converting Mossberg 500 8-Shot

Rob96

I have a Mossberg 500 Cruiser 8- shot. I would like to switch it to 6-shot so I can use it for hunting with a change of the barrel. Where can I find the needed items to make the change?

Blindstitch

You can get a butt stock from Numrich for $20 but I think the big problem you're going to face is the cost of the barrel and the fact that you have an 8 shot instead of the 6.

So you need the stock, magazine tube, barrel and maybe even the forend and parts that slide under it.

If the price gets anywhere near the $250 mark I would just buy a new field gun or a used one.

Looking at the mossberg website it says it's cylinder bore but is there a screw out choke? If it had a screw out choke I would just put a butt stock on it and a dowel rod plug limiting to 3 shells and run with it.

What animals do you plan to hunt?

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac.../Shotguns-37443/500-41910/PartsList-34118.htm

I am not sure, so check with someone that knows, but I don't believe you need to change anything other than the magazine tube. On a Mossberg, isn't it a screw in? The caveat being that I understand the mag is thin walled and can be pretty easily damaged, which means you don't want to be swapping it from one configuration to the other too often.

A better solution might be to get a used 5 shot capacity (what you call a 6) barrel and have a gun smith move the locking lug toward the muzzle so it will fit on your 7 shot (you call it 8) capacity. Than you can swap barrels without worrying about damaging the tube.

Before buying any parts to do either, check that the method you choose works and figure the cost. Buying another gun may be the best alternative. (Or sell the persuader and get regular Mossberg combo with a hunting and security barrel.)

Last edited:
Didn't Mossberg make a hunting barrel for the 8-shot at one time?

I thought that they did and perhaps they were marketed by Maverick 88, but I can't find anything on it. It used to list barrels by magazine capacity. I think the OP should call Mossberg as they may still have some barrels that aren't listed anywhere.

hartcreek

All you need is a stock and a dowel rod. You do not need to change the magazine tube you just need a longer dowel rod which you can get at a hardware store and cut to length.

Rob96

I'm going to have my barrel threaded for chokes. So basically I will have the same as what they calk the I "Tactical Turkey".

Grant D

I'd have to argue that the dowl rod as being the cheapest.

I have a Remington 1100 that I bought used, for skeet shooting, and wanted to put an extension on, so I could load eight.

When I opened up the tube, a piece of..... wait for it... tree branch fell out!
It had worked fine, and I still have the branch in my gun safe. lol:D

I don't think the op's concern is with limiting his gun's capacity to 3 in order to comply with hunting law, but he wants to be able to utilize chokes to tighten his pattern and/or been able to mount specialized barrels such as a rifled barrel. I don't know if Mossberg makes a cantileverd barrel to take a scope. Anyways, his decision to just have his barrel threaded for chokes sounds like a reasonable choice. Even for security use, I believe some agencies want a choke tighter than open cylinder.

Rob96

Yep.......originally thought I'd have to change the tube to get a barrel for hunting then it dawned on me to get the current barrel threaded for chokes.

natman

Lots of options, let's see if we can find any that make sense:

Thread the barrel for chokes: Not too hard to do, but you'll still have a 20" barrel with a long magazine. Fine for turkeys, oddly balanced for any sort of wingshooting.

Swap for a 6 shot mag / 28" barrel: Possible, you'll need a strap wrench to unscrew the magazine tube. You'll need a short mag and a longer barrel, but you should have no problem finding someone who wants the old parts.

Personally, I think I'd just sell the Cruiser as is and buy a 500 set up for hunting.

T. O'Heir

If you're thinking migratory bird hunting you'll have to plug it to 3 in the gun, only. International Treaty.
As I recall, the 8 shot M500 has the mag tube cap in the wrong place for any other barrel to fit. You're only option is a dowel. Regular M500's are 5 shot tubes, 6 total, too. Otherwise contact Mossberg.

natman

Wing shooting is not a concern. I only need it for turkey and close in predator.

In that case get it threaded for chokes, put in a long dowel and go hunting.

Mossberg did make a 28" barrel for the long magazine at one time but I don't know if it's still available.

It isn't available. Mossberg says they are out and don't know when they will have more in stock. Some sites show it as discontinued. I looked on a couple of used barrel sites and they have none. I wouldn't hold my breath for a new production run. You may want to look at this old TFL thread.

I apologize beforehand for not having a constructive reply......as far as the OP is concerned ........

but holy crap, I would so much use this as an excuse to buy another gun, its not funny.:D

Rob96

"but holy crap, I would so much use this as an excuse to buy another gun, its not funny."

I fully agree with that but I am also looking at two bolt guns that I want.;)