Cooking Goose

indy245

Going to shoot me some Canada Geese this year.

Has anyone tried using a turkey deep fryer? Due to the leanness of the meat I would think that it would be great to cook one in oil, add some injected marinade and it would turn out great.

Any thoughts?

Indy.

zxcvbob

Leanness of the meat? Is wild goose that much leaner than farm-raised? (I doubt it.) Goose is almost nothing but fat.

bufordtjustice

I've only done turkeys in a fryer so no experience there. I would think that the goose would benefit from a longer marinade time and slow cooking for several hours.

B. Lahey

Slow cooking is my only experience with goose. It's awesome because you can cook taters with it, and taters slow cooked in the goose-grease drippings are the greatest thing ever.

tyrajam

I am not a fan of goose cooked most ways. Trust me, I have cooked them just about every way possible, and was never very pleased with the outcome. Now, I make jerkey out of all of my waterfowl and there is nothing better. Canadas are very fatty, here's what I do with them:

Duck Jerky
4 ducks
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1 cup red wine l 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke
2 tablespoons freshly ground peppercorns
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons rosemary
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Mix all marinade ingredients in a noncorrosive dish or plastic bag. Fillet the duck breast meat, then partially freeze or refreeze it; this makes the meat easy to slice. Carefully remove as much tendon and fat as possible. Slice 1/4-inch strips along the grain. Marinate them overnight. To prepare the jerky, use one of the following three methods. (Regardless of which you choose, check the jerky often. Cooking times will vary widely depending on the type of cooking equipment, thickness of jerky strips, and how close the meat is to the heat source.)

Smoker: Use the lowest heat setting possible for 3 to 7 hours.

Dehydrator: Dehydrate for 8 to 10 hours.

Oven: Spray the oven rack with cooking spray and line the bottom of the oven with aluminum foil. Drape the meat strips on the oven racks. Prop the oven door open 2 inches with a toothpick or short pencil. Cook at 150 to 170 degrees for 4 to 7 hours. When done, each strip should bend but not break. Store in your refrigerator or freezer.

Smokey Joe

Fat??????

Tyrajam--
Canadas are very fatty
You sure must be getting different Canada geese from the ones I get! Mine have to be basted when roasting to keep them from drying out.

Skillfully done (ask my wife) roast Canada goose is DEE-moist, tender, & scrumtious, eat all you're served, beg for more, no leftovers-LICIOUS! She also makes a killer goose soup.

I'll give you that domesticated geese are quite fatty, but wild ones? Never, IMX.

And of course, when you take it out of the oven, and it's done, you tell the assembled multitude, "Well, my goose is cooked."

Last edited:

Bowhunter57

Indy245,
If you fillet the breast meat off of the goose, soak them in milk over night and put them in a crock pot with potatos, carrots and onion....for 2 hours on high and 6 to 7 hours on low.
Goose breasts, cooked slow, taste like beef and is very tender. :cool: The "key" and/or secret is keeping the meat moist. ;)

Another method is to cut the goose breast meat into 1" cubes, wrap them with a bacon strip and put a toothpick through them to hold it together. Get your BBQ grill real hot, turn it down on low just before putting the meat chunks on the grill. Keep turning them with tongs, allowing the bacon to cook until it's crispy....about 2 to 3 minutes (this time may vary with other grills).
The goose meat chunks, if cooked properly, should taste like cube steak. :)
* There's a fine line in which the cubed meat should come off of the grill. Too little time and they're not done and may have some "pink" in the middle.
* Too much time and you can side arm them through a plate glass window. :barf:

Anyone that's told me that duck or goose tasted bland, greasy or like it was cooked in a mud puddle, didn't skin the bird. The skin holds the fat next to the meat and the fat has all the "stuff" in it that waterfowl sift through in a pond, lake, etc. and this is what tants the meat.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

crowbeaner

My honkers go into the stir fry skillet after breasting, boning, and cut up. Use good olive oil and fresh veggies; you'll only have to saute them lightly and toss around a bit. Brown or dirty rice or maybe even rice pilaf and you have good eats. The local geese here are a bit more fatty than their Canadian neighbors because they don't fly south unless they absolutely have to. Some just find open water and stay all year. If the geese are migratory, they will be leaner fare. ANY wild goose beats the pampered tame geese in the local supermarket freezer. It's almost time to hammer the locals here.

Scorch

What's your marinade recipe?
Oh, sure! You want all my secrets now! OK, here you go:
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp salt
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sherry
2 Tbsp onion powder
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1/2 Tbsp ginger

Marinade 24-48 hours. Smoke at 220 degrees for 2-3 hrs. Smoke using apple wood.
Slice. Eat. Do not harm others when they reach for some.

sureshots

Pine Board

The old Pine Board Receipe works great for me with Goose. I cook them just like I would Carp. I'm just kidding my Wife Bakes them(slow) with veggies they are good.

dragonfire

This is very strange because I went out last night on a guided hunt my Dad won in an auction.Got six of them geese,and was wondering how to cook them.When the guys breasted them there was zero fat on the migratory ones but one or two of the local birds had some fat on them.Thanks for the recipes.

Fat White Boy

Leave the bird whole, Stuff it with diced apples and onions, salt and pepper the outside. Put it in a roasting bag at 375 degrees for 90 minutes...Good stuff...