Converting a Rem .270 to a .300 WinMag

SHIVAN

I have a .270 ADL sitting around and was thinking that I could convert it over to a 1000yd gun. I think I would need to go to a standard long action caliber and the .300 WinMag appears the best choice.....or is it?

What would I need to do to start this project? I know the action will work for the caliber chosen, I realize I would need to order a new barrel. Any recommendations? Would I need to change bolts? Stocks are easy once I know the contour barrel I'm getting.

Any helpful hints?

Thanks,

Ed

Poodleshooter

.300 Win Mag is a magnum length action cartridge, not a standard length like the .270. The boltface is also the wrong size. You'd also need to rebarrel it. All of these are expensive.
Bottomline, sell it on gunbroker or at the local gunshop, then buy a .300WinMag.

SHIVAN

So what caliber then.....

I was already resigned to a rebarrel. I was thinking the guys at Tac-Ord could do the work. It looks like about $1500 to rebarrel, change extractors, trigger work, bed, new stock, etc etc etc. Rather than take a hit on my low end rifle I can just find a caliber that my action will work with.....

Bogie

You've got a ".308" size boltface on that rifle. Unless you wanna futz around with trying to get a "magnum" cartridge to work, which would involve a different bolt/opening up the existing boltface (trust me, don't go there...), you probably want to go with a cartridge you can use there.

Now, you say you want a 1K capable rifle. My suggestion would be to go with a benchrest-quality gunsmith who has been proven at 1,000 yard competition. For this application, I'd recommend Bill Shehane (www.scopeusout.com), and the 6/284 or 6.5/284 cartridges. Good ballistic coefficient, plenty of speed, and they're proven performers at distance. He makes some of the more accurate rifles out there, and makes 'em darn pretty too...

You'll drop around $400 on the barrel, $200 on the trigger (Jewell!), $300 or more on the stock, and whatever action work needs to be done.

Celt

The 270 action is the same size as a magnum action on a 700.
The bolt face would have to be opened up to the take the larger case head of the WM and a Sako style extractor installed.

No big deal since if you are going through the trouble to rebarrel, you should have the action trued. It is a simple matter to change the bolt face size while doing this.
You could even go one further and chamber in 300RUM. I have gotten great results with this caliber and it kicks butt at 1K. The 300WM is fine as well, but the RUM has better 1K ballistics.

Done many of the conversions described above. Any good smith can do this. I would however go with one that is known for accuracy so you can be sure the rifle will shoot great.

No changing bolts or anything like that. Just a simple operation of opening the bolt face and installing a Sako style extractor.

You should only have about $1100.00 in it with trueing, barreling, barrel, Sako extractor and bedding.
barrel $300.00
True action and install barrel $300.00
Sako ext. $115.00
Bedding $100.00
Barrel $300.00

Those are average prices from good accuracy smiths.
Depending on what stock you want you will have from $300.00 to $500.00 into it.

FWIW
Celt

Bogie

Oh yeah - you may also want to talk to Billy Stevens.

FWIW, these guys are gonna be out of touch for the next week or so. The IBS "point blank" nationals are this coming week, along with the 1,000 yard nationals.