Converting BHP to .357 SiG

9mmHP

I love my High Powers, but currently have a hot nut for the .357 SiG cartridge. I have a .40 S&W BHP and am thinking of buying EKF Fire Dragon barrels in .357 SiG and 9mm so I can shoot .357 SiG and 9mm +P+ rounds out of the beefier BHP .40 S&W platform. Has anyone tried this? Any problems to report as far as feed or function go? I don't want to spend a few hundreds of dollars making a good BHP into a jam-a-matic.

TNFrank

Making a 40 S&W into a .357 Sig is pretty much as easy as a barrel swap, mags and extractors/ejectors are the same since both have the same size ctg. head. Going from 40 S&W or .357 Sig to 9x19mm would be a totally different story since the case head is a different size so you'd need a new slide as well as a barrel. Personally, I like the .357 Sig a lot more then the 40 "short n' weak" any day of the week. ;)

P.S.
If anything the .357 Sig should function and feed even better then the 40 since it's a bottle necked round.

JohnKSa

Administrator
In some cases, a .40S&W to 9mm conversion will work with only a barrel swap, it depends on the design of the gun and I am not familiar enough with the BHP to say one way or the other. I know that Glocks can be converted from 40 to 9 with only a barrel swap. Usually the maker of the conversion barrel includes a caveat in this case that extraction may not be 100%, but typically they work quite well. I would NEVER consider one for self-defense though.

9mmHP

I would forego the 9mm then since I already have a slew of 9mm models, the .40S&W model is just better able to handle +P+ abuse. Has anyone actually tried it and have good or bad results to report? I'm looking at the EFK barrels as Bar-Sto doesn't appear to stock the .357 SiG conversion currently.

9mmHP

Well, that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I may have to do the unthinlable and buy a P226 instead of sticking to my High-Powers.

mballai

Frankly I'd wait until the feeling passes. BHPs probably won't hold up. In fact most 357 SIGs don't hold up under heavy use. You might get 25,000 rounds through a well-made gun at best. It's really too bad because the cartridge is a very accurate and potent one. I've fired one of the fancy SIG Sport models and it was outstanding. If you have the money that might be an answer.