Converting PX4 mag to higher capacity?

OnTheFly

I am trying to find 17 round MDS magazines for my Beretta PX4 in 9mm. However, all I can find is the 10 and 15 round mags. All the 17s are "Out of Stock". Here is the questions...

If I buy the 15 round mag, is there any physical difference to the magazine other than the follower and spring? I'm wondering if I could buy the 15 round and then convert it. Is this impossible or would it end up being too expensive?

Fly

theberettaman

The slots formed in the sides of the magazine determines the number of rounds you can get in them.Just changing the follower wouldn't do you any good.The next thing you could do is get the +3 baseplates.
Do you just have to have MDS? Beretta 17rd factory mags are everywhere.

PX4Rookie

I was under the assumption that the high capacity mags for the 9mm were 20rds. I have a .40 and my high cap mags are 17rds and the stock come with 14. I bought my 17rds at the local gun show and its a lot cheaper than what I found online.

I believe I paid a little over $20 for each mag and was told I overpaid.

OnTheFly

theberettaman said:
The slots formed in the sides of the magazine determines the number of rounds you can get in them...Do you just have to have MDS? Beretta 17rd factory mags are everywhere.
Thanks for the info. I haven't looked at a 10 or 15 round mag next to my 17s, so I wasn't sure what limited the round count. I taller follower would do it, but then I imagine the anti-gunners wouldn't accept that as a true lower capacity mag. I only prefer MDS because of the cost. Apparently I'm not the only low budget shooter because higher cap MDS mags are sold out everywhere.

JohnKSa said:
Order them online.
That's where I have been looking.

PX4Rookie said:
I was under the assumption that the high capacity mags for the 9mm were 20rds.
That is true, but ultimately I'm looking for mags for CC and I'm concerned that the mag extension might print.

Fly

txbirddog

I told my wife I was scheduling a mid-life crisis. It was either a Harley or guns. Secretly, I've already decided on guns. :)

Bang... :D Bang...:D Bang... :D

Tell her the crisis is gettin' worse and get the HD now. ;);):cool:

techlaw

Thank you so much for posting that.. I've been looking for 17 rd mags for a couple months now, but like OnTheFly said, everyone was out of stock.