Convince me to buy a WASR

EdInk

Convince me to buy a WASR over an Arsenal. I know they are at opposite ends of the spectrum BUT try for my wallet's sake.

5.56RifleGuy

I have shot thousands of rounds out of mine and had no issues what so ever. Accuracy is what should be expected, there is no trigger slap, the sights are not canted, and the mag well is cut properly. I shoot crappy brown bear out of it also and it works fine.

My only complaints would be that the fit and finish arent that great, but I didnt really expect it to be.

chris in va

Why not just buy a Saiga and build it to your liking? Cheaper than an Arsenal and it will be a brand new gun.

Just for the heck of it today I shot at a hillside target 375 yards away. To my surprise it kept every one of the rounds within a man sized area and I didn't even have to use holdover with the sights. It's more accurate than my Garand, believe it or not.

raftman

If you get a good one, there's really not much of anything wrong with the WASR. I haven't had mine for very long (it's a 10/63), but thus far it's been totally reliable. It doesn't have the canted sight or wobbly mag. Came with two mags, I also bought another steel surplus one, and new production Bulgarian polymer magazine and they all fit tight and feed flawlessly. Yeah, there's some rough edges on the inside of the WASR, and the action isn't as smooth as it could be, but the bottom line is that it works and seems to put bullets where intended. With proper oiling, and a little use, things do seem to smooth out a little too.

5.56RifleGuy

Almost forgot, you can buy tons of mags for real cheap. The 10 dollar surplus steel ones Aim has work great. Ive got a lot of em.

briang2ad

Saiga conversion is likely a tad bit harder than explained on the internet for a first time go at it. Especially the trigger guard and bullet guide.

One already converted is a premium, and as you can see, sold out. $700 is awful close to AR15 country - which is accurate, easy to shoot, good sights, nice finish, etc. etc.

A WASR does fulfill a niche. And... if you look at a show, likely $400-450 OTD - that is a far cry from about $740 OTD with an Arsenal

And again, you can NAIL a nice M4 (S&W, STAG, etc.) for $100 more OTD.

Now, IF/WHEN Arsenal gets off the horse and gets to the $550 range - then it would be worth it. But... not likely anytime soon.

Katophract

I've had my WASR for about 2 years but have done several training courses with it. Never had a problem. As long as you can inspect it before you buy it, you shouldn't have a problem. Also, make sure it has the Tapco trigger.

rugerdude

Inspect before you buy. That said, the newer ones seem to be over the canted sight tower/ gas block problems and personally, I love mine. I bought mine used a couple years ago simply because it was already set up how I wanted (Black furniture, SAW grip and AK-74 muzzle brake) for $350. The finish is crappy, but with a little time and extra money you can paint it whatever color you like or duracoat it.

You can pay double for an Arsenal, but I don't see it being double the gun that a WASR is. Better for sure, but hey, it's an AK.

Since I've been in the Marines, I've learned that the condition of the gun's finish is really not all that important anyway.

Evil Monkey

I have a wasr. I get lots of stove pipe jams (FTE's). That's the nature of anything that comes from century arms.

And no, you can't "inspect them". Having a canted sight is obvious but finding something at the gun shop that can affect the function of the rifle is not always possible until you buy and shoot it.

Do yourself a favor and buy quality from the start.

Ironfist 7.62

I have a Century Arms GP1975 AK. It doesn't cost that much more than a WASR and is a step above in quality. Had mine over 4 mos now and still have yet to experience any problems.

AK103K

I have an early WASR10, one of the ones that looks like the SAR1 it replaced due to the import restrictions. Mine has been fine, and shoots as good or better than others I've had. Most AK's shoot pretty much the same with ammo they like, regardless of what the gun costs. My SAR shoots pretty much the same as my Krebs converted Saiga AK103K, and it even has some of the dreaded canted sights.

Speaking of canted sights, I have yet to see a WASR thats had them. I believe thats just a carry over rumor from the SAR's, which did have them pretty early on, and some were really bad too. Most of the later SAR's I've seen, also seemed to have addressed the cant issue.

Ammo wise, I've always had the best luck with the old Barnaul (which I believe is now being sold under the Brown and Silver Bear labels. The 125 grain SP's being the best, as far as consistency and accuracy goes, and that been from all my AK's. Wolf has always seemed to be hit or miss. I do have a couple of cases of the same lot of Wolf 154 grain SP's that do shoot very well though.

I think you'll be fine with the WASR. You'll probably srtill end up with the Arsenal, and a few others at a later date, as the AK's tend to be pretty addictive once you get one. Once you pop an Ultimak/Aimpoint combo on one, you'll really be hooked. :)

UniversalFrost

i had an early GP wasr 10.

was one of the few that every thing was straight and staked properly (common issue is crooked sights and poorly put together on anything from CAI or other companies run by monkeys). good shooter, but was not the norm for WASR's.

If I were you I, save your pennies and get a good arsenal or other well built AK. also look at the VZ58's ... most are put together well.

JOE

Quentin2

I also have an older one, an early WASR-10/63 that came with a muzzle nut, no triangle on the trunion and filed down bayonet lug. Had it nearly 5 years and it eats anything I've fed it including corrosive surplus from 1965-71. I have 12 comblock magazines that I hand picked at gun shows and all lock in and function reliabily. Sights are pretty straight, no trouble zeroing. Other than normal maintenance all I've done to it is hacksawed the muzzle nut weld then screwed on a flash hider - and sanded/tung oiled the wood.

I have an AR now but still take the WASR out often. Everybody gets a kick out of shooting it. I've had many chances to sell it but just can't bring myself to because when a gun proves itself to me I hang on to it.

I think you'll be satisfied with a WASR. They're cheap, they work and nothing breaks. Pretty hard to argue with that.

AK103K

(common issue is crooked sights and poorly put together on anything from CAI or other companies run by monkeys). good shooter, but was not the norm for WASR's.
Are you sure youre not confusing them with the early SAR's?

I've seen and shot a quite number of both WASR's and SAR's, and the earlier SAR's were the only ones I ever saw with the canted sights. I dont ever remember a WASR that had trigger slap either. The SAR's on the other hand, were a different story.

I sometimes have to wonder if people are not confusing the two, since the early WASR's look identical to the SAR's. If I laid mine together, you could not tell them apart, or which was which, unless you looked closely at them, and what was "scrawled" on them.

I also believe if you check, the SAR's and WASR's were not assembled by CAI. Compliance modified, yes, assembled, no. Its one of the reasons I think they, and the SAR's, generally shot better than the guns assembled here, or at least early on. Both my SAR and WASR easily out shot my Arsenal/Gloabal Trades SSR-85C, which while my prettiest AK by far, was also the least accurate AK I've ever owned.

essohbe

I will skip echoing what everyone else has already posted and just give you my experience:

I have a WASR10 GP-63. It has given me 0 problems since I've had it. As I understand, these makes are the better of the WASR bunch and I can see why. Chrome barrel and straight frontsight that isn't canted. Magwells are also milled out for hi-cap magazines.

As accurate as I need it to be, I have a cage-syle barke.

I would say look for one of these, and be able to inspect it yourself before purchase.

EdInk

Checkout the WASR. I think I'll save up for the Arsenal. The WASR looked okay but I think I'll be happier if I just get what I really wanted in the first place.