will take you up on your offer to borrow your copy but first I will see if I can get a copy from Peterson to save you the trouble if possible.

Mike H

Cooper still writes a column for Guns and Ammo amongst others.

His writing style now reads, "We note with interest etc etc" which I believe is the way that royalty the world over refer to themselves (in the third person). He may have been preaching the Gospel for a long time now (and getting it right), but I can't help but wonder if all this hero worship has gone to his head, nowadays he sounds like he's a few grains short of a full load.

Mike H

Erik

The "we" aspect seems to denote the frequent contributions of "family" members and other knowledgeable individuals. I enjoy Col. Cooper's writing, the more so because he incorporates the experiences, anecdotes, and opinions of others. Some day I'll have to make the trip down his way.

Erik

juliet charley

Mike H

We is first person plural not third person (if you are going to criticize, get it right). The style is sometimes referred to as the "imperial we." Frankly, I have no trouble with Cooper using it--I think he has earned. Also, I believe Elmer Keith wrote in the first person plural on more than one occassion so it might be a case of "imitation being the sincerest form of flattery."

James K

Member In Memoriam
Army colonels have two habits not always appreciated in civilian life.

1. Their opinion is right; there are no arguments.

2. An order or even a suggestion is to be obeyed. Now!

Too many civilians didn't agree and not enough obeyed the order to buy the colonel's current favorite firearm.

Sorry, Colonel. 'Taint the army.

Jim