Convicted? Need a Gun? No Problem

papercut

Story location: http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,56719,00.html

Convicted? Need a Gun? No Problem

By Lia Steakley
02:00 AM Dec. 10, 2002 PT

Each week Joe McBride's Austin, Texas, gun shop performs some 400 instant background checks on prospective gun buyers, but McBride can't say for sure if the customers walking out the door with a new firearm are law abiding.

Since the creation of the National Instant Criminal Background Check, or NICS, administered by the FBI to screen firearm sales, 10,000 people forbidden from owning guns have obtained them despite FBI screenings, according to the Bureau of Alcohol and Firearms.

The poor quality of criminal records maintained by states is the main reason the NICS system fails to identify individuals prohibited from acquiring guns, said Jim Kessler, policy director of the Americans for Gun Safety foundation.

Background checks for potential firearm owners have been required since 1994 under the Brady Act, which forbids felons, drug addicts, spousal abusers, illegal aliens and fugitives from obtaining a gun. Prior to the creation of the NICS, background checks were done manually and took more than a week to complete.

Through an electronic collection of records from the FBI; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms; and state and local agencies, the NICS reduced the duration of these checks to the amount of time it takes Starbucks to verify your VISA card.

Federal agents, gun control advocates and representatives of Congress agree the problem lies in the states' hands.

States are not obligated to automate felony conviction, domestic violence and mental health records or to transmit those files to the NICS database.

With 1,142 cases, Texas ranks first among states where guns have been sold to people prohibited from purchasing firearms. The Lone Star State is followed by Alabama, Ohio, Arkansas and Louisiana. All told, these five states sell 35 percent of the guns acquired by unlawful citizens, according to Americans for Gun Safety.

State officials say it is up to their legislatures to decide if the current system needs fixing.

"Pre-sale firearms checks are performed directly with the FBI using the NICS rather than through a state program that interfaces with the FBI," said David Gavin, assistant chief of administration for the Texas State Patrol. "Such a program would require legislative authority to be established, hire personnel and charge fees. The Texas legislature has not created such a program."

However, federal officials say the states must ensure all criminal documents are included in the NICS.

"Since these are state records, each state is responsible for automating them," said Philip Caramia, senior analyst for the General Accounting Office.

Since 1995 the federal government has provided state governments with $3.5 million to convert paper files to an electronic format so they can be uploaded to the NICS.

But even with federal financing, only 25 states have more than 60 percent of their records automated, according to the Americans for Gun Safety Foundation.

The NICS database should be able to access the 64 million felony, domestic abuse, immigration and arrest warrant documents to process background checks. However, 7 million are not electronically accessible because they are manual records. An additional 16 million are housed in state databases, which are not instantly available during federal checks, said Caramia.

"If the records are not in a national system, then a person can still buy a gun. Because the records are housed only in the state's database, then the buyer can travel outside of the state to purchase a gun," said Lisa Vincent, assistant operations manager for NICS.

Legislation aimed at plugging holes in the electronic database used by the FBI to prevent illegal gun purchases recently stalled in the House.

Supported by the National Rifle Association and penned by Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), the Our Lady of Peace Act directed the Justice Department to collaborate with states to develop protocols for electronically transmitting criminal records to the NICS.

In addition, the measure allocated $250 million to underwrite the cost of establishing or upgrading states' record-keeping technology.

"The reason the bill didn't pass the Senate had a lot to do with November's elections and the threat of terrorism," said Cecelia Prewett, McCarthy communications director. "The Senate got bogged down passing terrorism legislation. It was a short amount of time to get a lot in."

McCarthy plans to resurrect the Our Lady of Peace Act when congress convenes in January, Prewett said.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Quite interesting, my state (Alabama) ranks
2nd nationally.:eek: :(

Use to be a time when we ranked #1- only in college
football, crime, and unemployment.;) :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

blades67

Seems like it would be easier to make murder, agg. assault, domestic abuse and terrorism illegal so that...oh, wait...never mind, the blissninnies won't ever get it.:rolleyes: :barf:

Dannyboy

I'd just like to say that McBride's is the best gun store I have ever been to. The best selection I have ever seen.

CZ Gunner

Move over Ala Dan, Louisiana isn't far behind!

What surprises me is that Ohio (the only 'Northern' state on the list) is on it. Of course, with all the "snow birds" from Ohio that winter in Florida, it makes a certain amount sense. :rolleyes:

Gunner

Sam Adams

The whole concept of the NICS check is BS, for 3 very good reasons:

1) Private sales

2) Anyone can legally buy and own pre-1899 firearms, because they are not considered to be "firearms" under the 1968 GCA. Any number of websites sell these arms, many of which only cost a few hundred bucks, and all you need to do is sign a statement saying that you aren't a convicted felon.

And the most important reason:

3) CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY THE LAW!!!!

Did any of the f'ing morons that put it into place OR WHO CURRENTLY BACK THIS SYSTEM ever hear of theft? I mean, there are 80 million homes with guns, and at least hundreds of thousands of B&Es every year. How about bribery of a person in position to buy a gun legally? How about blackmail? How about a wife or girlfriend without a record buying a gun and, surprise, surprise, surprise, Swino the Felon uses the gun to rob the nearest Piggly Wiggly?

The whole of gun control laws serves one purpose, and one purpose only: to limit the ability of law-abiding citizens to acquire guns anonymously. The criminals have ALWAYS done it this way, and ALWAYS will. AND THE F'ING GUN CONTROLLERS KNOW IT! The only ones that don't, who refuse to acknowledge what is going on, are total morons. And, YES, that includes a sizable portion of those who own guns.

GUN CONTROL ISN'T ABOUT GUNS - ITS ABOUT CONTROL!!!

End of Rant

KSFreeman

So, if they know that these purchasers are prohibited from purchasing modern firearms, then where's the U.S. Attorney in Tejas? Playing golf? At a square dance? Getting his pointy, little elf boots polished?

These cases are slam dunks--call agent, drop paper, 20 minute closing argument. Easy one dayers.

Who would have thought--pass a bunch of laws, then not enforce them.:rolleyes:

twoblink

CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY THE LAW!!!!
<sarcasm>
Sam, I must have missed the memo on that one.. You mean passing more laws won't help because the laws aren't being obeyed by the criminals?? You know, there should be a law about not obeying the law...

</sarcasm>

iso1

10,000 people forbidden from owning guns have obtained them despite FBI screenings, according to the Bureau of Alcohol and Firearms.

First, I thought it was Alcohol, TOBACCO, and Firearms.

Second, out of 10,000, how many were false hits?

Third, how many of those 10, 000 "prohibited" persons were actually arrested?

BATF, FBI, and all those anti-gunners are a joke...a very bad one.

bbrins

I wonder how many out of those 10,000 people actually had criminal intent, or even knew that they had done anything in the past that was bad enough to warrant them losing their 2nd Amendment rights.

It doesn't look like they even bothered to compare the 10,000 with the millions of total background checks nationwide since 1994.

Sam Adams

Twoblink,

"You know, there should be a law about not obeying the law..."

The stupid prix should just pass laws against murder, rape, robbery, terrorism, etc. That'd do the trick, wouldn't it? :rolleyes: I mean, for thousands of years of human history, nobody thought to actually pass a law to rid the world of crime - we had to wait for the Einstein-class geniuses of the present day lieberal elite :barf: to be hatched and raised until SOMEONE could finally figure out how to solve every problem in the world. :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

More seriously, what really bothers me is not that the antis propose this nonsense (though this never exactly makes my day any brighter), but that so many of the sheople actually believe that the antis are sincere and that their proposals actually have a snowball's chance in Hell of reducing crime. They are just so f'ing stupid that it makes me have to wrap my head in duct tape just to keep it from exploding.:eek:

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
<sarcasm> Obviously, if criminals don't obey the law, we need more laws to infringe the rights of the law-abiding to make up the difference. </sarcasm>